• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What demographic do Alton Towers succeed in the most

What demographic do Alton Towers succeed in the most

• Young fun

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Family fun

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Thrill seekers

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters

Ethan

TS Member
So this has been on my mind for a while and I’m sure everyone on the forum will have their opinion regarding this topic. Alton towers have attractions that are suitable for all ages and I personally think they hit the nail on the head for each demographic. I stuggle to decide what demographic Alton towers succeed in the most because the park is so well balanced. For the younger audience, CBeebies and Walliams world are very solid areas where kids can spend hours having fun. For families I think the quality of rides is outstanding. The lineup for families including the likes of Curse at Alton, Hex, Mine train, River rapids, Gangsta granny shows how creative Towers are with their rides. Off course you also have the family thrill coasters too such as Wicker man, Th13teen and Spinball. You then have the final category which is the thrill seekers. Rides such as Nemesis, Smiler, Oblivion, Rita, Galactica are oozing with quality and will satisfy even the most hardcore thrill seekers. You then have the returning Nemesis Sub-terra which is arguably one of the scariest and most thrilling experiences on park. It’s a tough choice between those main 3 categories/demographics that I have mentioned. I think if I had to pick one I’d say Alton towers are the best at family fun. Whilst I appreciate Towers have some of the best thrill rides in Europe, I don’t think the coasters compete with the very best around the world as well as Curse at Alton does with other dark rides. I think Curse might genuinely be one of the best dark rides out there and Towers have done an unbelievable job with the ride given the short time frame they had. Let me know what you guys think would love to see what you choose

At the moment none really.

If you want to be generous it has a very good mix and number of rollercoasters, on a par with many of the major players in the world but it lacks support attractions, entertainment and theming to excel consistently in any of those categories.

I think objectively AT has built its name off big innovative thrill rides. Nemesis, Oblivion, Thirteen, Galactica and Smiler were all UK/World's first rollercoasters and are the main attractions drawing in customers.

But like you say, i think they do a good job of covering all demographics, probably the best in the UK imo and certainly out of the Merlin parks. Lego, Chessington and Thorpe all have quite distinctive demographic priorities, which makes sense considering their geographical proximities.

I tend to use my son as the barometer. Legoland used to be his favourite, Chessington is at the moment and i expect when he's older Thorpe Park will be but i imagine he'll always enjoy Alton Towers and it's exciting each time he gets access to a new tier of rides.... with a hint of sadness when he loses interest in the previous dearest :cry:

I’d say that Alton Towers is possibly the most well-rounded of the four UK Merlin parks, but I’d personally have to vote for thrill seekers here.

The park has an excellent coaster selection, and I’d argue that big roller coasters is what most people know Alton Towers for at this point. As others have said above, the park has mainly made a name for itself through its large-scale thrill rides, and the roller coasters are arguably what Alton Towers does best at present. Admittedly, the thrilling flat ride selection is lacking, but I’d argue that the strength of the coaster lineup makes up for this to a degree.

However, I’d argue that things are weaker in other demographics.

The middle-ground whole family demographic is one that has been squeezed at Alton Towers for a number of years, and while things like Hex, Congo River Rapids, the Runaway Mine Train and such are good attractions for this market, I’d argue that the park’s whole family lineup is not as strong as it once was.

The young children’s demographic admittedly does pretty well with CBeebies, but there isn’t tons for young kids outside of CBeebies Land. The only young children’s attractions I can really think of outside of CBeebies are Walliams and the flat rides in Mutiny Bay.

So for that reason, I’d have to vote for thrill seekers. Anecdotally, I also know of many people nowadays who will not take their kids to Alton Towers until they hit 1.4m tall, which might suggest that the thrill seeker market is the market that Alton Towers is most widely seen to succeed at.

Anecdotally, I also know of many people nowadays who will not take their kids to Alton Towers until they hit 1.4m tall, which might suggest that the thrill seeker market is the market that Alton Towers is most widely seen to succeed at.

This has been my policy except it's 1.4m for Thorpe Park (there really is very little for people shorter than that) and AT was 1.2m as it opened up Wicker Man, Thirteen and Spinball.

I think people are too harsh on Towers on here. I know it's 'cool' to hate on them but it's really not such a terrible place. I actually think some of you perhaps visit the place too often and it probably ruins whatever magic still remains for you. For me I usually only visit once or twice a season so it's always something I look forward to.

Yes there are obvious changes that would improve things but despite all this it's still a fantastic park for me. Coasters are great. The Towers, gardens and views are brilliant and some of the supporting rides are good too.

As for the question....

Thrill seekers I'd say are most looked after. Then it's the the really small kids and then it's the difficult Inbetween ages who are perhaps worst off.

Thrill seekers I'd say are most looked after. Then it's the the really small kids and then it's the difficult Inbetween ages who are perhaps worst off.
I’d agree with this assessment. I think modern-day Towers does best on the extreme ends of the demographic spectrum and is weakest on the all-rounders. Thrill seekers are well catered for by the big 7, and young kids are well catered for by CBeebies, but the middle ground is somewhat weaker, even if there are still some good attractions at the park for this market.

I’d also agree with your overall take on Alton. I still love it and get excited about a visit there, and it’s certainly still my favourite UK park and one of my favourites in the world (of what I’ve visited, at least)!

I think people are too harsh on Towers on here. I know it's 'cool' to hate on them but it's really not such a terrible place. I actually think some of you perhaps visit the place too often and it probably ruins whatever magic still remains for you. For me I usually only visit once or twice a season so it's always something I look forward to.

Yes there are obvious changes that would improve things but despite all this it's still a fantastic park for me. Coasters are great. The Towers, gardens and views are brilliant and some of the supporting rides are good too.

That's the nature of fandom really. If you go anywhere people congregate to talk about the things they love (football team, musical artist, video games etc), most of the conversations tend to revolve around criticisms.

But of course if you took the thing away, everyone would be devastated. I think it amounts for a longing for something to be as good as it can be because ultimately people feel so passionate about it.

I still think AT is brilliant and easily the best overall theme park in the UK. Like you i also benefit from less frequent visits and don't have the comparison point of some of the higher end theme parks elsewhere in the world.

What ones do you believe they’re failing at?
The family market where kids are older than cbeebie land and not big enough for the big 7.
Also it has the feeling that they are trying to get at your bank balance every where you look.
If they cut down on the amount of posters for fast pass, it would feel better. The vibe i get is it themed to corporate greed.
I know it a bit unfair as it is a business, however my last visit a while ago, left me thinking sale targets the staff are given are too high.

So this has been on my mind for a while and I’m sure everyone on the forum will have their opinion regarding this topic. Alton towers have attractions that are suitable for all ages and I personally think they hit the nail on the head for each demographic. I stuggle to decide what demographic Alton towers succeed in the most because the park is so well balanced. For the younger audience, CBeebies and Walliams world are very solid areas where kids can spend hours having fun. For families I think the quality of rides is outstanding. The lineup for families including the likes of Curse at Alton, Hex, Mine train, River rapids, Gangsta granny shows how creative Towers are with their rides. Off course you also have the family thrill coasters too such as Wicker man, Th13teen and Spinball. You then have the final category which is the thrill seekers. Rides such as Nemesis, Smiler, Oblivion, Rita, Galactica are oozing with quality and will satisfy even the most hardcore thrill seekers. You then have the returning Nemesis Sub-terra which is arguably one of the scariest and most thrilling experiences on park. It’s a tough choice between those main 3 categories/demographics that I have mentioned. I think if I had to pick one I’d say Alton towers are the best at family fun. Whilst I appreciate Towers have some of the best thrill rides in Europe, I don’t think the coasters compete with the very best around the world as well as Curse at Alton does with other dark rides. I think Curse might genuinely be one of the best dark rides out there and Towers have done an unbelievable job with the ride given the short time frame they had. Let me know what you guys think would love to see what you choose

They don’t that’s the point…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being generous, all of them.

As has been said. Everything up and running the glaring omissions are probably a family dark ride. (POTC, Ratatouille, Symbolica)

A flying theatre & 4D cinema.

Supporting family thrill flat rides.

Family thrill indoor coaster.

Entertainment, high quality indoor daytime show and “nighttime spectacular” in some form.

Overall I wouldn’t say there’s a whole segment missing, but as Nick Varney said reasonably recently. Taking his family and elderly relatives to the park recently, one of the few things suitable for the whole family is/was probably Duel and Hex.

Outside of that is a bit lacking.

Probably one of the most frustrating parts of Alton is its 5 great investment years away from being an excellent park.

With some long term planning and fixing the issues regarding nighttime infrastructure, food, maintenance, entertainment and a few key rides.

Having spent a number of years raising 3 children from babies up to the 1.4 benchmark, with the youngest finally reaching it at the end of last season, I can testify that Alton is the second worst park I've been to in the UK for catering for the whole family (the worst being Thorpe).

When the boys were toddlers, we had storybook land and numerous other attractions dotted around the park we could do. In X Sector we had Enterprise. In CCL we had the 4d Cinema, Wobble World, Frog Hopper and Charlie. Then we had the Flume and Heave Ho in Mutiny Bay, the Rapids and RMT were far better experiences than they are now, with Duel on the way to Blade which still had 0.9mtr height restriction. It's very important to note that most of these attractions could be enjoyed together, as a whole family, without us having to split up, with single rider queues being the access point if we wanted to nip on the odd coaster in-between.

When my daughter started coming in 2015 as a baby, we were just a year away from this experience being no longer possible. It's been hard to entertain her for the following 7 years, albeit with a light reprieve when she reached 1.2. There's a huge, massive, gaping hole for younger families in the park lineup, and with the height restrictions already increased on RMT and Blade, Enterprise gone, Flume, Charlie and the 4d cinema long gone, with X Sector and Forbidden Valley set to become all but young family no go areas, next season is probably going to be the worst yet for this market.

I can't think of a single park in the UK other than Thorpe that neglects this section of the market like this. Take you toddlers to Cbeebies land, then you're pretty much neglected from school age until 1.2 and 1.4. If you do go with a diverse age and height range as a family, you'll likely have to spend the day splitting up as there's very few attractions you can enjoy together.

The fact there’s a substantial split between “family fun” and “thrill seekers” suggests they’re not truly succeeding at either demographic. The park doesn’t know what it is currently.

Yes, they market themselves as a “family” resort but take out the coaster offering and there really isn’t a lot to do

Alton definitely have visions of the "Resort" that are way above their standing. We have themed Travelodge style accommodation, with questionable food & beverage offering / bars that shut by 11pm etc. That is before we move onto the pig-shed accommodation.

Yes, the big 7 coasters are very good and cater well to thrill seekers. Families are well catered for with CBeebies. But I agree that there is nowhere near enough inbetween. Alton needs a notable number of support rides (preferably some indoors) to soak up guests.

It can be done - look at Europa Park. It's not got the mega budgets that the likes of Disney have, but what it installs / builds oozes quality and is looked after. 4* Superior Hotels, excellent food & beverage, excellent rides (& reliability of them too) etc.

It is also worth noting that it is probably the family offering of CBeebies is probably what kept Alton Towers going for the grim couple of years after the Smiler crash.

Alton definitely have visions of the "Resort" that are way above their standing. We have themed Travelodge style accommodation, with questionable food & beverage offering / bars that shut by 11pm etc. That is before we move onto the pig-shed accommodation.

Yes, the big 7 coasters are very good and cater well to thrill seekers. Families are well catered for with CBeebies. But I agree that there is nowhere near enough inbetween. Alton needs a notable number of support rides (preferably some indoors) to soak up guests.

It can be done - look at Europa Park. It's not got the mega budgets that the likes of Disney have, but what it installs / builds oozes quality and is looked after. 4* Superior Hotels, excellent food & beverage, excellent rides (& reliability of them too) etc.

It is also worth noting that it is probably the family offering of CBeebies is probably what kept Alton Towers going for the grim couple of years after the Smiler crash.
Toddlers are well catered for with CBeebies land , not families

Whether it's DLP, Europa, Phantasialand, Efteling, or closer to home, Blackpool, Paultons, Oakwood or Drayton, I've never struggled to find things to keep the whole family entertained as much as I have visiting Towers in recent years.

It's not just about a list of attractions that are between 0.9 and 1.2. It's about the quality, who they appeal to, and their location within the park. Alton is hopeless at this.

The shortsightedness of the cuts that have occurred are focused on keeping the headline crowd draws open, namely the big expensive thrill coasters, and the extensive IP pre-school area. Everything else that makes a family park in-between took a battering.

Then you look at the locations. Cbeebies is a fenced off area with toddler attractions that appeal to very few families with children above the age of 4, heavily concerntrated into one area near the park entrance. Bar Blade - Forbidden Valley, X Sector and Dark Forest are now thrill area's only. When you look at what's left, and even take in to account the fact that Battle Galleons is highly seasonal, there's not a lot left dotted round the park is there?

Whether it's DLP, Europa, Phantasialand, Efteling, or closer to home, Blackpool, Paultons, Oakwood or Drayton, I've never struggled to find things to keep the whole family entertained as much as I have visiting Towers in recent years.

It's not just about a list of attractions that are between 0.9 and 1.2. It's about the quality, who they appeal to, and their location within the park. Alton is hopeless at this.

The shortsightedness of the cuts that have occurred are focused on keeping the headline crowd draws open, namely the big expensive thrill coasters, and the extensive IP pre-school area. Everything else that makes a family park in-between took a battering.

Then you look at the locations. Cbeebies is a fenced off area with toddler attractions that appeal to very few families with children above the age of 4, heavily concerntrated into one area near the park entrance. Bar Blade - Forbidden Valley, X Sector and Dark Forest are now thrill area's only. When you look at what's left, and even take in to account the fact that Battle Galleons is highly seasonal, there's not a lot left dotted round the park is there?

Great post. Arguably Walliams world…is a mess as it stands and should be the “family” area of the park.

The potential is there, reopen and improve the 4D cinema.

Re-use/replace the old car showroom. Maybe with another Garmendale dark ride given its similar footprint to GG.

Retheme dungeons into something people want.

Install Project Horizon.

Re-use the old Nickelodeon building into a shop/cafe and you have a great area.

The lack of long term planning/vision into how to run a successful theme park rather than whatever the marketing focus group fancied this year has really hampered the place.