• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What's your current coaster count?

I've retconned my milestone coasters so many times I've stopped trying to target specific rides as milestones. No doubt at some point further down the line I'll add something to my list or delete a whole bunch of dubious "coasters" and it'll all change again. Then there's the Reverchon spinners - I never made an effort to determine which travelling ones I've done are unique so I only ever counted one standard travelling model plus the compact version, that way I'm fairly sure I haven't counted a ride twice by mistake.

On the other hand, I'm still not 100% sure Creepy Crawler at Oakwood isn't the exact same ride that was once at Camelot - the ride is definitely old enough but RCDB has no history for it prior to opening at M&Ds in the late 90s, which is after the same model left Camelot.

Could be worse, could be Falken
Not gonna lie, I thought Falken was great! Enough roughness to keep it interesting whilst not being too uncomfortable, some great airtime and that final helix is quite intense!

Anyway, after a few trips so far this year I am in theory at 356 coasters. However I have just retconned a couple of dubious creds* which were niggling at me for a while, so after some revision I have settled at 354.

*I used to count both sides of Grand National as 2 different creds, and also Maximus Blitz Bahn as one too because of what Coaster-Count says, but I am now pretty much strictly going off of what RCDB says. SENSE. WILL. PREVAIL!

I'm now at 321, with the additions of some high quality rides from SBF Visa, Top Fun, JJ Rose and B. A. Schiff & Associates. Mmm quality.

I’m on 117 coasters. My 100th was Pipeline at Seaworld Orlando and I was spited by Kumba and Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens. I also didn’t get around to going on Slinky Dog Dash at Hollywood Studios and we didn’t visit Universal at all.

So I should’ve been on 120 coasters at the end of my Orlando trip, but it apparently wasn’t meant to be!

Also - I haven’t been counting more than one big apple coaster (for example). Unless it was a more significant one like permanently at a park for a long period of time. So I have probably done more coasters than I have said, but I really can’t be bothered to include a billion wacky worms and go-gators on my list.

Actually I don’t think I’ve even put ONE go-gator on my list 🤣

I don’t have any written rule as to what I include as a credit - I just include what I feel is worth it 🎢

Hit 515 the other week following visiting a few summer fairs then Oakwood, Coney Beach, and Barry Island. Sadly no current trips planned and I've finally exhausted all the UK parks with a decent number of coasters operating.

As of last Friday, I’m at 111. RTH was my 100th.

I do have some weird stuff, like a Beijing Jiuhua spinning coaster (not as bad as it sounds), and the ex-Loudoun Castle Schwarzkopf looper at its new location (actually very good!)

I think 200 by the end of next year is very achievable.

The count is now at 110 following my visit to Brean Theme Park! By the end of the year, I'm expecting to have 111 if all goes well at Chessington next week and I get Mandrill Mayhem, which would symbolise a +17 on top of my end of 2022 total of 94 and mark my best year ever for new credit gain!

I mainly posted in here, though, because I was interested to know; if people use CoasterCount, what alternative categories do you count as part of your Personal Count? And if you've done a ride that's listed, but you don't personally count it, how do you deal with that?

Personally, I have "Powered" and "Water" enabled as alternative categories, but I have not enabled anything "Undefined". So as such, my different "counts" on the site are as follows:
  • Strict Count (excluding all alternative categories and only considering "real", gravity-fed roller coasters): 101
  • Personal Count (for me, this is including "real" powered and water coasters, but excluding all other alternative categories): 110
  • All (including "Undefined" rides that I've done but don't count): 113
  • With duplicates (including alternative "versions" of the same ride, such as like-for-like retracks and relocations): 114
In terms of the "Undefined" rides I don't count, they are as follows:
  • Thor at Drayton Manor, which is listed as "Undefined - Disk'O Coaster".
  • One side of The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride at Islands of Adventure, which is listed as "Undefined - Slow coaster".
  • Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom, which is listed as "Undefined - Unreal water coaster".
I've done all 3 and have all of them ticked on CoasterCount, but I have asked the site not to include them in my credits sequence and Personal Count.

I won't be getting any new credits for a while, so I will post my current amount. I am currently on 74 credits. This is an increase of 23 since the beginning of the year.

CoasterCount’s really weird and counts a lot of things that RCDB doesn’t. I personally just go off what RCDB says these days, but log everything on my own mega spreadsheet.

Not to mention how unfriendly CC is to use:
“DON’T LOG SOMETHING YOU HAVEN’T RIDDEN OR YOU’LL BE BANNED!”

“ARE YOU SURE YOU RODE THIS? WE MIGHT BAN YOU IF YOU’RE NOT!”

“THAT RIDE ISN’T REAL!!!”

Etc.

Mis-click on CC? Instant execution.

CC is useful though for travelling creds and trying to keep track of them

CoasterCount’s really weird and counts a lot of things that RCDB doesn’t. I personally just go off what RCDB says these days, but log everything on my own mega spreadsheet.

Not to mention how unfriendly CC is to use:
“DON’T LOG SOMETHING YOU HAVEN’T RIDDEN OR YOU’LL BE BANNED!”

“ARE YOU SURE YOU RODE THIS? WE MIGHT BAN YOU IF YOU’RE NOT!”

“THAT RIDE ISN’T REAL!!!”

Etc.
I gather that it’s just trying to accommodate for the broad church of what different people consider credits. You can adjust the settings on there to have it count certain things in your personal count and not others, although for some (such as the second lift hill of Grand National if you only count it as 1 credit like I do), you do just have to not tick it if you don’t want it counted.

I’m similar to you in that I tend to defer to RCDB on these matters, though. I mostly agree with Duane’s judgement; even though CoasterCount technically says that I can count Thor at DMP, the Seuss monorail at IOA and Splash Mountain at MK, and I have ticked to say that I’ve done them, there’s no way in hell that I’d actually count them as part of my personal coaster count. When putting these rides into CC, I made sure that it didn’t put them into my personal count, because I absolutely don’t count them as coasters, even though I have ridden them.

I too noticed the “unfriendliness” of CoasterCount; this did make it a bit daunting when I was trying to log my creds on there retrospectively. I only populated my account a month or two ago, by which point I was already over 100 coasters in, and the mildly threatening messages whenever I tried to log certain coasters, particularly defunct ones, did make me a bit nervous… it did not take kindly to me logging the likes of Dragon Challenge at IOA and Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom, even though I’ve definitely ridden both sides of each!

It’s an interesting tool, but not my primary logging tool by any means. I also use Captain Coaster, where I rate & rank the coasters I’ve ridden as well as log them, and like you, I also have numerous spreadsheets logging my coasters in great detail!

I use Coaster Count, but also have a notebook with everything listed just in case.

With Coaster Count I think the undefined stuff which blurs the lines makes sense, especially as some rides have altered over the years and newer models/concepts have made existing rides count due to similarities.

I'm still not sure why the Water Chutes at Blackpool and Rhyl aren't on RCDB, there as much a coaster as something like Oblivion.

I think I’m on 600, but I’ve got some dubious ones:

- SuperSplash at Plopsaland and Aktium at Cinecitta World. As they’re the same ride as Atlantica SuperSplash which is on RCDB, I see no reason why these are not.

- Fuga de Atlantide at Gardaland. If you’re not convinced, just watch a POV of this ride. The track at the top is clearly Intamin coaster track, yet no RCDB entry.

- Should Steeplechase at BPB be counted as one or three? Its three separate tracks afterall, which have ever so slightly different layouts, give or take a few centimetres of track, so why not count as three?

I’m interested to hear peoples’ thoughts.

I think I’m on 600, but I’ve got some dubious ones:

- SuperSplash at Plopsaland and Aktium at Cinecitta World. As they’re the same ride as Atlantica SuperSplash which is on RCDB, I see no reason why these are not.

- Fuga de Atlantide at Gardaland. If you’re not convinced, just watch a POV of this ride. The track at the top is clearly Intamin coaster track, yet no RCDB entry.

- Should Steeplechase at BPB be counted as one or three? Its three separate tracks afterall, which have ever so slightly different layouts, give or take a few centimetres of track, so why not count as three?

I’m interested to hear peoples’ thoughts.
With regard to the first two, RCDB’s justification behind not counting these as coasters is that they do not coast in areas that aren’t part of a major drop sequence, whereas rides like Atlantica do. Atlantica has the backwards drop between the turntables, whereas SuperSplash, Aktium and Fuga de Atlantide do not have any coasting sections that aren’t part of a major drop sequence.

Personally, I broadly agree with RCDB on these types of matters, although I’m admittedly unsure on some of these cases. My thinking is; if you count anything with roller coaster track, then quite a few rides that are commonly considered log flumes and have had few ever try to argue that they are roller coasters become roller coasters. For instance, Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls at Islands of Adventure has Mack water coaster track in sections, but few have ever tried to argue that it’s anything other than a log flume. So in my opinion, you do have to draw the line somewhere seeing as more and more log flumes are starting to have “coasting” elements on their drops.

With that being said, I can definitely see your reasoning behind saying that they are coasters, and you are well within your right to count them as such regardless of what I or anyone else says; your coaster count is entirely your own, after all!

With regard to Steeplechase, I entirely agree with you, and would count those 3 sides as 3 credits. It’s irrelevant currently as I’ve only ridden one side, but if I ever get on either of the other two, then they will be separate credits for me.

With that being said, my reasoning for that is possibly slightly different to yours. My logic with these duelling coasters is that the sides are only separate credits if they can operate separately and distinctly from one another. For instance, if you put a chainsaw between the sides of Steeplechase, you could operate them as entirely separate coasters. As such, Steeplechase represents 3 credits, in my view.

However, you could not do the same with Grand National across the park, as that ride is a möbius loop and not two truly separate sides. As such, I only count Grand National as 1 credit. If Grand National’s sides were separate, then I would unquestionably be classing it as 2 credits, but that möbius loop aspect does mean that Grand National is only 1 credit for me.

I had the same debate with myself about Atlantis at Dalmaland which already has what I believe to be Intamin coaster track, and also doesn’t have an RCDB entry. I decided to count it in the end for similar reasons.

SuperSplash at Plopsa I also count too.