• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wiener Prater - A Cabinet of Curiosities

Burbs

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Iron Gwazi
In my valliant attempts of third-wheeling around the world, I’m currently sat in Vienna Airport Terminal 1 having spent a few days with my good friends @Rowe and @Cheese, after our weekend of Wiener Pratting. We’ve had quite a jaunt around the city, ticking off lots of sights and touristy bits, but the main Prater the trip, of course, was a visit to one of the world’s oldest permanent fairgrounds!

We visited the Prater on Sunday, with a better-than-anticipated looking weather forecast, and a substantial list of rides and coasters we wanted to experience. The long and short of it is that it is a place full of largely crap oddities. I can only really describe it as a more permanent version of Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, but each ride being about half the price you’d expect to pay there, which was of course very welcome.

It’s a very affordable day out, if you’re intending to do a couple of rides and soak up the atmosphere (unlike HPWW which feels like a financial investment regardless of how many rides you do), but as someone with a list of 10 coasters and several flat- and dark rides to do, I easily went through €60-70 in total, and coming away with not much to show for it in the whole grand scheme of things. We had a very good day, mind, in spite of the rides rather than because of the rides.

Anyway, the reason for this thread being titled as such is because lots of things there are… really weird! They have more dark rides than you can shake a stick at, including 2 indoor coasters (Maskerade, a Gerst spinner and Insider, a Maurer spinner), both of which are utter balls and the latter has a better queue line than the ride itself. I finally managed to get on a Zamperla Volare, having never had the misfortune to get to Flamingoland, which was not as bad as expected but a lot of that is down to my coaster riding experience and knowing how and where to brace. God help anyone not bracing, that’s for sure.

Other coasters of any note include the rather intense, yet short Vekoma MK-700 Megablitz, and the completely stupid Rollerball (think Wilde Hilde), which also happened to be my 300th cred. In addition, the 2 highlights on the coaster front would be the new Gerst Bob Die gesengte Sau, which is pretty nippy and very good fun despite the rather harsh MCBRs, and of course the Vekoma Boomerang, albeit with Sunkid Trains which have a lap bar instead of OTSRs, rendering the ride a lot more enjoyable than usual. Olympia Looping is currently under construction, but not the end of the world as we’d all ridden it before. It’ll be good for the park’s lineup once OL and the Mack Big Dipper, Wiener Looping, are both built.

With Rowe in tow, naturally we were to go on a few of the dark rides, of which there were an abundance! I did the very silly interactive Eisberg, complete with humping polar bears, and the walk through Dinosaur experience, which is one of those that’s just so bad it’s good!

Towards the end of the day, thanks to everything being a bit naff, we slowly lost enthusiasm (and financial security) for riding much more, so bailed on a few rides on my list such as the Breakdance, drop tower and some of the other dark rides.

Overall, we had a very good day and I’d be interested in returning once the Big Dipper has opened. Fortunately there is no entry fee so just a case of rock up and do whatever you fancy. It’s a weird and wacky place, with a lot of history, that is worth a visit if you are in the area. Unless you’re desperate for credits regardless of quality, I simply couldn’t recommend a visit to Vienna for the Prater alone.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your visit! I went to Prater last month, it’s a really nice city centre park. My visit was outside of the main season so not all the coasters were running, just Volare, Insider, Gesengte Sau, and Wilde Maus but I had fun anyway.

cffd997ee06bd4898a99626dd77e17b0.jpg

Gesengte Sau is a very fun coaster, I’m surprised we don’t have more of these Gertslauer Bobsleds in the UK.

db331895edd1f982231d318223917b53.jpg

Insider was brilliant as well, it’s just a modest little spinning Maurer that doesn’t even spin that much but by being essentially an enclosed dark ride with all manner of rave laser lighting it becomes a really trippy experience. It’s a good park, there’s a stunning flat ride in Black Mamba and an absolutely massive star flyer for the views (I was too chicken though, it’s a hell of a way up)! The park looks fantastic after dark.

7a3a303fea1006efa1ac60eb011d8376.jpg

ab8512eabded97457c5192ab6d5b3ea9.jpg

I think I’d disagree somewhat in that you say it’s not worth going just for the creds. Vienna is a beautiful city well worth seeing in itself and it’s so easy to get to the park, it’s only a 25 minute train journey from the airport to the gates of Prater. It really is one of the easiest parks in Europe to get to (along with Liseberg) and when the Mack Big Dipper opens it’s going to be great. It’s cheap to get there as well, I think I paid £16 for my flight there from Liverpool.

Interestingly RCDB lists Olympia Looping as being ‘Under Construction’ at the park at the moment so it must be returning for another visit imminently.

Keep meaning to visit as its so easy to get to from Liverpool. Have they actually started to build Weiner Looping yet? Considering a visit this autumn.

No the project has stalled - they hadn’t yet the permissions finalised to demolish the building on the site but started anyway. Now it sits half demolished and a legal battle is underway.
Oh is it going where the dark ride building is that looks like it’s been destroyed in a terrible freak weather incident?

Insider was brilliant as well, it’s just a modest little spinning Maurer that doesn’t even spin that much but by being essentially an enclosed dark ride with all manner of rave laser lighting it becomes a really trippy experience. It’s a good park, there’s a stunning flat ride in Black Mamba and an absolutely massive star flyer for the views (I was too chicken though, it’s a hell of a way up)! The park looks fantastic after dark.
The laser effects were fun but the ride was just DULL. Genuinely found the queue line more fun than the ride itself! As I mentioned about lost enthusiasm, we didn’t do many of the flat rides at all, besides the Tagada and Riesenrad. We also did a lap on the Liliputbahn which was awfully quaint. If and when I return, I shall endeavour to do more flats considering there’s only a small handful of coasters I’d bother doing.

I think I’d disagree somewhat in that you say it’s not worth going just for the creds. Vienna is a beautiful city well worth seeing in itself and it’s so easy to get to the park, it’s only a 25 minute train journey from the airport to the gates of Prater. It really is one of the easiest parks in Europe to get to (along with Liseberg) and when the Mack Big Dipper opens it’s going to be great. It’s cheap to get there as well, I think I paid £16 for my flight there from Liverpool.
Sorry, I must have not been clear what I meant. I was trying to say that going to Vienna solely to ride the creds is not worth your time considering the mediocre quality across the board, but the city itself and surrounding areas are well worth a visit. We spent 3 full days here and have ticked off just about everything on our list, and that’s without going into any of the galleries or museums.

Interestingly RCDB lists Olympia Looping as being ‘Under Construction’ at the park at the moment so it must be returning for another visit imminently.
Yes it looks to be about 2/3 complete.

Wow that mouse at 1:41 really shows the difference between UK and European operations!