• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wiki cleanup project

Jordan

TS Contributor
Hello,

The wiki's been in a state of disrepair lately, and Rowe and I have been looking at the things that could be done to help clean it up.

We've added a page at TowersStreet Wiki:Cleanup Project with an initial list.

If anyone would like to spend some time and help out, it would be really appreciated.

I actually did change something in an article from TTF to TST earlier, but I can't remember what article it was in :/

But yes, I shall certainly help out on this :)

Joel - can you please add an exception to your 404 redirects for requests within the wiki folder (so that it uses the default MediaWiki behaviour of offering to create the page)? At the moment it's difficult to add pages that dont currently exist, like my user talk page, as the server takes over and offers its search engine :)

Also - IIRC Rowe (and a couple of others?) had Wiki admin rights when we were TTF - can these be reinstated? Protected pages such as the Wiki rules need a rewrite to correspond to the new site :D

I believe some members (including Rowe) have had a lot of permissions given to them to get things on track. We haven't given out full admin permissions just so Joel and Craig have a final control of things.

It's a bit like how I can't do everything Craig can do on the forums. We are also playing the wiki cautiously to see how it runs.

Edit: Craig said to say there are other things wiki based coming up, he will inform the forum when he is free (its his monthly manicure and facial night and he has the new Elemis Beauty Girl product to try out).

:D

Me too, I just assumed someone was tinkering with it and was going to come back to it later. I hope anyway :/

Mike said:
Joel - can you please add an exception to your 404 redirects for requests within the wiki folder (so that it uses the default MediaWiki behaviour of offering to create the page)? At the moment it's difficult to add pages that dont currently exist, like my user talk page, as the server takes over and offers its search engine :)

Fixed that - but we don't allow user talk pages anyway as part of the rules (they got a little abused last time with the "dont make pages about people" rule et al). :)

LiamC said:
Me too, I just assumed someone was tinkering with it and was going to come back to it later. I hope anyway :/

Yeah tis I tinkering trying to update MediaWiki :p

Just as a wee aside, something from the shoutbox that got me thinking...

Personal thought this, but if people are changing every TowersTimes or TTF reference to read TowersStreet or TST I feel that this is detrimental to the wiki. It charts the history of the users of this site as a collective and includes loads of content created back on TT... For the words to be changed it actually makes some pages lose meaning and look a bit petty - like a cover-up. Maybe writing a note on the page to say it is a joke or a reference that stems from TTF days in the past or something would be better than furiously changing ALL THE REFERENCES [insert meme here]

*Jonathan, this probably reads like it is directly at you because I responded to you in the Shoutbox, but it's not. It's to anyone who is editing the wiki or part of its cleanup and it is something I have thought about recently but your post did on the off-chance spur me into writing something about it :)

Very good point, Scott. I think keeping the Chat and Skype pages as they are would be sensible, seeing as loads of the stuff came from when we were on TTF. However, if anyone feels that edits need to be made to anything else, then I think that they should be allowed to do so, and where appropriate, adding in what Scott suggested.

I've just found this page...
http://www.towersstreet.com/wiki/David_Laws
Which seems to have been created by my account. Only thing is, It wasn't me that made it. Any ideas what's going on there?
*gets the fear*

EDIT: there seem to be many pages that think I started them when I didn't, as well as loads of edits I had nothing to do with. I'm going to assume this is some kind of database error, rather than some dodgy hacking. :eek:

Scott said:
Just as a wee aside, something from the shoutbox that got me thinking...

Personal thought this, but if people are changing every TowersTimes or TTF reference to read TowersStreet or TST I feel that this is detrimental to the wiki. It charts the history of the users of this site as a collective and includes loads of content created back on TT... For the words to be changed it actually makes some pages lose meaning and look a bit petty - like a cover-up. Maybe writing a note on the page to say it is a joke or a reference that stems from TTF days in the past or something would be better than furiously changing ALL THE REFERENCES [insert meme here]

I can understand what you mean. I suppose it comes back to the often-avoided question about what TowersTimes used to be in regards to what TowersStreet now is. Other members here probably have different opinions, but for me, the only change I feel between this time last year and today is that we have a new name and a new website - it feels as though the exact same community (with a few new members along the way), along with all its past memes and anecdotes, is still here today. I don't think leaving around stray references to TTF, which no longer embodies many of the memes or pages in question, is helpful to those browsing the wiki. Feel free to disagree :)

I do, however, think that we should have some recognition for the history of TowersStreet and its roots in the TowersTimes community. Perhaps a carefully-worded section to the TowersStreet wiki page might be a good compromise here?

This was a concern I had when someone first suggested turning the TTF's to TST's.

I think when the wiki page is referring to something that migrated from TTF to TST then it's fine but any serious content such as the Members Awards needs to acknowledge that they happened on TTF even if most the members in question are now active here (remember not everyone moved here).

I'm sure there are better examples but that should give a good idea of what should and shouldn't be changed.

Tim said:
This was a concern I had when someone first suggested turning the TTF's to TST's.

I think when the wiki page is referring to something that migrated from TTF to TST then it's fine but any serious content such as the Members Awards needs to acknowledge that they happened on TTF even if most the members in question are now active here (remember not everyone moved here).

I'm sure there are better examples but that should give a good idea of what should and shouldn't be changed.

I quite agree, which was what I was just looking at doing last night.

Whilst I wasn't on TTF when all of what happened happened, I was there many years ago and understand that whilst it's not regarded as it was, it did give rise to this place.

For example, I changed this from TTF to TST:

Shockwave opened in 1994 as Europe's first stand up coaster. Know by many TSTers as <censored> Basher: The Ride

However, something relating to an award given or something originating over on TTF should, in my eyes, remain as it is. It's just a case of using common sense really :)

^ Exactly.

My only concern was when reading articles that had been changed and said things like "originating on TST in 2008". It's when things are directly referred to from the past that they need to be kept as they are - especially considering this site didn't exist back then :p