• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What are you listening to?

Tom said:
josht said:
Anyone else heard the new David Bowie song ??

Yes not keen at all. I only really like about half a dozen of his songs but this is way too dreary.
After hearing it last night on zane Lowe's show I didn't know what to make of it myself hopefully it grows on me.

Tom said:
The Strokes - Machu Picchu

Their finest song.

I'm afraid I disagree. Anything from Is This It? destroys Machu Picchu. Especially Alone, Together, Someday and Trying Your Luck. Although I do very much like that song anyway, and it is definitely the best from that, otherwise unsatisfactory, album.

Nick said:
Tom said:

Their finest song.

I'm afraid I disagree. Anything from Is This It? destroys Machu Picchu. Especially Alone, Together, Someday and Trying Your Luck. Although I do very much like that song anyway, and it is definitely the best from that, otherwise unsatisfactory, album.

Don't like the production of the first album, it is trying too hard to be retro. A lot of younger people like/liked it because they thought it was groundbreakingly original at the time when it wasn't really, but much of the media jumped on the bandwagon including the BBC etc. It's actually my least favourite album of theirs, but all of their CDs have many terrible songs with just a few gems.

Tom said:
Nick said:
Tom said:

Their finest song.

Don't like the production of the first album, it is trying too hard to be retro. A lot of younger people like/liked it because they thought it was groundbreakingly original at the time when it wasn't really, but much of the media jumped on the bandwagon including the BBC etc. It's actually my least favourite album of theirs, but all of their CDs have many terrible songs with just a few gems.

Well, our tastes definitely differ in this. Is This It is without doubt the peak of their career, musically and popularity wise. I mean, they headlined Reading and Leeds, with only that album out. The album itself is nothing very new, but that doesn't matter, as the melodies have been formed in a way, and they clearly thought about the specifics of the guitar tones and sounds before releasing. The songs are just very catchy, and very good, whilst all differing enough to sound like completely different pieces of music.

About the last sentence, I can't help but agree. Their albums only really sound half done, with half the songs being thrown together at the last moment. I don't really rate albums like this, as I listen to music in album form, and don't skip tracks. So I listen the hell out of my favourite albums, so they become even more liked in my opinion. My top five albums hugely eclipse all others (those being Origin of Symmetry, Nevermind, Is This It?, Abbey Road and Yours Truly, Angry Mob). I very much like a lot of other albums, but those five are just my favourites by quite a margin. It's weird, as they are all quite different styles, but they are all- sort of- linked by musical content and influences.

I must say I really dislike the new Bowie song.

Yes you may say I don't like him anyway (I don't) but in regards to this song it is rather dreary.

You me at six- the swarm, could do with band doing the same for SW7

josht said:
You me at six- the swarm, could do with band doing the same for SW7

Er... no.

I've listened to a few of things today:

Nirvana- Nevermind (a true classic, on of my favourites of all time).
Alt-J- A Pefect Wave (listened to it for the first time, and it's alright, I guess).
Radiohead- In Rainbows (my favourite Radiohead album, has a very good mix of songs of different styles).
With a couple of songs by Modest Mouse and Jack White thrown into the mix as well.