• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Who do you want to buy Alton Towers?

You need a group of hedgefunders lead by a board of people with their head screwed on right for theme park investment (realising you have to pump a lot in but you get a lot out if you do so) preferably with an entertainment or theme park background

they would have us enthusiasts to get past first, before they did that!

I don't think a group of enthusiasts would have much fight against a corporate giant whose pockets are lined with precious precious gold in this day and age. Or ever.

they would have us enthusiasts to get past first, before they did that!

No. As usual, it would be be Staffs Moorlands Council, who would not give them planning permission (understandably in this case though, if the housing had a direct and lasting negative impact on the historic nature of the place). DIRECT AND LASTING being my important words.

I don't think a group of enthusiasts would have much fight against a corporate giant whose pockets are lined with precious precious gold in this day and age. Or ever.

No. As usual, it would be be Staffs Moorlands Council, who would not give them planning permission (understandably in this case though, if the housing had a direct and lasting negative impact on the historic nature of the place). DIRECT AND LASTING being my important words.
what i meant was surely someone would start a petition?

Towers is probably the only theme park in Merlin's arsenal that'd stand on it's own well. Also at the moment it is probably the one they'd most likely sell

Towers is probably the only theme park in Merlin's arsenal that'd stand on it's own well. Also at the moment it is probably the one they'd most likely sell

Why do you think that, out of actual interest? Because they could get a decent price for it out of their initial outlay, or other reasons? Genuinely interested in your thoughts on why, I'm not trying to trap you or anything stupid like that.

Why do you think that, out of actual interest? Because they could get a decent price for it out of their initial outlay, or other reasons? Genuinely interested in your thoughts on why, I'm not trying to trap you or anything stupid like that.
It would be a good sell due to its heritage (both historical and theme park years). Merlin could want shot due to the PR and financial liability the park has now become for them.

It would be a good sell due to its heritage (both historical and theme park years). Merlin could want shot due to the PR and financial liability the park has now become for them.

Yeah, decent points to be honest. Although, the point of it being one of their flagships with the heritage of the place may complicate that slightly. It is a good selling point but could also be seen as a loss to the overall brand of Merlin if they sold. Also, the Smiler story could possibly follow them around as a company anyway. It's a strange time at the moment which requires strong management.

Yeah, decent points to be honest. Although, the point of it being one of their flagships with the heritage of the place may complicate that slightly. It is a good selling point but could also be seen as a loss to the overall brand of Merlin if they sold. Also, the Smiler story could possibly follow them around as a company anyway. It's a strange time at the moment which requires strong management.
I think Merlin would be fine without Towers actually. Merlin are the company that 'owned the Sealifes that ended up buying the park's' anyway. The Legoland parks and the Midways are the core business for Merlin now and where completely unscathed by the Smiler crash. I think the company now see AT, Thorpe and Chessington as high maintenence annoyances. That's compounded with AT as it's a high risk, high Investment kind of park that has recently seen its reputation ruined. I'm in no doubt that if a reasonable offer was on the table, Merlin would offload AT in a heartbeat.