• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Remember that Thirteen is what it is because of the planning restrictions. They were only permitted to build minimal "run off" track in the woods. Yes that section is short but the drop track and backwards helix makes up for it. Plus it's incredible in the dark!
No.
A second loop around the trees, directly under and around the first, could have been done quite easily without the removal of any further trees in the ancient woodland.
Merlin chose to not invest the extra.
Like most rides at the Towers, including the woodie, the ride is a bit short.
And boring corner is boring...the same as the Blackpool turnarounds, built the best part of a century earlier.
Could have done more.

In hindsight 4 years on knowing the popularity of it now, it is very easy to say "they should've done this, they shouldn't have done that". But we all have to remember that Merlin/Towers were taking a chance with a woodie - one, because all research up till that point said the public didn't want one and two, improving their reputation after the accident. Pitch it too intense and many wouldn't like it potentially saying it's unsafe blah blah blah (stating The Smiler as they did so); pitch it too weak and everyone would loose interest and numbers wouldn't improve. In my mind because of this, it was a risky investment that thankfully has paid off, and off the back of it has also shown to Merlin that you don't need a "first" for a ride to be successful.

Considering that situation, I think they hit the mark spot on. It's right on the line of an intense family ride/weak thrill ride and that seems to have worked when you see peoples faces when they get off it and hear people talk about it.

In hindsight 4 years on knowing the popularity of it now, it is very easy to say "they should've done this, they shouldn't have done that". But we all have to remember that Merlin/Towers were taking a chance with a woodie - one, because all research up till that point said the public didn't want one and two, improving their reputation after the accident. Pitch it too intense and many wouldn't like it potentially saying it's unsafe blah blah blah (stating The Smiler as they did so); pitch it too weak and everyone would loose interest and numbers wouldn't improve. In my mind because of this, it was a risky investment that thankfully has paid off, and off the back of it has also shown to Merlin that you don't need a "first" for a ride to be successful.

Considering that situation, I think they hit the mark spot on. It's right on the line of an intense family ride/weak thrill ride and that seems to have worked when you see peoples faces when they get off it and hear people talk about it.
I still hope the next SW will have a worlds first element to it, was a but Dissappinted that wicker man's was wood near fire, this it.

I still hope the next SW will have a worlds first element to it, was a but Dissappinted that wicker man's was wood near fire, this it.
Unfortunately we are coming to a stage where technology is very advanced and world's firsts are harder to come by now, mostly likely to be Europe's first etc. But hopefully. Think since Wicker Man, Towers are focusing on World class attractions rather than Worlds firsts.

Unfortunately we are coming to a stage where technology is very advanced and world's firsts are harder to come by now, mostly likely to be Europe's first etc. But hopefully. Think since Wicker Man, Towers are focusing on World class attractions rather than Worlds firsts.
That's fair enough. Remember, Nemesis was a Europe's first as well.

The only thing I can think.of that hasn't been done properly would be being launched whilst upside down. That'd be something to experience.

I think there was plans prior to the Smiler incident to do a longer woodie with the station on the Blade site but that got scaled back. So I don't think public perception of woodies was the only issue in the end, it was also budgetary and planning (the big open site Wickerman is on is easier than going into the woodland near the Skyride).

To be fair the only proper world's first Alton have had is Th13teen and look how that turned out 🤷‍♂️

Oblivion was a worlds first too.

(unless you are arguing its not really vertical).
Exactly, its not really vertical so all it does is add afew degrees of steepness to existing drops, not world's first. Same as Smiler it just added inversions, it was a world record beater yes but using the term "World's First" is odd.
*COUGH* air *COUGH COUGH*
The only thing that makes Air world's first is how it goes into the flying position, even ignoring the odd one-off flying coasters (SkyTrak what are you?) the Vekoma Flying Dutchmans still beat Air to the flying game. Arguably the station lifting mechanism is a world's first yes, tough sell though :laughing:

Last edited:
Exactly, its not really vertical so all it does is add afew degrees of steepness to existing drops, not world's first. Same as Smiler it just added inversions, it was a world record beater yes but using the term "World's First" is odd.
Smiler was a world record breaker, not sure if they ever claim it was a worlds first, but "worlds first 14 inversion coaster" is not a lie.

Yes Oblivion isn't "vertical" but it was more than a few degrees. Did any coaster do anything close to that on a first drop? the Big One is a 65 degree drop.
Is there any pre-1998 coaster that was more than an 85 degree drop? Pretty sure that Oblivions 87.5 was a clear worlds first even if not truly "vertical". It is still vertical to the naked eye.

*COUGH* air *COUGH COUGH*
I don't think it was the worlds first it was made out to be? really, there were flying coasters before that, even if they weren't as good.
Also Superman ultimate flight opened a few weeks later.

The only thing that makes Air world's first is how it goes into the flying position, even ignoring the odd one-off flying coasters (SkyTrak what are you?) the Vekoma Flying Dutchmans still beat Air to the flying game. Arguably the station lifting mechanism is a world's first yes, tough sell though :laughing:

Was there any ride before Oblivion that held you tilted over the edge of a near vertical drop for a few seconds before releasing you? Sure, there were coasters that had steep drops but I’m not sure that any held you like that before plunging, I’d have thought that it was pretty unanimously considered a world first coaster.

Apologises for the thread digression of course.

Last edited: