• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which of these UK solo trips sounds best?

Which of these UK solo trips sounds best?

• Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Yesterday, I asked about Fantasy Island in Skegness, Lincolnshire and whether it would be worth me doing a trip to. Responses to that question were quite mixed, with some giving very positive views and encouraging me to go for it and others advising me that it wouldn't be the best choice. With this mixed reception in mind, I've decided to widen my search for a new UK park (or parks) to visit this summer slightly. I'm definitely not ruling out Fantasy Island based on the advice given, but I thought that I should consider my other options as well. With this in mind, I decided to pass my other options by you all and see what your thoughts are.

I should note that as well as my local train station, Lydney, Bristol Parkway is also a station option. My dad has said that he'd happily drop me off at Parkway on his way to work if it would make any of my solo trips easier.

This may look like an odd medley of choices, but these are all of the UK parks that I haven't been to that I would consider to be semi-major, in terms of having at least one noteworthy draw. They are:
Fantasy Island
  • Ideal Train Station: Skegness
  • Train Journey Time: ~5.5 hours and 1 change (Nottingham) from Lydney, ~5 hours and 2 changes (Birmingham New Street, Nottingham) from Bristol Parkway
  • Train Return Cost with 16-25 Railcard: ~£75 from Lydney, ~£103 from Bristol Parkway
  • Noteworthy Draw(s): Odyssey and Millennium
  • Key Pros: Has more noteworthy draws than any other individual parks, Odyssey and Millennium are likely the two most significant UK coasters I haven't ridden, some of the dark rides sound interesting
  • Key Cons: Train journey is very long at 5-5.5 hours, rest of park aside from Odyssey and Millennium garners very polarised reception, operation of Odyssey is very weather-dependent, possibly not the most convenient in terms of public transport
Adventure Island
  • Ideal Train Station: Southend Victoria
  • Train Journey Time: ~3h 50m and 3 changes (Gloucester, London Paddington, Stratford) from Lydney, ~2h 50m and 2 changes (London Paddington, Stratford) from Bristol Parkway
  • Train Return Cost with 16-25 Railcard: ~£40 from Lydney, ~£63 from Bristol Parkway
  • Noteworthy Draw(s): Rage
  • Key Pros: Potentially doable in a day trip from Bristol Parkway, some unique-sounding flats that might be worth a try, very good public transport links with only a 15 minute walk between station and park, up to four potential creds as the Zierer Tivolis and Pinfari don't look too "kiddie" for me to ride
  • Key Cons: Only one noteworthy draw, Rage is a cloned ride rather than a custom coaster (albeit a cloned layout I haven't yet ridden, and not a ridiculously common one)
Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach/Pleasurewood Hills
Due to how close these two are to each other and how far they are from me, I feel like I'd best visiting both of them in one trip.
  • Ideal Train Station: Great Yarmouth
  • Train Journey Time: ~5h 50m and 4 changes (Newport, London Paddington, London Liverpool Street, Norwich) from Lydney, ~4h 50m and 3 changes (London Paddington, London Liverpool Street, Norwich) from Bristol Parkway
  • Train Return Cost with 16-25 Railcard: ~£69 from Lydney, ~£62 from Bristol Parkway
  • Noteworthy Draw(s): Roller Coaster at GYPB, Wipeout and Cannonball Express at PWH
  • Key Pros: Some very unique draws, with Roller Coaster being a brakeman coaster and Cannonball Express being a rare Schwarzkopf, multiple noteworthy parks close together
  • Key Cons: Wipeout is a very commonplace cloned layout that I can ride at numerous other more appealing parks in the future, rather long train journey at 4h 50m minimum, unsure of what non-coaster draws exist at these parks
Dreamland Margate
  • Ideal Train Station: Margate
  • Train Journey Time: ~5h and 3 changes (Newport, London Paddington, London St Pancras) from Lydney, ~4h and 2 changes (London Paddington, London St Pancras) from Bristol Parkway
  • Train Return Cost with 16-25 Railcard: ~£58 from Lydney, ~£51 from Bristol Parkway
  • Noteworthy Draw(s): Scenic Railway
  • Key Pros: Scenic Railway, being a unique brakeman coaster and the UK's oldest coaster, is a very unique draw, very good public transport links with only a 7 minute walk between station and park
  • Key Cons: Park appears to lack draws aside from the Scenic, possibly making it a rather long journey for 1 coaster
My view is that Fantasy Island is probably the most noteworthy of those in terms of its draws.

However, I am drawn to the day trip potential, shorter journey time and favourable public transport links of Adventure Island, Rage looks fun, and there is some other interesting-looking stuff there...

And while the parks in Norfolk/Suffolk are a long way away, it would be a convenient trip in terms of being able to knock off two semi-major parks that are very close to one another...

And while Margate appears to lack draws aside from the Scenic, I was spited by the park when I was in the area in 2019, so it would be nice to finally ride the Scenic and get some redemption...

So, which of these solo trips do you think sounds best? Do you reckon I should go for Fantasy Island, Adventure Island, Great Yarmouth/Pleasurewood or Dreamland Margate? Or do you reckon I'd be better off just going to a UK park I've already visited? As an example, I haven't been to Blackpool in 5 years and have said for the last couple of years that I should try a solo train trip there.

I go to Adventure Island all the time as it's my closest park (was there on Saturday in fact).

Not sure when you're thinking of going but might be worth holding off till the new drop tower opens.

Also worth pointing out many of these parks have limited opening days and times off peak. I expect most of them will only be open at weekends other than bank holiday until the June half term break.

They all sound like a lot of hard work with all those train changes.

Also if you were to do Great Yarmouth you need to visit Joyland for The Snails, Tyrolean Tub Twist, and Ghost Express! There's also a coaster on the Pier next to it now as well.

I go to Adventure Island all the time as it's my closest park (was there on Saturday in fact).

Not sure when you're thinking of going but might be worth holding off till the new drop tower opens.

Also worth pointing out many of these parks have limited opening days and times off peak. I expect most of them will only be open at weekends other than bank holiday until the June half term break.
I was thinking perhaps early to mid June, although I am willing to be flexible and go later if needed. I don't know if the new drop tower would be open by then.

Thanks for pointing that out. It would seem that Dreamland Margate has no listed opening times beyond May, Great Yarmouth, Pleasurewood and Adventure Island all operate on weekends only until the summer holidays and Fantasy Island only operate rides in rotation midweek until the summer holidays.

Last edited:
I was thinking perhaps early to mid June, although I am willing to be flexible and go later if needed. I don't know if the new drop tower would be open by then.

Thanks for pointing that out. It would seem that Dreamland Margate has no listed opening times beyond May, Great Yarmouth, Pleasurewood and Adventure Island all operate on weekends only until the summer holidays and Fantasy Island only operate rides in rotation midweek until the summer holidays.

They haven't given an opening date but there was no sign of it at the weekend. Equally it's testing at another location and by its very nature i imagine it can be installed in a matter of days.

Would echo the sentiments of others, for the amount of travelling they involve you could get to a much better European park in the same time or less, on a much nicer train to boot.

As much as I love my local little Adventure Island, I don't think I'd encourage anyone to do a 6 - 8 hour £50 trip to get there.

Your best bet is to tack some of these places onto visits to the wider area. Maybe Southend is more worth a half hour train out of London when you are already in London. I'm sure the same can be said for a few on your list.

Although the worst journey, Great Yarmouth has Pleasure Beach, Joyland and Pleasurewood Hills on a short bus ride. Might be the most bang for your buck.

Trains and theme parks rarely link nicely, apart from Blackpool.

Not if you live in South Yorkshire. No way to get there in time or leave late enough.

@Matt N - I suggest you save your money and get some driving lessons , if you don't already drive.

As for the parks, the only one I have done this century is Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach (and Joyland), which I visited this Easter. I love GYPB and its a park I ty and visit every two or three years.

Rather than doing a trip just to Adventure Island alone why not book a night in a cheap Premier Inn or Travelodge room and combine it with a trip to CWOA? Both parks are very easy to get to from the centre of London, make it a trip of a couple of days rather than trying to do Adventure Island as a day trip.

Rather than doing a trip just to Adventure Island alone why not book a night in a cheap Premier Inn or Travelodge room and combine it with a trip to CWOA? Both parks are very easy to get to from the centre of London, make it a trip of a couple of days rather than trying to do Adventure Island as a day trip.
I have to admit that this idea rather appeals to me... although personally, I would replace CWOA with Thorpe Park because:
  • As with CWOA, Thorpe (well, Staines railway station) can also be reached directly from London Waterloo.
  • If I go in early to mid June, Hyperia will have just opened, and I wouldn't mind getting a first ride in on that soon after its opening!
  • Unlike CWOA, Thorpe would kind of put me "on my way home", as from Staines, I can get a direct train to Reading for an onward connection back to the South West without heading back into London. Whereas if I went to CWOA, I would need to head back into London and back out again to get home to the South West.
That idea does rather appeal to me, actually... I could do Adventure Island on an early June Sunday, stay in a Premier Inn in Central London on the Sunday night, and head out to Thorpe on the Monday on my way home! I'll have to speak to my mum and dad and ask if one of them would mind dropping me at Bristol Parkway on an early June Sunday...

As for the comments about driving; if it was as easy as simply taking lessons and getting a license, I'd have done it a long time ago! I'm already almost 2 years and multiple failed driving tests into automatic driving tuition, so driving has done far more than simply crossed my mind... although I must say that my current experiences on the road make me slightly wary of doing long-distance driving even once I've passed.

That idea does rather appeal to me, actually... I could do Adventure Island on an early June Sunday, stay in a Premier Inn in Central London on the Sunday night, and head out to Thorpe on the Monday on my way home! I'll have to speak to my mum and dad and ask if one of them would mind dropping me at Bristol Parkway on an early June Sunday....

I’d perhaps recommend staying in the Premier Inn in Staines the night before your Thorpe Park visit rather than a Central London one. It’s really nicely located, there are plenty of places to get food in the evening or stock up for your park visit, and its just a few minutes walk away from the bus station to get the bus to the park in the morning. I’ve booked rooms there for about £45 before.

I’d perhaps recommend staying in the Premier Inn in Staines the night before your Thorpe Park visit rather than a Central London one. It’s really nicely located, there are plenty of places to get food in the evening or stock up for your park visit, and its just a few minutes walk away from the bus station to get the bus to the park in the morning. I’ve booked rooms there for about £45 before.
I mainly thought Central London because I thought that it would be a logical halfway point between Adventure Island and Thorpe, and would make both commutes between park and hotel less lengthy. Staying in Staines would result in a good 2h commute from Southend after a day at Adventure Island.

It is good to know about the Premier Inn in Staines, though, as if it's significantly cheaper than one in Central London, it might be worth considering... thanks for the suggestion!
EDIT: I just checked. Staines Premier Inn is about a third of the price of one in Central London. While Southend-Staines is allegedly a 2.5 hour train journey, a cost saving that significant means I should definitely consider it... thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
I've stayed at the Premier Inn in Staines a few times when I made visits to Thorpe Park of consecutive days. It is very conveniently located in the Town Centre and is a decent chain hotel.

I would certainly recommend if you're going to Thorpe Park for more than one day as an alternative to the Shark.

With Adventure Island, I'd recommend doing a separate trip as it's the opposite direction going via London. It's better to do Legoland or Chessington in combination with Thorpe Park as they're much closer.

I spoke to my parents about my idea… and I may have to reconsider. They seemed to think it sounded very complicated, but the main problem is that they also seemed highly averse to the idea of me going to Southend on my own. The thought of me going to Southend on my own had my mum looking visibly panicked…

They seemed open to the idea of me going to Thorpe Park to do Hyperia in early June, but they seemed keener for me to just do it in a day trip, or to possibly just stay in a hotel and come back home the next day.

If I’m being honest, my parents don’t seem entirely on board with the idea of me staying away on my own at all. They don’t seem entirely averse to the idea of me doing a solo hotel stay either, and were receptive to my sentiments of wanting to try and expand my travel horizons a tad, but I can definitely sense that they have underlying anxiety about letting me stay away on my own. At very least, the idea of me going to Southend on my own seemed to fill them with dread, although that may be more down to the distance, complexity and the fact it’s Southend than the notion of me staying in a hotel alone.

One thought I did have of how I could do a similar overnight trip that my parents didn’t seem entirely averse to when I discussed it was doing Thorpe and tying it in with Legoland. Legoland Windsor also has a new +2 in the form of Minifigure Speedway, and it’s very close to Thorpe Park with good potential transport links from Staines. However, my main concern there is; would I get lots of weird looks and judgement if I attempted to enter Legoland Windsor and ride some of the rides as a solo adult male? Would I even be allowed to enter Legoland Windsor and ride some of the rides as a solo adult male? I’ve done Chessington alone before, which I guess isn’t an awful lot less child-orientated than Legoland, but I’ll admit that I do have some reservations about doing a child-orientated park like Legoland alone, mainly from the standpoint of being judged or accused of being a paedophile or something…

My parents did seem a bit unsure overall, though, and suggested we should discuss it “another day”…

I spoke to my parents about my idea… and I may have to reconsider. They seemed to think it sounded very complicated, but the main problem is that they also seemed highly averse to the idea of me going to Southend on my own. The thought of me going to Southend on my own had my mum looking visibly panicked…

They seemed open to the idea of me going to Thorpe Park to do Hyperia in early June, but they seemed keener for me to just do it in a day trip, or to possibly just stay in a hotel and come back home the next day.

If I’m being honest, my parents don’t seem entirely on board with the idea of me staying away on my own at all. They don’t seem entirely averse to the idea of me doing a solo hotel stay either, and were receptive to my sentiments of wanting to try and expand my travel horizons a tad, but I can definitely sense that they have underlying anxiety about letting me stay away on my own. At very least, the idea of me going to Southend on my own seemed to fill them with dread, although that may be more down to the distance, complexity and the fact it’s Southend than the notion of me staying in a hotel alone.

One thought I did have of how I could do a similar overnight trip that my parents didn’t seem entirely averse to when I discussed it was doing Thorpe and tying it in with Legoland. Legoland Windsor also has a new +2 in the form of Minifigure Speedway, and it’s very close to Thorpe Park with good potential transport links from Staines. However, my main concern there is; would I get lots of weird looks and judgement if I attempted to enter Legoland Windsor and ride some of the rides as a solo adult male? Would I even be allowed to enter Legoland Windsor and ride some of the rides as a solo adult male? I’ve done Chessington alone before, which I guess isn’t an awful lot less child-orientated than Legoland, but I’ll admit that I do have some reservations about doing a child-orientated park like Legoland alone, mainly from the standpoint of being judged or accused of being a paedophile or something…

My parents did seem a bit unsure overall, though, and suggested we should discuss it “another day”…

You will definitely be allowed to enter Legoland by yourself. It's a theme park! You'd get no more funny looks than anywhere else. People are far too busy doing their own thing to take notice of how many people are in a group.

The log flume is the only ride that technically doesn't allow solo passengers.

As for Southend, it can be a little rough at night if you're going out drinking but if you're going in the day purely to visit AI you'll be absolutely fine.