• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which ride will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

Which ride at Alton will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

• Spinball

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Rita

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twirling Toadstool

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Congo River Rapids

• Galactica

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Nemesis

• Duel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • The Blade

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Enterprise

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Runaway Mine Train

• Oblivion

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Thirteen

• Other (please state)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Cloud Cuckoo Land needs a major overhaul and repositioning in terms of its target audience. With Charlie, Driving School and Wobble World gone (assuming) and Ice Age inevitably on borrowed time the whole area needs rethinking. In the last few years its become just an amalgamated area of kids IP's with no overall coherence, much like the mess that Cred Street was before it.

There's barely anything left from the 2009 re-theme now apart from the Toadstool, area sign and a bit of façade paintwork so it's ripe to become the next area of the park to be redeveloped with a major dark ride at its centre, especially as CBeebies is basically the same theme for the same target audience but in a different part of the park.

Tearing out that cheap and nasty Driving School then restoring the street down the middle of the area would be a start in rebuilding an area that was once a hive of activity with a lot of atmosphere. In all honesty really I think it's time they demolished the facades that have stood along the street for 30 odd years and started again from scratch.

It would be great to see that area finally get a coherent theme again that it's lacked since the early 90's.

Last edited:
I'll admit I'm hardly ever in that area but it looks so old and tired. Would be nice to see something done with it. Ice age has been looking really tatty for years and it's not worth queuing for..

I'll admit I'm hardly ever in that area but it looks so old and tired. Would be nice to see something done with it. Ice age has been looking really tatty for years and it's not worth queuing for..

They need to make the area a hub of activity again by getting people to flow through the area from the entrance in Fountain Square - presently a messy dead end on the other side with Driving School in the way. I miss those old Vintage Cars, at least they were sympathetic with The Towers.

....and bring back the street entertainers/musicians!

Alton Towers Almanac, jeez, blast from the past.

Messaged them on fb the other day....respond instantly. Apparently they still plan to bring the site to life one day. Would love to know who is 'running' it now. Was so good back in the day

Am I the only person who would love to see this happen :D?

No you aren't, I think it could be a decent idea actually! Unfortunately, it won't happen and will get some retheme to one Dreamworks' crap films.

Last edited:
Can sadly see them returning it to likes of Kung Fu panda or how to train your dragon I'm afraid.

Original idea is unlikely.

Hmmmm this is interesting you know.

Rumour of a dark ride. Trying one out at Thorpe, sorry THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORPE, wobble world closing, driving school closing, CaTCF closing, and HEX being fixed...

That's an awful lot of stuff in one area that has mysteriously all gone down.

And that's rather a lot of "estate" to play with.

It's either a REALLY big coincidence, or there's planning afoot for that entire area.

Intriguing!

Pretty sure wobble world has been gutted as well. I did say a few months back that I thought they would develop it in 2017-2019. I expect the end of driving school with it completely removed, the wobbleworld building knocked down, and Charlie gutted/removed. What I could really see working well is a theme like Arthur, and an huge enclosed area. Toadstool would fit in if they did an enchanted village/forest theme. Am I right in thinking they could extend into the old coaster corner as long as it's not loud? If so I can see something happening with that whole side of the area being knocked down with frog hopper moved. Maybe keep the street but build a pathway to the side of ice age. What I expect here is possibly a flume or a large indoor area (indoor area could be unlikely, but not impossible) Flume, dark ride, 2 flats and another tracked or dark ride. If anywhere on park is to get a water ride I would see it as that area as with all the other areas not having a man made water system (apart from battle galleons, and for that to be used for something else they'd have to remove that, which is unlikely.) but Charlie has a water system, and with removal of that likely I see a water ride using the water system (flume, possibly utilising the building for a dark ride section, before going up a lift and outside for a drop) or a brand new dark ride, using a different transit system to the boats. Its either that or a aindoorarea I think.

Also, if the area was to be developed, what would happen to Ice age, frog hopper, toadstool and gallopers? I see the other rides closing, and possibly ice age in 2017/2018 but unless Charlie was done up for one of those years I reckon they'd close it all off but Charlie and toadstool, I can't see any of the current cloud cuckoo land rides remaining apart from toadstool after this season, but surely they'd just close the whole area off in 2017 and do a couple of years work on it. I definitely do think it will be closed off in 2017/2018 but which year and what rides would survive?

I think if they do start again with CCL, then it will work better as an older childerens area. At the moment, it sort of clashes with CBBL, obviously don't turn it into an apocalypse area (we have enough already, thanks merlin) but just seperate it a little more. I like how kc works rides that are thrilling for kids, but fun for anyone older. A nice familly dark ride in CCL would do it perfectly.

Yeah, with Charlie's removal I believe that has a clean water system so they wouldn't need to spend too much time installing one. I was thinking about it when the annouced the flume and the CCL Land rides would close, but wasn't sure. That's what I'm expecting up there, not sure on the likelihood of it happening but I reckon it's the most likely area for a flume.

If they used the Charlie site for a new flume or some kind of water ride it would free up the existing flume site for the next major coaster development. There is definitely room to expand behind that site beyond the existing footprint of the building and correct me if I'm wrong weren't there plans drawn up about a decade ago for several new attractions in that area?

What we really need is a hybrid water/coaster/dark ride like Journey to Atlantis or Chiapas - the UK is crying out for a ride that gets you wet, but not too wet like one of those (perfect for our climate) but which is also immersive with theming.

I personally think that The Flume site is large enough to have both a coaster and water transit ride that interweave with each other, much like what they have done at PortAventura with the mine train and log flume. I think it would really depend on whether they could get planning permission to use that woodland more extensively - imagine how good a woodie could be on that site with a water ride going through it?

Maybe that is too ambitious thinking, but that site has potential beyond just a replacement flume ride IMO.

:)

Last edited:
I feel like the coaster is more likely on the flume site, and a flume is more likely in CCL. Charlie building can be expanded, and there is the coaster corner behind which could potentially be used. I reckon whatever happens in cloud cuckoo land will use that space where coaster corner used to be.

Would be nice to see a WUZE Town-alike in place of CCL. Keep it nice and enclosed and they can put anything they like inside it!

That could go very well....or very very badly. Either way it'd be interesting to see