• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Will we ever see other 'Merlin Brands' at Alton Towers?

Thomas

TS Member
First of all, apologies if this is better suited to the general forum.

At present we are seeing across the Merlin parks, a series of close integrations of different brands all merging together. For example a SEA-LIFE, centre can be found in both Alton Towers as well as Chessington. The case of Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno, where a strong established brand has been brought across a park for the benefit of marketing. The current trend of Merlin catering outlets being merged under the same 'sister' brands is another example of cross park marketing.

What I'm asking is, will we ever see other Merlin brands at Alton Towers, and would you be opposed to them or in favour?

Personally, I can see the Dungeon brand working very well at Alton Towers, especially within the Towers themselves. I'm aware that planning permission may be a barrier to this, but close proximity to the Towers would give a very interesting concept.

Lego, as a brand would work well as well. Lego has the same values of Alton Towers, both parks have a very 'British' sense of humour. I'd love to see Cloud Clukoo Land given the boot in the future or even Adventure Land, and instead a LEGO themed area take its place. Although, I am unsure as to whether the LEGO brand would allow itself to be used at Alton Towers, when LEGOLAND itself may lose custom.

I'd be very surprised if Tussuads ever came to Alton Towers, but it would add to the 'resort side of the brand' if it were to be on site as well perhaps outside of the park?

One final comment, or rather thought. If these brands were to arrive would they be an upcharge as say The Castle Dungeon is at Warrick Castle or would they be all within one price?

Thomas.

Funnily enough a permanent Dungeon attraction has certainly been considered for the Towers and also there was suggestion at one point the Waterpark could recieve a lego update.

This ideas never came about, but never say never.

A dungeons would work very well at the towers. But like you said planning could be an issue, but they could get around it like they did with Hex, and simply build the whole thing next to the towers. The only place for this would be next to Hex, but you would have to remove all the towers maintanence buildings, etc, but this could be done. You could have the entrance near the Oblivion side of the towers as that is the lower end of the building and the queue wouldnt be in the way of Hex or the towers.

As for other brands, I dont think Lego would want a Lego themed bit at Towers when they already have LegoLand and the discovery centre.

I don't think they should bring other brands onto the park but i think they could make great added extras on the resort. Having a Lego discovery centre, a Dungeons experience and maybe a Tussauds experience off park but on resort would work well within a "downtown Disney" style resort setting.

It would be a risk but could be a money spinner

I couldn't see a Dungeons attraction coming with Sub-Terra. I wouldn't like a LEGO area for the sake or Legoland. Besides, Alton have the most original theming of the Merlin parks so I think it should stay that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see more LEGO being sold around the park though with LL advertisements.

Dave said:
and maybe a Tussauds experience off park but on resort would work well within a "downtown Disney" style resort setting.

It would be a risk but could be a money spinner

It would require a MASSIVE investment to put it up to standards, but I feel this would be a perfect move for the resort. I wouldn't even mind loosing a couple of years of adding attractions annually to make a top quality addition like this. I'd expect live entertainments, bars/pubs as well as various shops that sell Merlin specific merchandise and, at a massive budget push, a similar venue to that of Disney Quest in Orlando. I think ten years down the line, it would certainly be benefiting the resort.

Although since Merlin are cutting costs in the form of removing acorns from the park, I doubt this will ever happen :-\

Dungeons perhaps but I somewhat doubt a Madame Tussauds would fit anywhere.

I am not really a fan of bringing other merlin attractions within the park (although the sealife centre worked). But if merlin ever do bring such attractions as "The Dungeons" I think they should be located next to the hotels, in that way opening hours would be longer because it's not actually in the park which I think would help the resort to grow more.

josht said:
I am not really a fan of bringing other merlin attractions within the park (although the sealife centre worked). But if merlin ever do bring such attractions as "The Dungeons" I think they should be located next to the hotels, in that way opening hours would be longer because it's not actually in the park which I think would help the resort to grow more.

I agree whole heartly with this - sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Tom said:
The could have a small one on Towers Street.

Although I agree with the above said, the third hotel's construction can be around 2018 and I'd love to see it get a Great British theme and the Madame Tussauds could fit there, but also be accessed by non-hotel guests easily.

Stelios said:
Tom said:

Although I agree with the above said, the third hotel's construction can be around 2018 and I'd love to see it get a Great British theme and the Madame Tussauds could fit there, but also be accessed by non-hotel guests easily.
Has anything been confirmed about the third hotel's construction ??

josht said:
Stelios said:
Tom said:

I'm sure I heard somewhere tha they had a ten year period to build it when it was recently accepted and I'm sure 2018 was involved then. It would make sense, I remember locals complaining in 2008 too.

Stelios said:
josht said:
Stelios said:
Tom said:

I'm sure I heard somewhere tha they had a ten year period to build it when it was recently accepted and I'm sure 2018 was involved then. It would make sense, I remember locals complaining in 2008 too.
Would like to what happens within the next few years I think by between know and 2018 could be the making of alton towers next 30 years and I believe they will keep going to become increable as it has been for the last 30 years

josht said:
Stelios said:
josht said:
Stelios said:
Tom said:

Would like to what happens within the next few years I think by between know and 2018 could be the making of alton towers next 30 years and I believe they will keep going to become increable as it has been for the last 30 years

If your talking about the year that would define the Towers foreseeable future. I would say 2019 as it's the end to the MTDP and would be great to asess what has happened over the 10 years. Will Merlin still even be in charge then?

But we digress, all in all fonthe near future with IP's being heavily favoured. I don't think we'll be seeing Merlin brands at Alton.

I agree with adding the Dungeons to the Resort Hotels it has more stuff to do of an evening then even if it opens later than the themepark I doubt it would if it was added but say around Miday-ish that way you could purchase combi tickets say for Extraordinary Golf, Water Park & Dungeons! Although the Dungeons are mainly based at Teens and upwards I do like the idea of the ''Great British Hotel'' it has a certain esque about it..

I'd much rather see them concentrate on getting their act together with the park before they even think of considering adding other brands to the resort.

Rather than dungeons, I'd rather Merlin create a new waterpark franchise accross the uk, and include Splash Landings as their first project.

For example, whilst waterpark A 'Splash 'n' Scream - Trafford Center' (or other cheesy brand name + location in UK) is being built, they renovate Cariba Creek including more slides and more activities and rebrand it to (Cariba Creek presented by Splash 'n' Scream) or likewise another cheesy merlin brand name which can become well known for waterparks accross the UK.

I wonder how customers would perceive a Madame Tussauds or Dungeon. The park certainly has some interesting history that could be tied into a dungeon.

Would customers be encouraged to visit the stand alone installs of these attractions, or put off because they could do them at Alton? I'm not sure of the answer to that key question.