• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

My top ten coasters eh? Well prepare yourselves for controversy! :p

1: The SWARM - THORPE PARK - What's not to love about it? Smooth, fast, forceful, well themed. Has a lot of height, and probably the most unique start of any coaster I've been on! That first inversion is just... Wow!

2: Oz'Iris - Parc Asterix - Another what's not to love ride. It has the whole package! I really want to see how it looks in a few years when all the plants start to grow and such. It looks beautiful already, so it'll be interesting to see if it can look any more amazing!

3: Air - Alton Towers - A real monument to modern engineering. It shows what a roller coaster can achieve when married with the right technology. The ride is butter smooth, the seats are the comfiest I've experienced, the landscaping and layout are graceful and a feast for the eyes. Sure, a little more theming wouldn't go amiss, but the landscape alone sells the ride.

4: Black Mamba - Phantasialand - Wow. Just wow. It takes landscaping and terrain interaction to a whole new level! Combine that with the seamlessly smooth ride experience, and the lavishly detailed theming and you have a truly breathtaking ride. So why do I rank it under Oz'Iris? It just lacks something... I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a unique element. Oz'Iris has the continual curving lift top, the angled drop out of the loop, and the roll which goes the opposite way. Black Mamba just uses more standard elements. Don't get me wrong, it uses them very well! Better than any other Inverted Coaster. It just needs that one unique feature to give it that last punch.

5: Colossus - THORPE PARK - I don't care what anyone says, Colossus is a brilliant ride! It's no B&M, granted, but it's not that rough. It's no worse than most other non-B&M inverting coasters. Like with Air the landscaping is beautiful, and the coaster entwines with it seamlessly. I just wish Thorpe would go back and clean up some of the theming, and give it a lick of paint. It's a beautiful looking ride, which could easily be made to look even better.

6: Nemesis - Alton Towers - Low you may think. Well maybe it is. There's no denying Nemesis is a bloody good coaster. It packs some serious punch, and the interaction with its surroundings is incredible. But I honestly can never say I have come off it enjoying a ride in the way I have enjoyed a ride on the other two inverters above it. Maybe it's the fact I greyout on every ride, but it looses some enjoyment sadly. Plus, I think it's one of the most "bigged up" rides out there. I first rode it having read many reviews, and hearing many a tale of this mind blowing roller coaster. And in truth? I actually came off feeling a little disappointed! Sorry Nemmy, but you don't quite cut it for me :(

7: Space Mountain - Parc Disneyland (Paris) - DUN DUUUUUUN, DAHDAHDAH DUUUUUN, DUN DAHD'HNA DADADADH! Love it, love it, love it! Like with Colossus I found no aspect of the ride painful or rough (Except maybe the massive step down into the trains! :p ). It vibrated a bit, yes, but it didn't at all feel like it threw me around. But this is more than just a roller coaster in the dark. It's a show! The whole experience from start to finish is a well choreographed piece of theatre or film. Right down to the music and sound effects. Boarding Space Mountain I don't feel like I'm about to ride a multi-inverting roller coaster. I feel like I am about to watch my favourite film or play. And every time I get off I'm positively grinning from ear to ear.

8: Goudurix - Parc Asterix - Right, where to start. Yes it's a little bumpy. There's no denying it isn't. But it's still a bloody good ride! The complete knot of track is just a feast for the eyes from around the lake. The station building looks really great from the outside. It's nothing special I guess, but it's aesthetically pleasing non the less. The ride itself is relentless. From the moment you pull out of that first drop it's just inversion after inversion after inversion. I love it!

9: Winjas - Phantasialand - Yes, you read that right. A spinning coaster is in my top ten. And not just any spinning coaster. Only a Maurer Sohne spinning coaster! But why?! I normally hate spinning coasters with a passion! Well I'll tell you why. Winjas is a unique spinning coaster for several reasons. Not only does it have several special features which I'll come to shortly, but it's a spinning coaster which doesn't make spinning the focus of the ride! You could easily put some Maurer Maus cars on it and I think it would still have a similar effect. It wouldn't be as good, but I don't think it'd loose much. Because the spinning aspect isn't the main focus of the ride it doesn't feel the need to constantly throw you into corners and flick you around in a dizzying frenzy, as so many other spinners do. Instead it meanders it's way around, chucking in the odd sharp turn here and there, but on the whole just gently rotating as the ride goes. Moving onto the special elements, well from the lift hill you know this is going to be a special MS spinner. Those lifts are a brilliant way of getting the ride off to a start. The sensation of moving straight upwards while simultaneously tilting forwards is most peculiar. But it means from the moment the lift parks at the top you are thrown right into that action, plummeting down the first drop. Then the two different Trick Tracks. Both are brilliant, and really take you by surprise if you aren't expecting them. Fear is my favourite (See-Saw), though I do like Force too. If you ask me though Maurer got them the wrong way around. I find the tilt to be much more thrilling than the see-saw. Especially if you get thrown headlong to the side by it. It caught me every time! :p Then even on the brake run the ride has that one last surprise in store, with the track bouncing on the spot while you roll back into the station. It's a brilliant pair of coasters, and is for me the saving grace for Maurer's spinning coasters... And I guess it has some nice theming and interaction too ;) All in all though I could happily ride these pair all day long.

10: Tough one... But it's probably: Colorado Adventure - Phantasialand - Well I think this puts any other mine train coaster I've ridden to shame, and that includes Paris' Big Thunder Mountain! It's a great example that you can create a very intense and thrilling ride without even needing inversions. Seriously, for anyone who questions it just try riding back row with no hands! The airtime and sudden transitions really took me by surprise! It's a shame I couldn't put this a bit higher really... Who knows; after Chiapas when it looks like there's going to be some more theming added to the ride maybe it'll pop up a couple of places! :p

My newly revised list:

10 ) Stealth (Thorpe Park)
9 ) The Ultimate (Lightwater Valley)
8 ) Raptor (Gardaland)
7 ) Goliath (Walibi World)
6) Dragon Kahn (Port Aventura)
5 ) Oblivion (Alton Towers)
4 ) Katun (Mirabilandia)
3) Shambhala (Port Aventura)
2 ) Nemesis (Alton Towers)
1 ) iSpeed (Mirabilandia)

:)

It's become so fashionable recently to not put Nemesis #1. Don't shout me down, because this is just my theory and personal opinion. But I think a lot of it is because people want to show off what far-flung parks they've been to, and rare coasters they've ridden.

I do it myself. When people find out I'm an enthusiast and ask me what my favourite coaster is, I say X2 in California as saying Nemesis which is really my favourite ride makes it look like you've barely been to any parks at all. :)

Well even in the days when the only parks I'd visited were Drayton Manor, Alton Towers, American Adventure, and West Midlands Safari Park (If you can call that collection of fair rides a "theme park" :p ) I would still not have placed Nemesis at the top of my list.

I think it's a combination of personal taste and competition really. Nothing ever stays number one forever, and given how much more accessible parks are becoming outside of the UK these days people are bound to stumble upon new things they probably wouldn't have ridden 18 years ago.

That and that not everyone is bound to like the same thing. I think the majority would agree that Nemesis is a brilliant coaster, but it'll tick different boxes for different people. Just like for example how not everyone is bound to like a certain car. It may be regarded as one of the best things ever made, but it won't please everyone. Nothing can do that. If products could be designed to please everyone there'd be a lot of very wealthy designers and manufactures out there :p

There will always be some who disagree with the majority, and I think coupling that with the fact people are now visiting places they once wouldn't gives Nemesis a bit of much needed competition, and allows us to get a wider picture of what people like and are into. It lets us see a much wider range of coasters and rides getting the appreciation they deserve :)

Sam said:
It's become so fashionable recently to not put Nemesis #1. Don't shout me down, because this is just my theory and personal opinion. But I think a lot of it is because people want to show off what far-flung parks they've been to, and rare coasters they've ridden.

I do it myself. When people find out I'm an enthusiast and ask me what my favourite coaster is, I say X2 in California as saying Nemesis which is really my favourite ride makes it look like you've barely been to any parks at all. :)

Nope... I honestly prefer Blue Fire. Blue Fire just ticks all the right boxes for me, although Nemesis comes close. Not to mention I get the opportunity to ride Nemesis many times a year. Blue Fire is a little bit more special because I do rarely get to ride it. ;)

What Blue does for me that Nemesis doesn't
1. Blue Fire's final heartline roll is incredible.
2. Navex loves a Darkride Section
3. On ride Music
4. The unique Twisted horseshoe roll
5. Freedom educing restraints.

Both coasters offer something special... Personally Blue Fire appeals more to me :)

Fair enough. I do totally accept that people look for different things in coasters, and that Nemesis isn't a lot of people's number one. I still do think though that Nemmy is seriously underrated, and I think a lot of it is the familiarity factor. If you go on it every other weekend, you kinda forget how truly amazing it is. It only really struck me when I rode it with Jeremy from RCPhilosophy.

We can't ever know of course Lewis, but in a parallel universe where Blue Fire was at Alton, and Nemesis at Europa (a once or twice a year treat), I wonder what would be your favourite then. :)

1. Manta
2. Nemesis
3. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
4. Montu
5. Gwazi
6. Expedition Everest
7. Kumba
8. Air
9. PMBO
10. The Antelope

Going back to Ian's post that's a good detailed list you've made which I mostly agree with, although I really don't rate Mamba as a coaster.

As for my view on Nemesis I believe it is technically the best ride I've been on. However it’s not the ride I class as my favourite. I've always had a soft spot for Air.

As it stands here is my current list:
Nemesis
Air
Blue Fire
Thirteen
Space Mountain, Paris
The Swarm
Oblivion
Euro Sat
Winja's, Fear
Colorado Adventure

So like I said not too far off Ian's list, most of my weird choices he's already justified so that saves me making a long post ;)
However I think I should explain Thirteen which I'll openly admit it's not a brilliant ride. However it's interesting and different which I admire and I can honestly say I've had more fun ridding it than most other coasters.

Ian said:
5: Colossus

6: Nemesis
Say whaaa?

Sam said:

Bloody theme park hipsters. ;)

Pre-Mirabilandia list (off there today):

1. Nemesis
2. Montu
3. Tonnerre de Zeus
4. Batman la Fuga
5. Kumba
6. Expedition Ge Force
7. Blue Fire
8. Troy
9. Black Mamba
10. Expedition Everest

Oz'Iris failed to make my top ten, and itself probably nestles between 20-30.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Port Aventura adjusted top ten:

1 ) Balder
This coaster is simply amazing. I haven't been on a coaster before or since that rides anything like it. The airtime is unbelievable. Never before have I been so dependent on my lapbar. It also has head-choppers everywhere and pacing that never lets up until the brakes.

The feeling when I got off this coaster I would describe as the feeling I got when I'd first ridden Nemesis. My idea of how good a coaster can be had been redefined.

2 ) Expedition GeForce
For whatever reason, this is a coaster that can divide opinion but as far as I'm concerned, it's the best steel coaster I've been on. It has bouts powerful airtime and probably the best first drop in the world plus it's in a beautiful woodland setting.

Since they were built in 2001, only EGF and Bizarro have held the top spots on the Mitch Hawker steel poll which I think speaks volumes.

3 ) Shambhala
This is the coaster that Silverstar should have been. It has wonderful, sustained floaty airtime on every hill and a first drop that seems to go on forever. Somehow, it's relaxing and thrilling in equal measure which is a feat that only B&M could achieve.

4 ) Nemesis
I don't think that this requires an explanation.

5 ) Grand National
A brilliant classic wooden coaster in its own right but the racing aspect gives it another dimension of fun and interaction.

6 ) Dragon Khan
This is a coaster that I have always been amazed by ever since I saw a picture of it in a coaster book in my school library. When I actually came to ride it, it lived up to the expectation. It has every element you could want from a B&M sitdown with a real kick to its zero G Roll.

7 ) Dæmonen
This is a coaster that doesn't feature a lot in lists but I really like it. It's not particularly forceful or intense but it has quick direction changes, a twisty layout and a zero g roll that I prefer to Khan's.

8 ) The Ultimate
This is the beginning of the changeable part of my list. By rights, this coaster shouldn't be anywhere near a top ten but there is no thrill like wondering if the train can safely negotiate the next turn.

9 ) Furius Baco
I have ridden this coaster just once. I had a front row inside seat and it was fantastic. I understand that in other rows, it can be horrifically rough but I can only judge by the ride it offered on the day.

10) Air
This could be a number of coasters but today it was Air.

Re: Re: Your Top Ten Coasters

Post-Mirabilandia list (been there today):

1. Nemesis
2. Montu
3. Tonnerre de Zeus
4. Batman la Fuga
5. Kumba
6. Expedition Ge Force
7. Blue Fire
8. iSpeed
9. Katun
10. Black Mamba

Here's my list, haven't been on any new coasters since 2008 though with the exception of the Swarm and Saw so it might well change when I next go on some new coasters!

1. Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE) (Went on this before the retheme to Bizarro)
2. El Toro
3. X2
4. Storm Runner
5. Nemesis
6. Tatsu
7. Alpengeist
8. Kingda Ka
9. Hulk
10. Lightning Racer

Only got 1 go on both El Toro and X2 though due to a combination of massive queues and Six Flags operations being terrible so they could have gone either higher or lower depending on this.

well... I think I have finally come to a conclusion on my top 10! I think... This will likely change again in a matter of days! :p

1. Expedition Ge Force
2. Silver Star
3. Tonnerre De Zeus
4. Troy
5. Nemesis
6. Blue Fire
7. Oblivion
8. Black Mamba
9. OzIris
10. Space Mountain Mission 2

A fantastic little collection I must say!! <3

Going to do some serious contemplation of my top ten very soon indeed. After this summer, especially.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

#1 Kumba
#2 Oz'Iris (rode April 2012, pre wheel change)
#3 Nemesis
#4 Silver Star
#5 Wodan
#6 Montu
#7 Blue Fire
#8 The Swarm
#9 Space Mountain (WDW, FL)
#10 (OMG, hard!! Eerrrmmmm) Stealth

A few things to note:
* I hate flyers, as I find the prone position uncomfortable.
* Space Mountain made me laugh and squeal hysterically - it had to be in my top ten! Those cars are sexaaaay.
* Nemesis, while amazing, can't knock my baby Kumba &lt;3, and I found Oz'Iris to be much more thrilling. I understand the wheels have since been changed on Ozzy :(!
* Stealth, though short and sweet, makes me swear on the launch every time - such a rush :D.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

OK - now I am back home and have ridden a stash of new coasters, I have thought long and hard about my "Top 10". It's chopped and changed so much in the past few weeks... and in truth, there's nothing separating them. All of them are amazing rides in their own way, and I would happilly ride any of them right now.

1 -> Nemesis, Alton Towers
(the legacy of this ride given its age is something very special. It keeps up a storming pace all the way round and when it's warm it's a match for anyone, even seasoned riders)

2 -> Montu, Busch Gardens Africa
(massive and beautiful. The Batwing element is something else)

3 -> iSpeed, Mirabilandia
(given this some serious thought, but after it warmed up it was incredible - with crazy pacing and relentless twists. I now think Maverick could be the coaster to top Nemesis. That said, restraints don't help)

4 ->Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Astérix
(back to its absolute, mindblowing best. A beast of a wooden coaster)

5 -> Batman La Fuga, Parque Warner
(so intense - the back was insane. Incredible, relentless coaster and one that I will not forget in a hurry. Get me back to Madrid!)

6 -> Kumba, Busch Gardens Africa
(forceful and old-skool B&M. Absolutely brilliant the whole ride with a massive ROAR)

7 -> Wodan, Europa-Park
(yes, this is the best coaster at EP. It warmed up a hundred percent since it opened, and now offers a
brilliant ride, backed up with some of the best theming in Europe. Where did the airtime come from all over the place!? It might not be better track/train than Troy, but frankly with this setting, this theming and this landscaping - it's just the complete package. Only criticism is the duration)

8 -> Expedition Ge Force, Holiday Park
(the first drop is the best drop I have ever experienced. Marvellous)

9 -> Blue Fire, Europa-Park
(probably the coaster I hold dearest out of the UK. A dreamy ride backed up with the best inversion out there. Wodan ousted it as my top ride at EP but there's no denying this coaster is a marvel)

10 -> Katun, Mirabilandia
(fast, long, intense in the right places)

My top 10 changes quite a lot from year to year being in the fortunate position of traveling across the world as part of my employment. Having been to a few off the track locations such as South Africa my list has been influenced by some more rare finds.

1. Troy - Toverland : Just about the most fun I have ever had on a coaster with plenty of re-rides and a fantastic layout this coaster gave me the most fun day of my life and therefore sits at number 1.

2. Nemesis : Predictable yes.... but this was my first looping coaster and has never ever lost its magic perfect in almost every element only losing out to airtime (not its purpose) & length (only if I am being super critical)

3. Anaconda - Gold Reef City : The Giavanola serpent and a very rare coaster is a real monster when it comes to G forces, surroundings and layout. Only a lack of terrain and a soundtrack stop this from being above Nemesis it is that good. The double helix is exquisite and the whole ride just packed so much force. For a more in depth look see my Trip report here : http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/other-parks-and-attractions-trip-planning-and-reports/gold-reef-city-south-africa-report/

4. Millennium Force - Cedar Point : While I will admit Bizarro has a bit more on the layout and airtime front the size and quality of this coaster are really awesome. I remember being so excited to ride this more than any other and worried it would not live up to reputation but it was just epic.

5. Bizarro - Just brilliant start to finish need I say more.

6. Dragon Khan - The best multi looper out there for me and one that did not become tiresome (Olympia Looping a close second)

7. Tower Of Terror - Gold Reef City : The highest G forces I have ever experienced on a coaster the pull out from the vertical drop was insane and the ride lived up to its reputation. Genuine heart pounding even after several re-rides. Again see trip report : http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/other-parks-and-attractions-trip-planning-and-reports/gold-reef-city-south-africa-report/

8. Storm Runner - Hershey Park : For me the best all round launched coaster and I just love the flying snake dive. Closest feeling to flying aerial maneuvers in an aircraft.

9. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point : Lap bars , 420ft , 120mph need I say more.. (Wins over Kingda Ka)

10. X2 - Magic Mountain : Just a mental ride start to finish hard to put it here as there are so many great woodies and euro coasters that deserve the place as do a few nostalgic picks as well but I have to say it was something just a bit different. Hopefully one day its brother in Japan will take its place or another wild creation. For today though it makes the 10.

AstroDan said:
3 -> iSpeed, Mirabilandia
(given this some serious thought, but after it warmed up it was incredible - with crazy pacing and relentless twists. I now think Maverick could be the coaster to top Nemesis. That said, restraints don't help)

I knew you'd like it. Did you go front row?