• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What Were Your First Experiences On A Roller-Coaster And What Was It Like?

bex

TS Member
My first experience was on a big old wooden roller-coaster at Gulliver's world which scared me a lot the first time i went on it as i was 3 and it looked like a giant beast but i conquered it and i never looked back.... My parents called me an adrenaline junkie because i went on it 5 times in a row and it took a lot for them to get me off it. Now as time has gone on all these safety regulations meant that they had to make it more stable and safe which for me took all the fun out of it.

What were yours?

Love Bex :p

My first experience was at Porthcawl (Coney Beach) when I was a kid. My gramp used to always take me there and took me on the rollercoaster there at the time. Cant remember if I was afraid or not, I dont think I was as I didnt know what to expect, but I know I enjoyed it because since then I had always been into fun fairs and theme parks!

I think one of my first experiences on a roller coaster was sometime in America. I don't really remember it, since I was about 5 at the time. The first time I can remember properly, is the first time I went to Alton Towers. I was about 7 or 8, and my favourite ride was RMT, though I was scared of the tunnel part.

I was terrified of most tunnels back then, and I remember looking at Oblivion and thinking that I would have nightmares about it, and that how could anyone possibly want to go on that? I look back on that, and laugh. :cool:

I went to Camelot for a friend's birthday, when I was in primary school. I queued for Tower of Terror, but didn't go on it as I was too scared. I never really went anywhere else like that. My parents have never been into this sort of thing, and were more likely to take us on holiday to historically important places.

Fast forward about ten years, I worked at McDonalds part-time alongside doing my A-Levels at Sixth Form. The managers of the branch I worked at, paid for the entire staff team to go to AT as a reward for getting a fantastic result on a routine inspection. So, off I went with my friends. Basically, I was scared, but went on Nemesis, Air, Oblivion and others because I had a crush on one of the guys I was with, so I was trying to impress him :-[ It turned out I loved them! I've been into theme parks and coasters ever since. My only regret from that day is that I didn't get to ride the Black Hole, and it had gone by the next time I visited.

Vampire at Chessington World Of Adventures is probably my first. Had an utter riot of a time and that probably inspired my love for coasters and theme parks. That was in 2003 and since I have done Gulliver's Matlock (2004?), Pleasure Island (2006), Flamingo Land (2006?), Alton Towers (2009), Thorpe Park (2009) and the usual fairs that roll through the area :)

Whilst I don't remember my first non-inverting rollercoaster, seeing as I had been to 4 different parks (Tivoli World, Paultons Park, Drayton Manor and Disneyland Paris) by the time I was 8, I do remember my first inverting rollercoaster.... Which was unfortunately the Corkscrew. It wasn't exactly a fun experience, I'd say it was more rough and uncomfortable to the point where I didn't want to try Nemesis at all afterwards!

:p

For me, I was thrown in at the deep end. First coaster ever... Colossus at Thorpe park! It wasn't rough at all! I was so scared, going up I could see people constructing Saw the Ride... The cluck of the anti rollbacks was quite as I was too busy looking down at the first loop opposite me. Frightened. But after the first drop the adrenaline was flowing and I began to enjoy the feeling of being upside down. I clung on for dear life the whole way round. Considering I was 8 and only just met the height restriction... It was pretty scary!

The Big Apple coaster and Dragon Flyer at Camelot. They terrified me and put me off coasters for life [at that time anyway]. Then a few years later, I eventually stepped up the courage to do The Antelope at Gulliver's World, and after 11 rides in one day, I gradually got to the stage I'm at today.

Don't wish to show off. But it was the big one Blackpool. Second was the grand national. Those two rides still give me that same thrill as they did when i was 10. I remember my first ride on nemmy too. 1995. Staying at the local travelodge. In the paper princess di and harry and wills were pictured riding the front. I was dead excited for the next day when i could experiance that thrill