• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What separates enthusiasts from the GP?

I saw way more enthusiasts staring at their phones waving them at their own faces as they stepped into Wicker Man for the first time ever (on its soft opening day) than "the GP"
That's because the new generation of "enthusiasts" are more interested in being the first one to upload crap video of the ride to social media, than in actually experiencing the ride for themselves.

I think it's an interesting question and I don't think I would classify myself in either category. I think the vast majority of people just go to a theme park as a day out and for fun, while some others may look deeper into how it works and how it looks. I think an enthusiast though probably has a season pass and goes to multiple (even if just at home) theme parks in a year multiple times. It's like being an enthusiast of anything, chances are you're going to do whatever it is more times than the average person.

I think another difference may be how you approach the rides. What do you ride first, do you rush for the big ride far away or just simply go for whatever is nearest or maybe even the one that's your favourite?

For an example, I don't know how others spend their day at AT, but I notice the vast majority of people will queue for hours for say the Smiler or Nemesis. Much as I like them, I won't do that. I queued at the end of the day for 90 minutes for Wicker Man but that was an exception because I wanted to experience it at it's first Scarefest. Ultimately AT is about much more than the big rides. We once walked 42,000 steps at a Scarefest (more than a day trip to London, ouch!) because we circled the park like sharks searching for the shorter queue rides, and got on everything we wanted to go on because we were willing to wait and walk around rather than stay in a queue for one ride. I don't know how many other general members of the public do that. I feel like there is a one track mind "must go on big coaster" mentality rather than experiencing as much as you can in the time you have. Then again, I guess enthusiasts also don't mind waiting for big rides as they are a main draw..... so maybe it's just me and my unwillingness to stand still. :p

I also like to think that everyone notices theming and how well things look. Disneyland Paris is seared in my memory from 20 years ago when I last visited, so I always look at how a park looks and it's theming and it's something we always talk about when at theme parks. It's also for me an important part of a theme park, but again generally do the public bother about this?

I also like knowing more about behind the scenes.... but technical details are lost on me, and to be honest they don't really make my trips any better for knowing that sort of stuff. Although I quite like knowing which company makes what rides....the information doesn't stay with me for long. o_O

A ride breaks down on the lift hill and you get evacuated

GP = "OMG, this ride is dangerous, I'm going to die, lets phone the press, what an inconvenience..."

Enthusiast = "Wow, I get to do a free lift hill walk"

I wouldn't phone the press, but the first time I rode Nemesis after a few years break, I got stuck on the lift hill. My brother says it was for about three minutes... I was already very nervous and it felt like a LOT longer. The ride operator came up the steps, had a nice chat with the front row, guy behind was mourning the fact he'd left his Rolo's in the lockers otherwise he could have been eating them. My brother had a little shuteye..... so it was only me bothered by the situation.

I think it's an interesting question and I don't think I would classify myself in either category. I think the vast majority of people just go to a theme park as a day out and for fun, while some others may look deeper into how it works and how it looks. I think an enthusiast though probably has a season pass and goes to multiple (even if just at home) theme parks in a year multiple times. It's like being an enthusiast of anything, chances are you're going to do whatever it is more times than the average person.

I think another difference may be how you approach the rides. What do you ride first, do you rush for the big ride far away or just simply go for whatever is nearest or maybe even the one that's your favourite?

For an example, I don't know how others spend their day at AT, but I notice the vast majority of people will queue for hours for say the Smiler or Nemesis. Much as I like them, I won't do that. I queued at the end of the day for 90 minutes for Wicker Man but that was an exception because I wanted to experience it at it's first Scarefest. Ultimately AT is about much more than the big rides. We once walked 42,000 steps at a Scarefest (more than a day trip to London, ouch!) because we circled the park like sharks searching for the shorter queue rides, and got on everything we wanted to go on because we were willing to wait and walk around rather than stay in a queue for one ride. I don't know how many other general members of the public do that. I feel like there is a one track mind "must go on big coaster" mentality rather than experiencing as much as you can in the time you have. Then again, I guess enthusiasts also don't mind waiting for big rides as they are a main draw..... so maybe it's just me and my unwillingness to stand still. :p

I also like to think that everyone notices theming and how well things look. Disneyland Paris is seared in my memory from 20 years ago when I last visited, so I always look at how a park looks and it's theming and it's something we always talk about when at theme parks. It's also for me an important part of a theme park, but again generally do the public bother about this?

I also like knowing more about behind the scenes.... but technical details are lost on me, and to be honest they don't really make my trips any better for knowing that sort of stuff. Although I quite like knowing which company makes what rides....the information doesn't stay with me for long. o_O

I wouldn't phone the press, but the first time I rode Nemesis after a few years break, I got stuck on the lift hill. My brother says it was for about three minutes... I was already very nervous and it felt like a LOT longer. The ride operator came up the steps, had a nice chat with the front row, guy behind was mourning the fact he'd left his Rolo's in the lockers otherwise he could have been eating them. My brother had a little shuteye..... so it was only me bothered by the situation.
Did you end up being evac'd?

Did you end up being evac'd?

No, I didn't thankfully. Looking back on it now I was just being a big baby, and I've since seen other rides on youtube with those sort of steps, and having to leave Nemesis have been a doddle compared to some others..... it's not so high up for a start. :p

I've actually never been evacuated from a ride. Nothing that exciting has ever happened. Although I did see some guy getting stretchered out of the the Indiana Jones back doorway in DLP, with his face all bloodied. That's the sort of thing that 11 year old me didn't even bat an eyelid at. Getting stuck on a safe and not-upside-down part of Nemesis now? Freak out! :eek:

Was probably just a lift stop rather than a breakdown. Guest with phone usually. If your stoppage was less than 5 minutes then that's what it would've been :)

Well it was actually the first ride of the day, there were very riders on there, so I took it to be just a glitch. When you say a guest with a phone, do you mean someone was using it?

Whatever it was, no one else cared!

Yep, surprisingly common to get people with their phones out (normally recording their own on-ride videos :rolleyes:).

If it's a breakdown then the ride host will come and talk to all rows to explain there's a delay.

I have to hold my hand up and say that a few years ago I was on Marauder's Mayhem with my camera.... and the ride operators voice came over the sound system saying no photography allowed. I was so embarrassed. :oops: Genuinely didn't think anything of it for that ride. I was just wanted to show someone at home the speed they can go but yeah. Silly me. I think I've just put myself firmly into the "general public" category with that admission now. :p

The ride operator was definitely talking to the front row, I can't remember if anything was said to our row as he passed but it all seemed very relaxed and chilled.

I wouldn't even like to think of the damage that could be caused by someone dropping their phone whilst on a ride like Nemesis. Imagine if it flew behind and hit someone in the face. :eek:

I wouldn't even like to think of the damage that could be caused by someone dropping their phone whilst on a ride like Nemesis. Imagine if it flew behind and hit someone in the face. :eek:

That's the reason a phone out stops a ride. It's when somebody decides to get a phone out on Rita, usually announced by the OP so everyone in the queue and station knows exactly why the ride stopped.

Rita is an interesting one. I'd be surprised if staff are allowed to approach the train once the catch car has engaged, so it could be a long delay while it's made safe.

Rita is an interesting one. I'd be surprised if staff are allowed to approach the train once the catch car has engaged, so it could be a long delay while it's made safe.
I'm sure it can't be difficult to make safe - I imagine e-stopping the ride will dump any stored energy in the hydraulics, thus it's safe.

I'd imagine they'd need Technical Services verify the hydraulics are depressurised and isolate it before anybody can approach, rather than assume "It's e-stopped therefore it's fine". It would also take a while for everything to be reset, compared to a lift stop which the operator can simply restart themselves.

I'd imagine they'd need Technical Services verify the hydraulics are depressurised and isolate it before anybody can approach, rather than assume "It's e-stopped therefore it's fine". It would also take a while for everything to be reset, compared to a lift stop which the operator can simply restart themselves.
Tech services would definitely need to reset the system, yes, but it wouldn't be a fail-safe system if the operator themselves couldn't verify that the hydraulics are depressurised, and it's safe to approach.

The mentality that just because a member of the general public has a different opinion to enthusiasts it instantly makes them wrong and an idiot is so frustrating to me. People enjoy different things. I can completely appreciate how someone who only rides coasters once a year or so might find Rita more thrilling than Nemesis because of the initial wow-factor of the launch. Do I think that Rita is a more thrilling and intense ride than Nemesis? No. Can I see why people who aren't enthusiasts might prefer Rita over Nemesis? Absolutely.

Let people enjoy things. Rant over.

Last edited:
I think that list is just someone who has a different opinion to many on here; difference of personal opinion is perhaps one of my favourite things about the world!

I think that list is just someone who has a different opinion to many on here; difference of personal opinion is perhaps one of my favourite things about the world!

Oh, definitely. It's just interesting to see how opinions vary. :)