• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Winterville - East London Winter Wonderland-style Xmas Fair

Rose Of Dawn

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Eejanaika (Fuji-Q Highland)
New-Town-Map.jpg

http://winterville.co.uk

Forget the frozen north – the place you’ll want to be this Christmas is the cool east or, to be more specific, Winterville in Victoria Park. Never heard of it? That’s not surprising as this magical temporary kingdom isn’t set to come into existence until December 2.

When it materialises, though, it’ll make you feel all warm and fuzzy right through to New Year’s Eve. Combining east London’s creative energy and talent drawn from across Europe, this new winter destination is aimed at all ages. The idea is that it will be somewhere kids will clamour to visit, while parents will be more than happy to indulge them.

So what will be on offer? Not just the obligatory outdoor ice rink (which is covered, so if you book ahead it won’t be a disaster if it rains). There’ll be a roller disco, too, with DJs provided by some of London’s hottest promoters. The House of Fairytales, who curate imaginative creative activities for children, are also on board. Plus there will be a Santa’s grotto, romantic horsedrawn carriage rides taking in the park’s lake and pagoda, and fairground rides including a huge Ferris wheel (we love those things although they can be confusing if you’ve raised a few festive glasses: you may find yourself wondering why the London Eye has suddenly shrunk). For those who like a surge of adrenaline with their Christmas spirit, vintage motorcycles will perform daring stunts on an original Wall Of Death.

Fuelling the fun will be street food outlets to suit all tastes. Wholefood Heaven will keep the vegetarians, vegans, raw and wheat- and glutenfree foodies healthy and happy, while Madame Gautier dishes up traditional French fare, local Dalston business Voodoo Ray’s serves up tasty pizza slices and Anna Mae’s provides crucial carbs, with variations on that cold-weather staple, macaroni cheese. Winterville may be a whole new world but it’s still in east London so its indoor pub will have craft beers on offer.

In the atmospheric wood-panelled and mirrored Dutch Spiegeltent, Friday nights will be hosted by Bugged Out! and on Sundays Summer Rites will present the cream of London’s alt-cabaret scene, kicking off with the Gay Bingo Christmas Show on December 7. Panto is promised too.

From looking at the map, there could well be a travelling coaster here. Chances are if they do, it'll be a standard travelling pinfari or wild mouse.

Also of note:

Alongside traditional Fairground attractions, we have a number of rides from Europe that are premiering in the UK for the first time. There are family-friendly rides in the form of a traditional Carousel, the Family Twister and Bumper Cars and then rides like the Sky Flyer and Speed Booster for those who prefer the white-knuckle treatment. And our Kid’s Area has its own mini-Fairground all of its own.

Regardless, I'm certainly planning on visiting. Could be interesting.

Doesn't sound too bad to be fair. I sure hope it's a lot cheaper than Winter Wonderland for starters! I would be interested in visiting as it is local for me, although a bit tricky to get to from where I live.

Something to keep an eye on I guess.

Winter Wonderland is good, but it's getting a bit repetitive now. Too expensive and nothing more than Wild Mouse coasters. With how popular it is, I really would have thought we'd be seeing more substantial rides by now.

I've only done WW twice, but last year was certainly a step up from the year before. I doubt we'll ever see any truly decent travelling coasters there, though.

Going by the recent photos on facebook, there's a Reverchon spinning mouse at the event.

It's purple and green, anyone know who's it is?

Probably the one that was at Winter Wonderland a couple of years ago.

Going by the recent photos on facebook, there's a Reverchon spinning mouse at the event.

It's purple and green, anyone know who's it is?

Oh, that's mine, I wondered where I'd left it, cheers mate!

This year is the same as last year. They have the blue one in the tent trying to be a poor man's Hollenblitz, and the smaller yellow one in the kids area.
But a couple of years ago they had a green / purple one.

I really am sick of Reverchon spinning mice now. :/

Ah, you're thinking of Buwuldas (?) Christmas Spinning coaster, that was purple and yellow if memory serves me correctly.

I may have confused all the tinsle it was wrapped in for some green...