• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What are you listening to?

RyanY said:
I don't know why but I'm just not a fan of Absolution, there are only 3 songs of the Album that I can get into and they are Hysteria, Time is running out and Butterflies and Hurricanes. I can't say I really enjoy listening to any other of the songs that's not to say I don't see why others do. Not a fan of Stockholm Syndrome at all, I've gave it plenty of listens but not once have I found myself thoroughly enjoying it.

To be honest if it weren't for awful songs like Guiding Light and Undisclosed Desires on The Resistance I'd prefer that to Absolution.

Edit: Plug in Baby a Pop song? Plug in Baby is awesome and is far better than Supremacy.
See Stockholm Syndrome live and say that.

Almost every song on TR is a disappointment. Uprising is great live, but what were they thinking turning it into a pop song on record? Resistance is disgraceful, UD is disappointing to say the least, GL is the worst album track they've ever made, Unnatural Selection on record is a crap New Born with a dull breakdown and IBTY is embarrassing.

As far as I'm concerned, T2L is what Resistance wanted to be but failed.

Absolution rocks hard. Real hard. They were at their peak of their creative and live powers and although after Butterflies it's mostly hit and miss, there's no cheese and it was produced properly, unlike BH&R.

Plug In Baby is just a riff, it's a short, simple song with standard structure and the band don't even understand the lyrics.

BH&R is one of the worst produced albums I've ever heard. It's ridiculously flat. Songs like Hoodoo are strangled and Knights Of Cydonia lacks so much punch. What were they thinking shortening and softening Assassin and changing Burning Bandits into Exo-Politics?! There's no real flow until after Exo-Politics either. Suppose that's to be expected now though.

Nick said:
Er... TSP, Blackout, S4A, Apocalypse Please and FAWY down please you then?! Stockholm Syndrome is great.

The Resistance has no stand-out individual songs, they are all fairly average. Exogenesis is genius though.

Nope sorry, I've given them a good few listens and I just don't find myself getting into them.

And Resistance may not have a stand out song but which of their albums does, I can't think of one stand out song from any of their albums. I think that Uprising is a nice fun song to listen to Resistance is good if your in the mood, Unnatural Selection is Amazing and MK Ultra is a Beast of a song and one of the songs that got me into Muse (Along with Bliss). Extrogenesis is only good if you play all three together but as a piece of music they are fantastic.

Edit: I might change my mind if I see it live, but I don't have and won't get any tickets in the near future, unless you have some spare? :p

I'll tell you what, I'll give Absolution a listen through again tomorrow just for you Blaze. :p

RyanY said:
Nick said:
Er... TSP, Blackout, S4A, Apocalypse Please and FAWY down please you then?! Stockholm Syndrome is great.

The Resistance has no stand-out individual songs, they are all fairly average. Exogenesis is genius though.

Nope sorry, I've given them a good few listens and I just don't find myself getting into them.

And Resistance may not have a stand out song but which of their albums does, I can't think of one stand out song from any of their albums. I think that Uprising is a nice fun song to listen to Resistance is good if your in the mood, Unnatural Selection is Amazing and MK Ultra is a Beast of a song and one of the songs that got me into Muse (Along with Bliss). Extrogenesis is only good if you play all three together but as a piece of music they are fantastic.
Fury? Ruled By Secrecy? Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist?

No stand out songs? Showbiz, Citizen Erased, Butterflies, Take A Bow, Exogenesis/MK jump out straight away for starters.

Resistance is a remake of Starlight without the bits that make Starlight acceptable, US is a beast live, but on record it's dead, MKU is great, which is why I didn't mention it before.

RyanY said:
And Resistance may not have a stand out song but which of their albums does,

Well:

Showbiz has Showbiz, which is frankly amazing, and Sunburn.

OoS has New Born, Bliss, Hyper Music, Space Dementia Micro Cuts and of course Citizen Erased.

Absolution has Butterflies and Hurricanes and Stockholm Syndrome.

BH&R has MotP.

The Resistance has Exogenesis.

T2L has Animals.

How are these not stand-out songs?

PiB may be just a "simple song", but the majority of the songs ever made are just intro, verse, chorus etc. Lyrics are irrelevant in such songs, I only take notice in slower songs when it matters more: eg. Hoodoo.

Blaze said:

Well, Fury isn't really on the album, RBS is fairly boring to me and ToaDA is good, but nothing special. I mean, it's just a riff and a short, simple song. ;)

I'll give them a listen to tomorrow Blaze. :p

I said I can't think of one song from each album if I think of an album I think of multiple songs, not just one:

Showbiz: Muscle Museum, Sunburn and Showbiz
Orgin of Symmetry: New Born, Bliss, Citizen Erased, Plug in Baby, etc
Absolution: Hysteria, Time Is Running Out, Butterflies and Hurricanes
BH&R: Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, Assasin, SMBH. Knights of Cydonia
The Resistance: Uprising, Resistance, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra
2nd Law: Supremacy, Madness, Panic Station, Survival, Follow Me, Animals, Unsustainable.

RyanY said:
I'll give them a listen to tomorrow Blaze. :p

And for stand out songs if I think of an album then multiple songs jump out at me not just one:

Showbiz: Muscle Museum, Sunburn and Showbiz
Orgin of Symmetry: New Born, Bliss, Citizen Erased, Plug in Baby, etc
Absolution: Hysteria, Time Is Running Out, Butterflies and Hurricanes
BH&R: Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, Assasin, SMBH. Knights of Cydonia
The Resistance: Uprising, Resistance, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra
2nd Law: Supremacy, Madness, Panic Station, Survival, Follow Me, Animals, Unsustainable.
Take out the highlighted ones, put in Stockholm Syndrome, Hoodoo, USOE and I'll agree. Can't really comment too much on an album that's not officially out yet, but Survival is a low point for me. Wouldn't call Madness a highlight either.

Nick said:
RyanY said:
And Resistance may not have a stand out song but which of their albums does,

Well:

Showbiz has Showbiz, which is frankly amazing, and Sunburn.

OoS has New Born, Bliss, Hyper Music, Space Dementia Micro Cuts and of course Citizen Erased.

Absolution has Butterflies and Hurricanes and Stockholm Syndrome.

BH&R has MotP.

The Resistance has Exogenesis.

T2L has Animals.

How are these not stand-out songs?

PiB may be just a "simple song", but the majority of the songs ever made are just intro, verse, chorus etc. Lyrics are irrelevant in such songs, I only take notice in slower songs when it matters more: eg. Hoodoo.

Blaze said:

Well, Fury isn't really on the album, RBS is fairly boring to me and ToaDA is good, but nothing special. I mean, it's just a riff and a short, simple song. ;)
PIB doesn't do much for me live either, but whatever, on the album it works perfectly.

RBS has grew on me. I think it's haunting. I don't rate TOADA much but thought it was worth a shot putting it in there. :p

Back to T2L, what really is the deal with Explorers? I just don't get it, it's so pretty and sad, and it's not offensively bad, it's just so forgettable and weird.

If I was forced to pick a favorite from each album it would be.

Muscle Museum
New Born
Hysteria
Knights of Cydonia
Unnatural Selection
Sepremacy (not 100% on this though)

But it's very hard for me to pick one song that sticks out to me as the best song on a single album.

Edit: This is my opinion Blaze, I'm not saying you have agree with what I'm saying.

Showbiz (dat scream)
Citizen Erased (best song they'll ever make)
B&H (everything that is Muse in one song)
Map Of The Problematique (if every new-Muse song sounded like this and had lyrics as good as this, the world would be a better place)
Exogenesis (best thing they'll ever do)
If I had to go for one from T2L already, I'd go Supremacy. Again, it's Muse properly being Muse.

This song is one of those songs that's annoying but it's good... ::) We have even learnt the dance :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]

Blaze said:
Back to T2L, what really is the deal with Explorers? I just don't get it, it's so pretty and sad, and it's not offensively bad, it's just so forgettable and weird.

It's alright, but I quite like the repetition of "Free me" quite a nice touch, and almost mesmerising. The rest is forgettable though.

But, I can understand the hate towards Big Freeze, but the part after the chorus is very good. The bass is the most effective in the whole album.

Blaze said:
Showbiz (dat scream)
Citizen Erased (best song they'll ever make)
B&H (everything that is Muse in one song)
Map Of The Problematique (if every new-Muse song sounded like this and had lyrics as good as this, the world would be a better place)
Exogenesis (best thing they'll ever do)
If I had to go for one from T2L already, I'd go Supremacy. Again, it's Muse properly being Muse.

That's a list there, fairly similar to mine I believe. :p

The chorus of Big Freeze isn't bad actually, but it's the verses and the backing vocals. It's better than Guiding Light at least.

That 'rivers running free' bit of Explorers reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it, and it's annoying me now. It's sort of growing on me, I like the lyrics, but the end is a bit WTF.

The end of Follow Me annoys me a lot as well, it's pretty much Where The Streets Have No Name. Urgh.

This is what boredom leads to. Here's, pretty much, every Muse song in existence, and there rating out of 10. The average mark of the album is then underneath. My favourite song in each album is in bold, the worst is underlined. My 5 favourite b-sides are also in bold, with the 5 worst underlined.

Muse song ratings:

Showbiz:

1. Sunburn 9.1
2. Muscle Museum 8.5
3. Fillip 7.5
4. Falling Down 5.5
5. Cave 8.1
6. Showbiz 9.3
7. Unintended 7.2
8. Uno 7.7
9. Sober 6.8
10. Escape 6.6
11. Overdue 6.0
12. Hate This and I’ll Love You 8.2

Origin of Symmetry:

1. New Born 9.2
2. Bliss 9.4
3. Space Dementia 8.0
4. Hyper Music 9.4
5. Plug In Baby 8.3
6. Citizen Erased 9.7
7. Micro Cuts 8.7
8. Screenager 6.7
9. Dark Shines 7.6
10. Feeling Good 6.5
11. Megalomania 8.0

Absolution:

1. Intro N/A
2. Apocalypse Please 7.7
3. Time is Running Out 7.0
4. Sing For Absolution 8.0
5. Stockholm Syndrome 9.0
6. Falling Away With You 7.6
7. Interlude N/A
8. Hysteria 8.4
9. Blackout 7.5
10. Butterflies and Hurricanes 9.1
11. The Small Print 8.8
12. Endlessly 6.5
13. Thoughts of a Dying Atheist 7.3
14. Ruled By Secrecy 6.3

Black Holes and Revelations:

1. Take a Bow 7.7
2. Starlight 7.6
3. Supermassive Black Hole 6.7
4. Map of the Problematique 9.1
5. Soldier’s Poem 6.6
6. Invincible 7.6
7. Assassin 7.3
8. Exo-Politics 7.8
9. City of Delusion 7.6
10. Hoodoo 7.3
11. Knights of Cydonia 8.7

The Resistance:

1. Uprising 7.3
2. Resistance 6.9
3. Undisclosed Desires 6.1
4. United States of Eurasia 7.4
5. Guiding Light 5.7
6. Unnatural Selection 7.6
7. MK Ultra 7.5
8. I Belong to You 6.8
9. Exogenesis, Overture 7.6
10. Exogenesis, Cross-Pollination 8.0
11. Exogenesis, Redemption 6.9
Overall Exogenesis 9.3

The 2nd Law:

1. Supremacy 7.5
2. Madness 7.0
3. Panic Station 8.1
4. Prelude N/A
5. Survival 6.2
6. Follow Me 7.5
7. Animals 9.0
8. Explorers 6.6
9. Big Freeze 6.7
10. Save Me 7.5
11. Liquid State 6.8
12. Unsustainable 7.6
13. Isolated System 6.4

Hullabaloo:

1. Forced In 6.4
2. Shrinking Universe 7.1
3. Recess 7.1
4. Yes Please 7.5
5. Map of Your Head 7.4
6. Nature_1 7.1
7. Shine (Acoustic) 5.9
8. Ashamed 7.3
9. The Gallery 5.7
10. Hyper Chondriac Music 7.7

Dead Star/In Your World EP:

1. Dead Star 8.6
2. In Your World 8.6
3. Futurism 7.2
4. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You 7.6

B-sides:

Twin 7.1
Host 8.4
Coma 5.9
Shine (Electric) 6.3
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want 6.2
Eternally Missed 6.8
Glorious 7.6
Do We Need This? 6.5
Pink Ego Box 5.8
Con-Science 8.0
Minimum 7.5
Neutron Star Collision (Love is Forever) 6.0
Piano Thing 6.2
Execution Commentary 5.7
Spiral Static 8.1
Bedroom Acoustics 6.4
Popcorn 5.3
Prague 5.2
Fury 8.6
Easily 8.0
Crying Shame 7.4
The Groove 8.7
Nishe 5.8
Jimmy Kane 6.2
Agitated 7.5
Soaked 6.4

I'm surprised how the album ratings are pretty much exactly the same as if I did it without doing a song by song rating.

This will probably change tomorrow. :p

Rammstein Teletubbies are soooooooo much win ;D

[youtube]http://youtu.be/0csshsxj0MA[/youtube]

Was actually listening to Sonne when I paused it to watch that.

Scarred I think the word is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBeYoP9Wi0[/youtube]

Gold is one hell of a drug...