• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which ride will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

Which ride at Alton will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

• Spinball

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Rita

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twirling Toadstool

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Congo River Rapids

• Galactica

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Nemesis

• Duel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • The Blade

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Enterprise

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Runaway Mine Train

• Oblivion

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Thirteen

• Other (please state)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I'll admit I'm hardly ever in that area but it looks so old and tired. Would be nice to see something done with it. Ice age has been looking really tatty for years and it's not worth queuing for..

Totally agree... I don't think the kids really go for these sort of 4D cinema things anyway. They are quite loud and the young kids don't like it. Amount of people you see leaving midway through with young kids is quite telling sometimes.

I was thinking a rethemed (less garish) driving school with olde cars in the corner of Fountain Square, in the giant open area near the way through to the current driving school.

I am not sure what roller coaster will be next to leave but i have a feeling it might be spinball whizzer

Because of the smiler crash alton towers has closed charlie and the chocolate factory, hex driving school, the flume, nemesis sub terra and ripsaw

Driving school and hex might be reopening

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of the smiler crash alton towers has closed charlie and the chocolate factory, hex driving school, the flume, nemesis sub terra and ripsaw
I doubt that smiler was the main reason for these closures (though it may have prompted budget cuts which led to the closure of sub terra and driving school). Hex needed tlc, and with luck it will open this year. Flume and ripsaw were knackered, and the way ripsaw started last season, I'm sure many of us knew it's days were numbered. The ip (I'm guessing) ran out on catcf, and I'm sure towers couldn't wait to tear it out.

This annoys me no end. They should keep some of these old rides. They are part of the parks heritage. The parks history. Blackpool pleasure beach has kept some of its old signature attractions going for decades. The Grand National coaster was built in 1935 and is still running. AT should have kept the corkscrew.

This annoys me no end. They should keep some of these old rides. They are part of the parks heritage. The parks history. Blackpool pleasure beach has kept some of its old signature attractions going for decades. The Grand National coaster was built in 1935 and is still running. AT should have kept the corkscrew.

Merlin care not for history or heritage unless the conservationists are on their back or they see the potential to make a buck or two.

The Corkscrew memorial was a lucky one off but it's not like it wouldn't have gone on the scrap heap otherwise.

Wood is notoriously easy to replace and is much more cost effective. The Corkscrew was over 30 years old and was being over shadowed by newer and more exciting coasters. It hardly drew a queue even on busy days. It had a good run but I prefer it's replacement.

Blackpool may have kept some of their classic rides but lets not forget how many rides they have removed over the years. There are over 20 rides and attractions which have been removed or left sbno which were younger than the Corkscrew. The Corkscrew also occupied a small footprint compared to something more noticable like The Grand National. If PBB were to remove The Nash they would most certainly have to replace it.

With all the reliability issues it's had, could we see Rita go within the not too distant future?

With all the reliability issues it's had, could we see Rita go within the not too distant future?
Wouldn't say it's got as long left as most of the other coasters (I expect VR on air to disappear first if that counts, maybe spinball next, then possibly the smiler if it starts having issues, though hopefully it has much longer). Won't be sad to see it go eventually. Just tear out dark Forrest while they're at it tbh.

Blackpool pleasure beach has kept some of its old signature attractions going for decades. The Grand National coaster was built in 1935 and is still running.

That"s like the old joke about having had a broom for years, with onlly 3 new heads and 4 new handles. I wonder what %age of the ride is original material from 1935?
PS: +80 years old or not; it is still great fun

SW9 location??

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Personally, I reckon the next to coasters to go are Spinball and Rita. Spinball Whizzer has been set for removal on the LTDP; although this means little in terms of confirmation, I think SW8 will serve as a replacement to some extent. SW8 fills that age gap nicely, so that's why I think this.

If Rita is to be removed, it will be relocated/sold to another park. It's unlikely, in my opinion, for them to squeeze the rest of it's lifespan out of the ride. This would leave potential for SW9, I agree. Rita doesn't fit into the whole concept of Dark Forest very well, so if they were to replace it with a less 'in your face' ride then the whole atmosphere would be much nicer, imo.

I think they will either move or get rid of Spinball and maybe do something with SW9 there? Or potentially expand Cbeebies land into that space

I vaguely remember AT buying up more land? (Could be wrong) They could move it there and start a new area or maybe itll be moved to a re-themed CCL?

With no replies to this thread for a few months. Which rides do u now think are favourite to leave? I still think spinball whizzer