• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

With SW8 for 2018, could we see another 1994?

shawnoc

TS Member
With SW8 possibly being a family/family-thrill woodie?? With a woodie being generally cheaper than a steel coaster (without a worlds first or usp). Could we see a major refurb of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on the same lines as Toyland Tours replacing Around the World the same year as the opening Nemesis in 1994?

It's not like Alton Towers are shy of leaving an old attraction closed for a couple of years before redevelopment??

I can see it as a possibility as they could have some spare budget from the CAPEX for Alton in 2018. It could become a catalyst for a rejuvenation of Cloud Cookoo Land. What theme I'm not sure (prob dreamworks) but would love to see something original.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if we'll see a refurb for Charlie in 2018, but I do think we could be seeing an industry wide 1994.

With Alton getting a woodie(?), Blackpool getting a multi-launch Mack(?), Chessington maybe getting a Juvelen-type ride, and Drayton or Flamingo Land possibly getting something, 2018 should be a massive year for the UK coaster industry.

I just hope it's a springboard this time instead of a one-off for 20 years again!

I agree with Dar in saying this could be a 1994 repeat for the UK part industry and not specifically Towers. I think a key difference between 1994 and 2018 is that SW8 and Blackpool's new coaster could both be amazing, where as in 1994 you had the excellent Nemesis, but the very "meh" Shockwave and PMBO.

Would be ace as well if Mingo and Drayton got new coasters as well as Chessie getting a Juvelen style ride.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but was at pleasure beach today and saw guys measuring up for the new ride.
b48efae8ffc351f9ec5f79d3e2789cc9.jpg

I think both the scenarios discussed in this thread are not particularly likely to be true in 2018, as they were in 1994.

At Alton - the park doesn't need to grow as much now, as it did previously. Development of the park has slowed, it's now more about maintaining and refreshing the line up with sporadic additions than it is transforming the Alton Towers of the early 1990s into a world class attraction with 3m+ visitors, that's been done and therefore the approach has been realigned.

In the industry generally, I am sure the press would make something out of it, but big thrill coasters are now common place. In 1994, it was a new game - the 1980s and early 1990s had brought very little to the market in terms of big coasters, bar Corkscrew, Thunder Looper, Ultimate, Avalanche and a couple of Boomerangs. Since then, well, it's all a tad routine with new various new coasters all over the place.

It's like when a band has their first hit song, it's a big deal. Six or seven down the line... no one is really that bothered, bar their die hard fans.