• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What would you consider a "good" throughput for an attraction?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. In spite of what most would expect, ride popularity is not the sole factor influencing the length of a ride's queue. Throughput, or the amount of people a ride can handle in an hour (well, any given time period, but throughputs are usually measured in people per hour, or pph), has a surprisingly large effect on how long a queue is; if one ride had a 120 minute queue with a throughput of 300pph, while another ride had a 20 minute queue with a throughput of 1,800pph, the two rides would actually have the same number of people in their queues (in theory). The ride with 1,800pph only has a "shorter" queue because it can handle far more guests in a given time period. I know I used two quite extreme examples there, but my point still stands.

Before I ramble for too long, my basic point is; throughput can have a profound effect on queue times. Some attractions are real queue munchers, with huge throughputs, while others have lower throughputs and struggle a bit more. Enthusiasts often seem to mention capacity in ride reviews if it's particularly high or low. So my question to you today is; what would you consider a good throughput for a ride?

Personally, I'm unsure. I'd say it does vary a fair bit depending on the park (a Disney park will need higher throughputs than Paultons Park, for instance), as well as other factors, but taking a park like Alton Towers as an example, I'm still unsure. I always thought that 1,000pph was considered "the magic threshold" for throughput, but I'd personally plump for a little lower than that myself, as surprisingly few rides at Alton actually exceed 1,000pph, and the park seems to cope with queues well.

But what would you personally consider a "good" throughput for an attraction?

A major attraction at a major UK park 1000pph.
A filler ride at a small park 100pph.

Context will be everything.

For standard major park (i.e one that gets 1.5 to 2 million guests a season) needs to have around 1,200 people per hour on their major rides for it to be healthy for me. You can get away with a little bit less though.

For a top tier park like anything at Disney or Universal and maybe other popular independent parks like Europa, you need at least 1,800 to 2,000 for the top attractions

It's depressing how many people think queue length = rides popularity. Even by people that claim to be industry experts.

So many times I've heard people say "Duel is really unpopular because it never has a queue". But Duel does get long queues when they run it as 'Duel: live' for Scarefest and have an actor doing a pre-show. The pre-show cuts capacity and as a result every other car was empty. Suddenly the ride has a queue all the way around the graveyard. Yet the number of people riding didn't significantly change, it just couldn't keep up with demand.

The true measure of a rides popularity is 'the number of people entering the queue' + 'the number of people that would have entered if there wasn't a queue'. The answer to that would be the rides ideal capacity.
The challenge is to calculate that number before a rides even opened. As mentioned above park capacity plays a significant role as it effects both of those numbers.

Last edited: