• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

We better be getting soft opening on Monday and Tuesday if the weather improves. I will be pretty annoyed if they can open it and refuse to just so it's a busy opening day next Saturday. Some of the tweets appear to suggest we will.
Judging by what staff are saying it's not happening. The opening has indefinitely been moved to Saturday 24th.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Would have been quite impractical to open it today I suspect. We left just before noon having gone in Sea Life and ridden Hex.

So the ride should be running Mon, Tue, Thurs & Fri but not officially opened until next Sat?
I believe so. Absolutely no consideration by AT, just thinking of a huge payday next Saturday. Personally I don't see what difference it makes to open it on Monday, the park will still be rammed next weekend regardless.

Better be open this week, else there will be a LOT of complaints for people staying up this week - me included!

Edit : Just tweeted Towers this question. If its delayed until next Saturday then i'll be looking to move my hotel booking and park tickets.

I believe so. Absolutely no consideration by AT, just thinking of a huge payday next Saturday. Personally I don't see what difference it makes to open it on Monday, the park will still be rammed next weekend regardless.

increased queues at weekend, more fastrack sales.

Be interesting to see what they do with ERT next week. Soft opening might mean it doesn't open at 9.30.

increased queues at weekend, more fastrack sales.

But you're then risking upsetting all the originally planned midweek guests and hotel stayers. If the weather allows it, I imagine they will just open it regardless now. Why go through the trouble of upsetting another group of punters when looking at the forecast next week there's really no point. I'd be amazed if it stays shut till next weekend.

I don't think anybody would be complaining about this decision if they had made it in sufficient time. Knocking on hotel rooms several hours after check the day before opening is not sufficient time given that the forecast had been bad for nearly a week prior.

Long range forecast is very unsettled I suspect that’s why they are not promising midweek opening.

Monday and Tuesday looks to be chilly but between 4 - 7 degrees and 10mph winds. I'd be amazed if it remains shut unless those predicted temps change or are wrong.

The park is shut Wednesday regardless so they may leave it to Thursday I suppose but that would be incredibly disappointing if they do that.

I'm still hoping for cheeky soft opening Monday n Tuesday for my visit.

Ok so they just tweeted me back saying they cannot confirm the ride will operate in the week. Im not sure if they refer to the weather, or the fact they are delaying opening (ive fired that back at them). Weather next week is looking ok with temperatures around 8 degrees and just light rain forecast after Tuesday onwards so nothing the park cant usually handle.

If they are going to delay the opening then it needs to be announced asap. Im up Thursday and if the ride is ready to go and the weather is ok they should really be opening the ride.

Edit : so apparently on Twitter its announced that the official opening is on the 24th with the possibilityof soft openings in the week but Alton will not say any more about this. Bugger.

Last edited:
I'm still chancing it. If the weather is fine Monday and Tuesday it will open I would imagine. I really can't see them upsetting another group of guests (even though they've done little wrong anyway).

Soft opening could be a good thing anyway. Get the staff up to speed for next weekend which is now going to be mental as you'll have all that weekend's original guests and lots who go back from this one too I would bet. The queues next weekend will be horrendous.

I'm still chancing it. If the weather is fine Monday and Tuesday it will open I would imagine. I really can't see them upsetting another group of guests (even though they've done little wrong anyway).

Soft opening could be a good thing anyway. Get the staff up to speed for next weekend which is now going to be mental as you'll have all that weekend's original guests and lots who go back from this one too I would bet. The queues next weekend will be horrendous.

Yes, but as stated a few posts back, it will do their Fastrack sales the world of good. I don't touch theme parks with a barge pole on weekends if I can help it.

Just spoke to the hotel booking line who in turn phoned Towers management to get an update. The official line is that NO decision has been made on when the ride will open. She said they told her that they are keen to open the ride as soon as possible and if the weather conditions are ok, then they see no reason why they would not open the ride.

So, I read that as the ride will open in the week if the weather is ok. Anyway, ive left my booking for now as is, but they seemed open to changing the date if needs be.

Just left the park and actually had a very nice time. The live actors and entertainment was fantastic, the ride looks brilliant and the shop is very nicely themed. The atmosphere around the ride even with most of the effects turned off is great. I will be back next Saturday to ride it and I can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least we can say the park made an effort today! Also, at least the shop opened! That's my positive spin on it!

At least we can say the park made an effort today! Also, at least the shop opened! That's my positive spin on it!
Exactly, the park actually felt very alive today thanks to all of the actors; something it hasn’t really felt like for quite some time in my opinion. Also, the welcome-inn was very well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk