• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

When is a cred not a cred?

MattyH

TS Member
Favourite Ride
GIIBBB
Watched this video from Coaster Crazy earlier.

After watching Coaster Crazy sacrificing his body in order to find out if this obviously not a cred bit of playground equipment counts as a cred and then reading through the trip report from Burbs DLP trip I had a thought.

What counts as a cred?

Do butterfly's count?

Do ghost trains count?

What about Disko coasters?

I'd have to ride a butterfly to decide if it counts but I'm doubtful. But if butterflies don't count what about RC Racer at WDS?

I always count powered coasters, I'd say they definitely should count.

But random bits of play equipment do not count just because they're on a metal rail.

Ah, the good old conundrum of “is it a cred?”…

Each to their own, but I personally would not consider that piece of play equipment a cred.

The question I’d ask myself is “does it vaguely feel like a roller coaster?”, and I’d wager that the answer to that is probably no if most play equipment of that ilk I tried as a child was anything to go by.

It is a difficult one; I count powered coasters, but I would not count ghost trains or Disk’Os.

Thankfully, I don’t currently have the honour of having ridden anything that’s a particularly dubious credit… the closest rides I’ve done are probably things with very short coaster sections, such as Atlantica at Europa Park, Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld Orlando and Gringotts at Universal, and I counted all 3 as coaster credits. However, all of those are on RCDB, and all of those are widely accepted as creds even if their coaster sections are very short, so they don’t really fit the bill.

One interesting conundrum I do have, however, is one that many on here will also have when Nemesis reopens in 2024… is the fully retracked version of an existing ride a different cred to the original version?

I have ridden both the original Incredible Hulk Coaster, which I rode in 2014, and the retracked Incredible Hulk Coaster, which I rode around 3 weeks after it reopened in 2016. I do not personally consider the retracked version a separate credit to the original version; in my eyes, nothing has materially changed about the track and train ride experience other than the fact that the track has been replaced.

Therefore, the new Hulk was not a +1 for me when I rode it in 2016; instead, my first ride on the new Hulk is listed as a reride on the coaster I first rode in 2014. Nemesis will be treated in the same manner when it reopens; the 2024 variant will not be a different credit to the original version, in my eyes. I can see the argument for retracks being a new +1, but I do not personally consider them a new +1 myself. What do you guys think?

I would not consider the ride shown in the video as a cred.
I do not count retracks as a new cred.
I count racing coasters as more than one cred. For example, Grand National would count as 2 creds.

Seeing as it's not a serious thing you can count whatever you want.

I mean I'd not count that piece of playground equipment, but then I count mountain coasters and ridge racer is in reality just a very small version of one.

Arthur is mentioned above which is a powered dark ride with coaster elements and that is included on rcdb and coaster-Count. However the very similar Droomvlucht at Efteling which is a powered dark ride with a coaster section at the end isn't seemingly included on any of these sites.

I wonder If that comes down to marketing. Arthur sells itself on being a Suspended Powered Coaster. The coaster section is the first thing you see when approaching the ride.
Droomvlucht doesn't sell the experience on it.

of course this is all subjective. Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City does the same but it has made the RCDB.

Ghost Train Blackpool, rolls, coasts, one clear chain lift hill, one clear drop...not a coaster.
Mine trains...don't roll, don't coast, no lift hill, no clear drop... a coaster.
I crap on your pigeonholing...
It defies logic.

I would not consider the ride shown in the video as a cred.
I do not count retracks as a new cred.
I count racing coasters as more than one cred. For example, Grand National would count as 2 creds.
The Grand National has one, single track...so one side makes half a cred, having both sides ridden makes the complete cred.
As against the Steeplechase at the same park, which is three creds allegedly.
I'm glad I don't count!
Edit...Tried to put these two posts together...not clever enough to put a quote in the middle.

Grand National and Racer at Kennywood being Mobius coasters do sit in a weird definition as technically all one track.

Steeplechase is 3 separate coasters though.

I don't count Butterflies or Alpine 'Coasters'. Just something about them doesn't sit right for whatever reason.

Anyone who counts Diskos should be sectioned.

I only count Grand National as 1 credit myself. My logic is that the two sides can’t operate separately and couldn’t be split from each other, so Grand National is only one credit, in my view.

However, I don’t subscribe to the “half a credit for one side, half a credit for the other” view, either. I just counted it as 1 credit from the day I first rode it and then just didn’t add a second credit when I rode the other side in 2019.

Steeplechase would certainly be 3 credits, though (by my reckoning, anyway). I’ve only done the far right track, but if I eventually get around to doing the centre and far left tracks, both will be added to my count as individual +1s.

On a similar note, the two sides of Dragon Challenge and the two sides of Primeval Whirl were also counted by myself as a +2 rather than a +1. They’re completely separate tracks from one another, so they’re certainly separate credits, in my view, and in the case of Dragon Challenge, the two sides differed quite a bit!

Last edited:
I only count Grand National as 1 credit myself. My logic is that the two sides can’t operate separately and couldn’t be split from each other, so Grand National is only one credit, in my view.

However, I don’t subscribe to the “half a credit for one side, half a credit for the other” view, either. I just counted it as 1 credit from the day I first rode it and then just didn’t add a second credit when I rode the other side in 2019.

Technically you can't ride the entire cred on National anyway due to separate offload areas.

Unless you're disabled. A RAP benefit for the ages.

I’m probably the odd one out here but I just count the likes of Grand National and Steeplechase as one cred, just giving two or three differing experiences respectively. I appreciate though that’s not how most view them. However I would definitely count a ride like Battlestar Galactica at Universal Studios Singapore as two creds because each part of it a different type of coaster in that one is a sit down and one is inverted.

I’ve always found the argument for counting Disk O’s a problematic one. If you count one of those and say that it’s a tracked ride powered by gravity then by that logic could you claim that some drop towers are also a cred?

1c9a6cc2ae8e04fddc40729c009c152c.jpg

For example Hollywood Action Tower at Movieland Park in Italy. But I suppose the counter-argument would be that it doesn’t travel uphill by it’s own momentum at any point.

Last edited: