Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, 14th Mar 2018.

1. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Rode 3 times back during Oktoberfest, twice in the dark, front, back and middle. Didn't find it any more rough than usual.

Something's clearly up though because a lot of people think otherwise. Maybe it's one train in particular causing issues?

2. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    It’s just the first pass through the structure in my opinion that is getting rough. I still wouldn’t consider it uncomfortable, however if the whole ride carried that roughness, then it would be an issue. And I agree it’s felt slower recently, mostly due to the colder weather conditions in my opinion. I can just see a more comprehensive Re-track coming of that first corner into big Bob over close season.

Ethan likes this.
  3. TheAverageNerd

TheAverageNerd TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    The ride certainly felt a little rougher than it used to. Had a ride towards the front first thing in the morning on Sunday and while still very enjoyable, it certainly didn't feel as smooth.

Ethan likes this.
  4. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

I think the 2nd time going through big bob dropping to the right is quite rough aswell

5. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    I rode Wicker Man at the end of September and didn't consider it any different to my last ride on it at the end of last year. It was certainly not what I would consider rough. But nor is Nemesis rough and yet people on here keep telling me it is, so it seems like personal tolerances vary.

Jb85, Connor98, Ethan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

This is what happens when the UK doesn’t have any new wooden coasters installed for decades.... people become soft!

pluk and jon81uk like this.
  7. Ethan

I don't mind roughness on a woodie, it adds to the craziness and out of control feeling they have. However, when a ride gives me a headache I question it

8. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    I was on the back row of Wicker Man on Saturday but didn’t think it was rough at all!

Matt N likes this.
  9. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Wickerman and Smiler are no Corkscrew, man yourselves up, they aren't rough.

10. Ethan

I'd say wicker man is more on the rough side compared to the rest of the big 7. I've never thought the smiler is bad, the odd jolt but at least the track feels smooth, unlike wicker man which feels like it's trying to throw you off

11. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Feels like most other GCI woodies to me, their MO is the out of control style of wooden coasters.

Alsty likes this.
  12. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    Interesting to hear, I’ve only ridden one GCI (wicker man) so it’s hard for me to comment on other woodies. It’s definitely still miles smoother that the likes of Grand national and even Megafobia. Out of curiosity has anybody had chance to ride any Gravity group coasters here? How do they compare to GCI in terms of feel and quality.

Ethan likes this.
  13. Ethan

I don't understand how people compare a 2 year old GCI to an 85 year old standard woodie. Off course wicker man is smoother but that's only due to its age and manufacture. If wicker man was anywhere the roughness of national already then I'd be worried

14. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    It’s just the way people carry on, you’d think it is.

15. Ethan

Understandable comparing wicker man to something like megafobia but it's unfair to compare it to national as the age gap is too big

16. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    agreed, I think the day we come off with cartoon birds frying round our head is the day we should worry.

17. Ethan

Exactly. But if we were to compare I'd imagine national wasn't as rough at 2 as wicker man is now. It'll be very interesting to see how the ride runs by 30

18. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    They angered the imperial leather duck by demolishing the flume. Building over its sacred ground it cursed the foundations and rumour has it you can hear the livid quacks deep in the structure.

The Wickerman flames are no match for the moist duck. It won’t end well.

Joel3, Ethan, Connor98 and 4 others like this.
  19. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Got to agree with the "it's a bit rough" brigade. Ridden it three times today and it's very very bumpy.

Knocks it down from great to good. Hope they sort it.

Bert2theSpark, Ethan and Matt N like this.
  20. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

I’ve noticed it seems to go from side to side a lot more than I ever remember it doing. Maybe they’ve changed the wheels or something with the trains. Even on the straight boring bits it seems to shake from side to side.