• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What driving route do you take to Alton Towers once you leave the motorway?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I know this might seem like a weird thread, but given that Alton Towers is not known for its excellent local roads or being easy to access once one leaves the M6 or M1, I’d be interested to know; what driving route do you typically take to Alton Towers once you leave the motorway? From having looked at Maps, there appear to be quite a few different routes to pick from even if limiting your choices to one of either the M1 or M6 rather than both, so I’d be interested to know which way you typically get to the park.

The reason I made this thread is because whenever my dad drives us to Alton Towers, he seems to take us there via a route that none of the satnavs or navigation apps recognise as a route to Alton Towers. From having examined the local roads on a map, he comes off the M6 Northbound at Stoke-on-Trent, near to the Stoke City football stadium, and then briefly takes the A500 before joining the A50 between Stoke and Uttoxeter. He then comes off that road at a roundabout next to a McDonalds in Uttoxeter and drives along a different road through Rocester (past the JCB headquarters), Denstone and then Alton village itself before arriving at the park in a Northbound direction. When I went to the park as a child, I always associated the journey to Alton Towers with things like the JCB plant and the winding through Alton village itself, as that was the way my dad always drove us.

However, as I said above, this route does not seem to be on the radar of any navigation app or satnav. From where I’m based, Maps recommends coming off the M6 at Stafford rather than Stoke-on-Trent and briefly driving along the A513 around the top of Stafford before winding along local roads that don’t even seem to be classified as A or B roads. This takes you through sparse countryside and a number of tiny Staffordshire villages and hamlets before eventually hitting the town of Cheadle and passing through Oakamoor to arrive at the park in a Southbound direction. The only time I’ve ever been driven to the park this way was by my mum, who religiously followed the satnav the whole way and got increasingly angry and confused with each rural Staffordshire village we were directed through…

With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; what is your preferred route to Alton Towers once you’ve left the motorway? Do you follow the route suggested by a navigation app, or do you have a different route that you prefer, as my dad does?

For clarity, I put this in Trip Reports and Plans because I wasn’t sure where else would be better to put it, and I also thought that a discussion about preferable driving routes to Alton Towers may be helpful for folks who are planning a trip.

I don't use motorways. I come across Shropshire and cross m6 at junction 15.
Turn at bet 365 stadium down A50 to blythe marsh turning for Cheadle.
Though cheadle to oakwood and in to towers

Being a southerner, it's off the M1 (northbound) at J23a for a lovely service station visit, brief stint on the A453, then however long the A50 takes into Uttoxeter. So all the usual sights of the legendary McDonald's Roundabout, JCB, Alton Village, Station, and (if I'm not driving) a cheeky look through the trees to see X-Sector.

Been a few different ways when going from various locations, but that's how it's usually done. Tend to feel a bit lost when coming from Stoke via Farley!

I drive across cross the Peak District and don't use the motorway, much nicer drive from S. Yorkshire. Have used the M1 in the past southbound, off on to the A38, eventually winding up coming in via Star Crossroads and Farley. Also done it Northbound from elsewhere, just bunged the satnav on.

When I go to Alton Towers, I usually stick to the main routes recommended by navigation apps. But I think as long as you reach the park safely and have a great time, that's all that matters! 🚗

Coming from Dudley/Oldbury I usually get off the M6 at junction 14 for Stafford (North, I think). Then it's past Staff's Uni and the Police headquarters (or whatever it is) and just follow the country roads past Weston etc until arriving at Uttoxeter (not past the McDonalds) and then through the town past Tesco etc. Then it's past JCB and through Alton village past the shops and down the hill. I sometimes used to just drive non-motorway through Wolverhampton, Penkridge and Stafford and then finish as per above but driving has become more and more annoying over the years so I can't really be doing with the faff and divvies on the roads any more so just get on the motorway not far from home.

From the SW, it’s usually M6 off at Stoke and through Blythe Bridge, Cheadle and Oakamoor. Tends to be more consistent than Stafford, Uttoxeter and Alton village in my experience, although if I need to do a Tesco shop on the way in I’ll do the latter.

From Bristol it’s M5 to M6 then whichever route Siri fancies that day. Mine is temperamental so it’s a surprise every time - sometimes we end up going past JCB, sometimes we don’t. One time we were driving though little villages for what felt like hours - still have no idea why we were taken that way 🤷‍♀️

Hi guys. I know this might seem like a weird thread, but given that Alton Towers is not known for its excellent local roads or being easy to access once one leaves the M6 or M1, I’d be interested to know; what driving route do you typically take to Alton Towers once you leave the motorway? From having looked at Maps, there appear to be quite a few different routes to pick from even if limiting your choices to one of either the M1 or M6 rather than both, so I’d be interested to know which way you typically get to the park.

The reason I made this thread is because whenever my dad drives us to Alton Towers, he seems to take us there via a route that none of the satnavs or navigation apps recognise as a route to Alton Towers. From having examined the local roads on a map, he comes off the M6 Northbound at Stoke-on-Trent, near to the Stoke City football stadium, and then briefly takes the A500 before joining the A50 between Stoke and Uttoxeter. He then comes off that road at a roundabout next to a McDonalds in Uttoxeter and drives along a different road through Rocester (past the JCB headquarters), Denstone and then Alton village itself before arriving at the park in a Northbound direction. When I went to the park as a child, I always associated the journey to Alton Towers with things like the JCB plant and the winding through Alton village itself, as that was the way my dad always drove us.

However, as I said above, this route does not seem to be on the radar of any navigation app or satnav. From where I’m based, Maps recommends coming off the M6 at Stafford rather than Stoke-on-Trent and briefly driving along the A513 around the top of Stafford before winding along local roads that don’t even seem to be classified as A or B roads. This takes you through sparse countryside and a number of tiny Staffordshire villages and hamlets before eventually hitting the town of Cheadle and passing through Oakamoor to arrive at the park in a Southbound direction. The only time I’ve ever been driven to the park this way was by my mum, who religiously followed the satnav the whole way and got increasingly angry and confused with each rural Staffordshire village we were directed through…

With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; what is your preferred route to Alton Towers once you’ve left the motorway? Do you follow the route suggested by a navigation app, or do you have a different route that you prefer, as my dad does?

For clarity, I put this in Trip Reports and Plans because I wasn’t sure where else would be better to put it, and I also thought that a discussion about preferable driving routes to Alton Towers may be helpful for folks who are planning a trip.
With my father we did a similar route to you, as a gosling. When I started visiting with my OH we started using a combination of Waze and Google Maps, which would send us through lots of different villages and is technically a few minutes quicker. It was putting a lot of strain on my OH though and he started to resent the drive, it was quite tricky, lots of clutch work and his poor knee wasn't happy.

Now we put Waitrose Uttoxeter into Waze / Google Maps, and go through JCB and Alton to get there; coming off at North Stafford, going through the old University site and past the fire station.

What Mr N is doing is taking a route that pre-dates satellite navigation and sticking to what would be the logical route from a distance if you used an A-Z map or the road signs. Since my driving license also pre-dates sat navs, I do it identically to your dad. It's also the route my own dad used to take when I was a child and it's like a family tradition.

I know it may sound weird to locals, but the many land marks along the way is just 'the Alton Towers route'. The stop at Frankly Services is almost exactly the half way point in terms of time. The Oldbury Viaduct on the M5 and the sight of Ray Hall interchange signifying that you're nearly on the M6 so nearly there. Seeing the signage for the first time as you approach the A500 exit. Turning right at the roundabout by the stadium and seeing the chimney stack before driving under the pedestrian bridges and the tunnel in Stoke. The horrid concrete road surface on the A50. Going past JCB. The wonderful trip through Denstone and Alton village. All part of the experience.

I've used sat nav before, either Google or my in car system during road closures and it's just not the same. So I stick to what I know. I find following navigation stressful anyway and it's not worth the 5-10 mins it saves from a near 3 hour journey anyway.

Same way as this, I come off M6 Southbound at either J16 or J15 depending on if I've had enough motorway or not by then (staying on the M6 to J15 skips a large section on the A500). This is the route I remember going as a kid.

We approach the Uttoxeter roundabout from the south (McDonalds to the right of the roundabout), then go past JCB, turn left just after it and through Alton village that way.

Main roads are the A38 and A50 from my location. There is an alternative where you don't join the A38 at Alrewas and take a back road route, taking you near HMP Dovegate, then brings you out to the McDonalds island from a different junction. Usually though, we hit the A38 and A50 route.

On a clear night one winter, we did make it from Alton Towers to my local town in record time, 35/40 minutes perhaps, Usually takes 50mins to an hour. We stuck to the speed limits of course 👀...the roads were clear.

If we want snacks A50 way via Greggs/Starbucks, otherwise from planet tean, freehay, into the bottom of the village. Past the former station and up to the park

Last edited:
I'm from the barren north (West Yorkshire). I come down the M1, leave at J28 onto the A38, then leave that onto the A52 Ashbourne Road. Follow that all the way, then take the left turn not long after Dog and Partridge and then after a little while another left turn onto Star Bank, then left turn at Cotton crossroads and along the horribly narrow road to Towers entrance.

Going back home this way also includes a charging/teatime stop at either A52 Markeaton McDonalds or M1 J29A services.

I've tried the M62/M6/Uttoxeter route once and even though it took the same amount of time it just seemed so much longer to me - I guess because of all the motorway travelling and it seems longer because I'm going round what looks like 3 sides of a square on the map rather than a broadly diagonal route. The downside of the route I take is that it's bleak AF in the dark or in the autumn when it's foggy.

No motorways for me. I take the back-roads from Congleton and join the A523 at Rushton Spencer, go through Leek, then the A53 up to Peak Wildlife Park, and take some more minor roads, turning left at The Star. No real need for me to take any other route.

M6 southbound > A500 through Stoke to the stadium > A50 either off at Blythe Bridge and up through Cheadle or carry on down to the Maccies roundabout and up past JCB and Alton village.

Once with a fellow TSTer I ended up taking a wrong turn somewhere, then took another wrong turn trying to get back to the main road, ended up down some terrifying track that I don't think was even on Google Maps back then. Apparently there's an even worse one though lol