• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What have you learned in your years as an enthusiast?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Some on here have been theme park enthusiasts for a very long time, and over a period of multiple years, you’re bound to learn a thing or two. Whether you’ve learned what you most enjoy or whether you’ve learned how to get the best out of a park or ride, years of visiting parks is bound to have taught you things and shaped your perspectives in some way. I know it certainly has for me! With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; what have you learned in your years as a theme park enthusiast? What have your years of park visiting experience taught you, and what new perspectives have you gained from years of coaster riding and park visiting?

I’ll get the ball rolling with some of the things I’ve learned over my years of theme park visiting…

Personally, I can currently think of two, off the top of my head:
  1. The first thing I can think of is that you can’t always judge a coaster based on only one ride. In my early years of theme park enthusiasm, I often only rode things once and didn’t get what people said about needing multiple rerides to fully appreciate something. I used to think that if I truly loved a coaster, I knew it from the very first ride. The second I first got off The Swarm in July 2014, I instantly knew I loved it and I instantly knew it was my #1. The second I first got off Mako in August 2016, I instantly knew I loved it and I instantly knew it was my #1. The second I got off Icon in August 2018, I instantly knew I loved it and I instantly knew it was right up there with Mako (despite it now only being my #11, it felt like one of the times Mako came closest to being dethroned when I first got off in 2018). But in recent years, I’ve grown increasingly sceptical of my previous theory that you can fully get the measure of a revered coaster based on only one ride. The key formative moment that taught me this was when I went to Florida last year and rode both VelociCoaster and Iron Gwazi, amongst others, for the first time. Both rides were brilliant on the first run… but I wasn’t instantly sold on them being absolutely top tier for me. In both cases, though, the second ride really was the charm; both VelociCoaster and Iron Gwazi were catapulted into that top tier after I took a reride, and it was the second ride that showed me just how great they both were. To some extent, I also experienced this with Hyperia at Thorpe Park recently; I absolutely loved it the first time, but it took the second ride to make me conclusively think that it was absolutely top tier. Now I will say that this mainly applies to hyped up, revered coasters for me; I still feel I can get the true measure of a kiddie coaster, Reverchon spinning wild mouse or Zamperla Volare from one ride without feeling the need to reride. If I actively don’t rate something, it’s unlikely that a second ride will change that. But in those cases where I love something, but I’m not sure if I think it’s truly top tier, I’ve learned that it sometimes takes a second ride to truly determine the full measure of it. Sometimes, of course, my initial opinion won’t change that much or it might possibly even decrease, but in some other glorious cases, everything falls into place with that reride, and the second ride shows me how truly top tier a coaster is when the first ride didn’t quite.
  2. The other thing I’ve learned is that intensity isn’t everything, and it’s fun and rerideability that’s truly important to me. In my very early years of riding big coasters, I used to be mildly dismissive of things that weren’t intense. In my early years of big coaster riding at Alton Towers, for example, my mentality was “1.4m height restriction or bust” once I was tall enough to ride the big 1.4m coasters. But over the years, I’ve grown to realise that there can be a point at which intensity is too much, and that the most enjoyable coaster experiences for me are the ones that are just plain fun and really rerideable. Intensity can definitely contribute to a fun and highly enjoyable ride for me, and being fun, thrilling and rerideable are definitely key components of a coaster that ranks highly for me, but I have definitely learned that the coasters that blow your head off with intensity are often not the ones I enjoy the most, and there are some coasters that aren’t particularly intense that I rate very highly. Hagrid’s at Universal is not an overly intense coaster, but it’s just such utterly joyous fun that I enjoyed it immensely and couldn’t not place it in my top 10! Wicker Man at Alton Towers is not an overly intense coaster, but the fun airtime and pacing makes me laugh so much that it can’t not be in my top 10 and 10/10 tier! Rides like these do not necessarily blow your head off with intensity, but are ridiculously good fun, and it’s rides like these that taught me that I truly care most about that combination of fun, thrills and rerideability rather than out-and-out intensity.
Those are just some of the lessons I’ve learned over my years of theme park enthusiasm; if I think of any more, I’ll post them! But I’d be interested to know; what lessons have you learned in your years of coaster riding and theme park visiting? What perspectives have your years of experience unearthed?

Fanboys are the worst.

Some want to go against the popular opinion because it's "cool".

Opinions can actually be factually incorrect (I.e. Those who think Baco is good).

Forums can become super toxic. Especially if run by certain "influencers".

Some of the best parks can be those small places you expect nothing from.

Not all creds count.

For me, it's enjoying my hobby and getting to know different people in the community (all who enjoy it in different ways - whether that is riding coasters, enjoying parks as a whole, travelling, going to Merlin parks).

I personally have expanded my horizons quite a lot by visiting some theme parks in Europe and I'd say this has really helped me grow both as a person, solo traveller and a theme park enthusiast.

As an enthusiast, I'd advise those looking to book their first overseas Theme Park trip to go for it (even if you're going solo), I'm sure you'd absolutely have the time of your life when you walk into the Berlin area of Phantasialand for the first time.

- Far too many pointless facts that garner a "uh huh" response outside of the enthusiast circles.

- If you have over 1,000 credits and make peace signs in every photo you take, you're an influencer who's opinion is valid over everyone else.

- If you charge people to re-ride Nemesis after having done so for 100 times and hit replay on the theme park management talk panel again and again, you're an influencer who's opinion is valid over everyone else.

- Being on a Discord server with ride hosts and retail staff means that you know the 10 year development plan for any given park before the actual management do.

- That there are totally deluded investors all over the world who find it far too easily to jump on a Zoom meeting with you and spray out their totally unrealistic (albeit, the small margin somewhat feasible) theme park plans.

- Even former park directors turned strategy consultants have detailed excel spreadsheets with their cred count.

- The Towers ruins aren't a beautiful historic landmark, they're a dumping ground for scare props.

- Theme park toilets are either the cess pit of the planet or worthy of a wonder of the world title.

- Theme parks and particular rides can yield a terrifying cult following.

- That it's just far less stressful to park in the Splash Landings car park by the monorail than get couped up in the main car park.

- Certain seaside amusement park managing directors are hilarious after a glass of prosecco.

- That GuGu Rides exist.

- That arm chair enthusiasts know more about ROI, operations, maintenance and F&B than 20-year plus industry veterans.

- The absurd world of those who never got the title of being a Disney Imagineer whilst at Disney, yet insist they are one.

- A feasibility study means nothing to the mass consensus. Something IS going to be built no matter what.

I'm only just getting started really.

I've converted a few people who were positive they hated theme parks with the following trick: plan your visits either on weekdays in late summer just after school in the surrounding area starts, or on weekdays during the first week of December.

Also as I've gotten older, appreciating the "resort" part as much as the "theme park" part. Taking a little more time to relax instead of running from ride to ride, being fine with taking a mid-day nap, and most importantly being perfectly fine with overpriced beers as a little special treat.

Terrible parks and coasters aren't always terrible

Great parks and coasters aren't always great

The meaning of cred varies massively

Just rock up to a park and go for it. Doesn't matter the country or even if you speak the language at all, just go for it.

One thing I’ve learned is that it’s okay to slow down and not chase every thrill. I used to try to cram as many rides as possible into a day, but now I appreciate the atmosphere, the food, and just soaking in the VIBES. Sometimes, a chill day with a couple of favorite rides is more memorable than running around trying to do everything.

Plan your trips and research the parks, but don't delve into exact details. It's nice to know what the park offers but your spoiling it if you watch all the POVs or read the descriptions and reviews. It's quite fun not knowing if the random dark ride the park has is going to be some amazing experience or absolute junk.

If you've gone on a trip abroad try and appreciate the country your in, it can be easy to just travel from park to park. But staying in the towns and cities and eating in the local restaurants in the evening adds another level to your trip. Think it's why I also enjoy fitting in smaller local parks as well.

I’d only count myself as a beginner enthusiast, and only for the last 18 months or so, but what I’ve learned so far is that the vast majority of people you meet in this hobby are really lovely, and willing to share their enthusiasm and knowledge.

I’ve also learned about loads of websites to help with planning/logging etc, and the seemingly unending data that can be collected and manipulated.

And finally I've learned that sleep is for the weak, just get on that Ryanair flight and go get those creds 😂

I have learned that the majority of theme parks around the world fail to get anywhere near the theoretical throughput of rides and attractions. This is usually due to poor systems and processes, insufficient ride staffing or unavailable ride vehicles.

Not wanting to go to beautiful places around the world (especially Europe) because there are no creds nearby

Actually visiting a beautiful place, but using it as a gateway to go to a mediocre park

Desperately wanting to go to Ohio because they have one of the best theme parks in the world (and Cedar Point) despite the fact that Americans meme on it

Fun!

Desperately wanting to go to Ohio because they have one of the best theme parks in the world (and Cedar Point) despite the fact that Americans meme on it
THIS!

Cedar Point and King's Island look phenomenal, but american's treat ohio like it's a dump, so don't see myself considering going anytime soon

Cedar Point and King's Island look phenomenal, but american's treat ohio like it's a dump, so don't see myself considering going anytime soon
Without wanting to drag this off topic, do they!? I've been twice now, can't say it seemed to be like a dump.

Get yourselves to Cedar Point and Kings Island!

Cred chasing is less important than actually having a fun day at a park. If you don’t get on a kiddie coaster that’s the same as a bunch of others you’ve ridden before then who cares. Enjoy the unique stuff and take time to relax and not go through everything like a highly planned military mission.

Everyone’s opinion’s are nothing too important in the grand scheme of things and as long as it’s not a blatantly stupid or baiting one then all opinions are equally valid.

Last edited:
You can have a much better day at an ostensibly bad park than you can at an ostensibly good park.

See Kingoland for example. Ride hardware is mostly Pinfaris and Soquet nonsense but the park is beautiful and the staff are fantastic. La Recre the next day, despite having a custom Eurofighter and a brand new Zamperla Shitta, was pretty poor by comparison.

Without wanting to drag this off topic, do they!? I've been twice now, can't say it seemed to be like a dump.

Get yourselves to Cedar Point and Kings Island!
Ohio is such a meme and I honestly have no idea why :tearsofjoy:

Even when I was a kid I asked my dad if we could go to Cedar Point in america and when I said it was in ohio and he went 'Ohio?!?!" in a disgusted voice hahaha