• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which 2024 UK coaster project are you most looking forward to?

Which 2024 UK coaster project are you most looking forward to?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. 2024 is set to be a pretty big year for UK roller coasters, with four different roller coaster-related projects happening for next year. These are:
  • Hyperia at Thorpe Park, a Mack HyperCoaster that will be the UK’s tallest and fastest roller coaster.
  • Nemesis 2.0 at Alton Towers, the rebirth of the much-loved B&M Inverted Coaster that is widely accepted to be the most revered UK coaster.
  • Drayton Manor’s new coaster, an Intamin lift and launch coaster with spinning trains.
  • Legoland Windsor’s new coaster, a duo of Zierer family shuttle coasters.
It’s certainly a big year for UK roller coasters when you look at this motley crew of upcoming rides! But I’d be really interested to know; which of these 2024 coaster projects are you most excited for?

Personally, I’d have to pick Hyperia at Thorpe Park. It’s so exciting that the UK height record is finally being broken after 30 long years, and even besides that, I think the layout of Hyperia looks phenomenal, with some really unique and impactful elements. I can’t wait to see how that first drop and outerbank into an inversion ride in particular, and the other elements like the Immelmann, the stall/dive loop, and the outerbank should provide a real breath of fresh air to the UK coaster scene and provide sensations that have never really been felt on a UK coaster before! I have a huge amount of faith that it will be a big hit, and while it would be overly presumptuous to count your chickens before they hatch, I think that there’s a fair chance that we could be looking at the ride that will finally unseat Nemesis from the position of “most revered in the UK”!

I am excited for Nemesis’ rebirth, but it is a coaster that I’ve already been riding for 10 years rather than anything new, so it does lack some of the anticipation of a new coaster project for me.

I’m also excited to see what Drayton Manor’s coaster turns out like. It sounds like it could be a really intriguing ride, and I’m so glad to see them back on the coaster building map after so long!

Legoland Windsor’s investment looks great for that park, and I’m sure the two coasters will ride really well and go down well with the target demographic, but I’m not as personally excited for them by virtue of them not really being aimed at my demographic.

But I’d be keen to know; which of the UK’s 2024 coaster projects are you most looking forward to?

Last edited:
Hyperia for sure as it’s such a novelty to have a hyper coaster being built in this country. Even though it might be a little on the short side it’s going to be one hell of a ride.

Hyperia as it's brand new, but we are eating good next year. Really looking forward to seeing everything!

Also, I’d argue that them breaking BPB’s claimed height record by only 1ft isn’t really a problem, or at least, is less of a problem than it may once have been. I predict that Thorpe Park will hold the UK height record for a number of years despite how little they are exceeding The Big One’s height claim by.

My reason for this? I predict this because if you think about it, which UK parks would realistically steal the height record from Thorpe Park? With Alton Towers, Chessington and a number of others ruled out immediately on the grounds of planning restrictions, target demographic or both, your options are surprisingly limited. The options are essentially Thorpe stealing it from themselves (which I don’t see happening in any vaguely immediate timeframe), Blackpool Pleasure Beach reclaiming it (with how things supposedly are at Blackpool at the moment, I’m not sure I see them being in a position to retake the UK height record any time soon, and I’m not entirely convinced that they’d have the space for it either), one of the smaller parks coming completely out of left field and taking it (by no means impossible, but probably pretty unlikely seeing as many of them are either growing to be more family-focused, seemingly lacking the funds needed to build anything even close to that scale or both), or a new mega park opening and taking it (again, not impossible, particularly if the London Resort defies the odds and eventually opens, but extremely unlikely, and certainly wouldn’t happen any time in the vaguely immediate future).

I reckon that once Hyperia opens, the UK height record will stick around in Surrey for a good number of years despite how little Thorpe Park are exceeding Blackpool’s claimed Big One height by. As Thorpe Park are breaking the record and can legitimately claim to have the record, I think that’s the main important thing, no matter how little they may have exceeded Blackpool’s height claim by.

Couldn't Blackpool simply just lie about the height of Big One again and take the record back?
Although the record BR:TR will hold of longest UK brake run is unlikely to be broken any time soon as no one else is stupid enough to build a whacking great tall hyper coaster lift hill, only to slam it into some brakes a few seconds later.

But anyway, it has to be Nemisis. Alton has fallen so far from grace, that my only visit this year felt flat without it open. Sure, Brake Run: The Ride looks great for what there is of it, but it's another thrill coaster in a thrill coaster centred park. Alton however just can't cut it without its star attraction. Something very big is missing and it desperately needs putting back.

I like the fact Drayton Manor have got on with their coaster without a song and dance. It’s also could have a 2nd flat ride installed in this new themed area to go a side the drunken barrels, Sheriff showdown and maybe the haunting.
Hands down Nemesis would have won it for me but it’s the same layout with a difference theme. Shockwave is kinda got the same treatment for next season and they may not be getting new track but will look newer with a new brighter theme, new train/trains and a new name to match Adventure cove.

It’s a tough choice for me. I’ve really missed Nemesis this year and the work they’ve done on it so far looks great so I am genuinely excited about that opening again.

Hyperia is also very exciting, although I am slightly disappointed with the length of it, it will still be a unique ride experience I’m sure.

The new coaster at Drayton Manor, although not expected to be super thrilling by any stretch, I hope will be an excellent addition to a park that has gone far too long without a new coaster. It also looks to be a very unique addition to the UK coaster line up and will hopefully include some good theming and bring that area of the park together as a complete theme.

The only one I’m not particularly excited for are the Legoland duelling coasters. Not that I don’t think they won’t be a good addition to the park, just that there doesn’t seem to be anything particularly unique or exciting about the project. I’ll still be taking my kids down there to ride when they’re open though as they will definitely enjoy them.

Hyperia - it'll be something completely new for the UK, a Mack hyper Coaster.

Excited for Nemesis 2.0 but at the end of the day I've been on the things 100s of times. It'll certainly improve visits to Alton Towers next year.

Finally the Drayton Coaster, possibly at the moment because it's still quite an unknown project plus as it'll be more of a family coaster I'm sure it'll be fun but I'm more about the more thrilling coasters.

Hyperia 100% for me, Thorpe needs a new coaster so bad and although they could have broken the height record than a bit more than 23 feet that's certainly not where the ride will be lacking.
People overseas are so excited for this where they're used to long drawn out hyper coasters with lots of floater airtime whereas we've always wanted one so we don't have to fly out to portaventura but these elements are gonna kick ass and the layout is strong besides lacking in duration.

I feel this ride will go down well and fingers crossed we'll see Thorpe get another big coaster investment in a lot sooner than 12 years from now.

That said I cannot wait to see how Nemesis was riding in 1994 considering I didn't ride it until 2013 when I was 13, I'll get to appreciate how ahead of it's time nemesis was and a reminder of why this coaster will have such a big legacy even after it gets removed in potentially 30 years time from now.

I've gone undecided but if I absolutely had to pick, it'd be Hyperia due it being Thorpes first new coaster in forever, a hyper & fairly unusual in layout. Looking forward to something fresh at Thorpe park!

Nemesis is one of my all-time favourites & have to say I've really missed it this year. Also genuinely intrigued by Draytons new coaster, it has potential to be a brilliant family thrill which suits us well! We're off to Futuroscope in 2 weeks so will get my flame retardant suit on and give Objectif Mars a ride in anticipation 😂

Hyperia for me. It's something a bit different to what we are used to getting in the UK, and despite the short layout I think what is going to be there will be fantastic. The hype is definitely real!

Nemesis is no doubt going to be great, and I can't wait to see the finished product. But as a coaster I know how it rides, and there is definitely some slight concern that it won't be quite as good as the original.

Nemmy 2.0 for me. This was the ride that started it all off for me and I was lucky enough to ride it in it's opening year and almost every year since. Think I have probably missed 2/3 seasons since 1994 at the most.

Hyperia has already left me underwhelmed before it's even gone vertical. It's great we are getting another Hyper and by UK standards it will be impressive I'm sure but it won't even be a top one compared to industry standards which is a real shame for me. This was an opportunity for a statement coaster to put the UK back on the Theme Park map and I doubt this will achieve it.