• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

Personally:

1) Nemmy
2) Duelling Dragons
3) Hulk
4) Air
5) Rock'n'RollerCoaster
6) Space Mountain Mission 2
7) Th13teen
8) Kraken
9) The Swarm
10) Expedition Everest

Blivvy just doesnt make it, it never really intimidated me? :/

Ok so I've really only been to Thorpe Park and Alton Towers enough to make this list and the order changes frequently, but here goes:

1. Nemesis, Alton Towers
2. The Swarm, Thorpe Park
3. Rita, Alton Towers
4. Saw: The Ride, Thorpe Park
5. Oblivion, Alton Towers
6. Stealth, Thorpe Park
7. Air, Alton Towers
8. Colossus, Thorpe Park
9. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park
10. Th13teen, Alton Towers

Following August, I have readjusted my top 10 coasters after a trip to the USA. If you asked me to rank these next week, it may well alter, but right now it sits as follows:

1: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
Wild. Airtime is insane. It is simply an epic, epic rollercoaster which gets almost universal praise from all who ride it.

2: Maverick, Cedar Point
Awesome. The airtime, the twists, the launch, the crazy banked bits. This is one of the best coasters in the world.

3: Nemesis, Alton Towers
The legacy of this ride given its age is something very special. It keeps up a storming pace all the way round and when it's warm it's a match for anyone, even seasoned riders.

4: Skyrush, Hersheypark
The airtime on this coaster is almost too much. It makes you scream and shriek. It is like no other coaster experience. The lift hill alone is just madness. The first drop is incredible.

5: Montu, Busch Gardens Africa
Massive and beautiful. The Batwing element is something else. I do have concerns I have overrated this ride though, so will be watching it closely when I visit Orlando again in 2015.

6: iSpeed, Mirabilandia
Crazy pacing and relentless twists. The first 30 seconds are sensational.

7: Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Astérix
Back to its absolute, mindblowing best. A beast of a wooden coaster.

8: Kumba, Busch Gardens Africa
Forceful and old-skool B&M. Absolutely brilliant the whole ride with a massive ROAR.

9: Batman La Fuga, Parque Warner
So intense - the back was insane. Incredible, relentless coaster and one that I will not forget in a hurry. Get me back to Madrid! (this ride beats the clone at SFGA - it felt more intense).

10: Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
Best Intamin Accelerator I have been on. Amazing launch, similar to Kingda Ka, but with lap bar restraints and far better operations. Wow!

Well mine has changed a fair bit having not only tried new things, but re-riding what was already there. A couple have dropped out of the list recently, including a few of Thorpe's coasters. That's not to say I dislike them! On the contrary, there are very few rides out there I can honestly say I hate.

I won't write an essay on each of them, as I'd hope some are fairly obvious, and I've justified most of the others earlier in this topic. So here goes:

1) Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
2) Air - Alton Towers
3) The Smiler - Alton Towers
4) Winjas Fear - Phantasialand
5) Oz'Iris - Parc Asterix
6) Nemesis - Alton Towers
7) Space Mountain Mission II - Parc Disneyland
8) Euro Mir - Europa Park
9) Colorado Adventure - Phantasialand
10) Black Mamba - Phantasialand

Close contenders that miss out include Silver Star, Tonnerre de Zeus, and The Swarm :)

For a coaster to be in my top 10, it has to have at least one moment where something incredible happens. There's no room for a solid all-rounder here! The order is rather flexible, but based on my most recent rides this is what I've come up with.

1) El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2) Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
3) Ultimate, Lightwater Valley
4) Green Lantern, Six Flags Great Adventure
5) Nemesis, Alton Towers
6) Raptor, Cedar Point
7) Phoenix, Knoebels
8) iSpeed, Mirabilandia
9) Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Asterix
10) Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce

AstroDan said:
Following August, I have readjusted my top 10 coasters after a trip to the USA. If you asked me to rank these next week, it may well alter, but right now it sits as follows:

Wild. Airtime is insane. It is simply an epic, epic rollercoaster which gets almost universal praise from all who ride it.

2: Maverick, Cedar Point
Awesome. The airtime, the twists, the launch, the crazy banked bits. This is one of the best coasters in the world.

3: Nemesis, Alton Towers
The legacy of this ride given its age is something very special. It keeps up a storming pace all the way round and when it's warm it's a match for anyone, even seasoned riders.

4: Skyrush, Hersheypark
The airtime on this coaster is almost too much. It makes you scream and shriek. It is like no other coaster experience. The lift hill alone is just madness. The first drop is incredible.

5: Montu, Busch Gardens Africa
Massive and beautiful. The Batwing element is something else. I do have concerns I have overrated this ride though, so will be watching it closely when I visit Orlando again in 2015.

6: iSpeed, Mirabilandia
Crazy pacing and relentless twists. The first 30 seconds are sensational.

8: Kumba, Busch Gardens Africa
Forceful and old-skool B&M. Absolutely brilliant the whole ride with a massive ROAR.

9: Batman La Fuga, Parque Warner
So intense - the back was insane. Incredible, relentless coaster and one that I will not forget in a hurry. Get me back to Madrid! (this ride beats the clone at SFGA - it felt more intense).

Best Intamin Accelerator I have been on. Amazing launch, similar to Kingda Ka, but with lap bar restraints and far better operations. Wow!

I haven't thought about mine yet but it will be pretty similar. Out of interest where does Raptor sit?

No Raptor Astro? :(

John, I didn't realise you ranked Green Lantern so highly! Also, it's a pity I didn't get your "OK, better than Nemesis" quote on video whilst sat on Raptor's brake run :p

The trouble with statements like that is rides tend to start off relatively high in my rankings and gradually move down if I've not been on them for a while.

I also strongly suspect that Green Lantern wouldn't still be there if I rode it more often - it was just one of those rides where the expectations were so non-existent that any sort of positive opinion gets hugely inflated as a result. After the first day at SFGAd I'd have put Bizarro up there too, but it didn't seem quite as amazing on the repeat visit - which I'm largely placing down to the higher expectations 2nd time round.

I have just given it some thought and here is my current top 10 coasters

2) Maverick, Cedar Point
3) Skyrush, Hersheypark
4) Raptor, Cedar Point
5) Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
6) Nemesis, Alton Towers
7) Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
8) iSpeed, Mirabilandia
9) Batman La Fuga, Parque Warner
10) Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce

2) Maverick, Cedar Point
3) Raptor, Cedar Point
4) Nemesis, Alton Towers
5) Shambhala, PortAventura
6) Bizarro, Six Flags Great Adventure
7) Boulderdash, Lake Compounce
8) Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
9) Batman: The Ride, Six Flags Great Adventure
10) Dominator, Kings Dominion

Close call between Raptor and Nemesis, track and train it's a better ride.

Recently I have slightly adjusted my top 10:

2: Skyrush, Hersheypark

3: Maverick, Cedar Point

4: Nemesis, Alton Towers

5: iSpeed, Mirabilandia
Crazy pacing and relentless twists. The first 30 seconds are sensational

6: Montu, Busch Gardens Africa

8: Raptor, Cedar Point / Monster, Walygator Parc
Raptor and Monster represents a kick ass layout on an awesome ride model. Genuinely, this is a top, top class inverted coaster and classic from B&M. Intense or what!

9: Kumba, Busch Gardens Africa

Following a visit to PortAventura in late October 2013, I can confirm that Shambhala is nowhere near the top 10, in spite of being a fun ride. It is probably somewhere between 20 and 30

:)

1. Nemesis
2. Shambhala
3. Montu
4. Anubis
5. Kumba
6. Black Mamba
7. Dragon Khan
8. Kraken
9. Troy
10. The Swarm

I am amazed that I have a woodie in my top 10 but then again Troy was AMAZING! :)

Lottie. said:
1. Nemesis
2. Shambhala
3. Montu
4. Anubis
5. Kumba
6. Black Mamba
7. Dragon Khan
8. Kraken
9. Troy
10. The Swarm

I am amazed that I have a woodie in my top 10 but then again Troy was AMAZING! :)

I am pretty shocked with how high you rate Anubis. Although it is relitavely a good coaster, I am somewhat aghast you'd place it higher than the likes of Kumba or Troy.

AstroDan said:
Lottie. said:
1. Nemesis
2. Shambhala
3. Montu
4. Anubis
5. Kumba
6. Black Mamba
7. Dragon Khan
8. Kraken
9. Troy
10. The Swarm

I am pretty shocked with how high you rate Anubis. Although it is relitavely a good coaster, I am somewhat aghast you'd place it higher than the likes of Kumba or Troy.

I found Anubis to be one of the only Gerstlauers that I have ridden to be smooth and enjoyable. Kumba is a funny one in that I loved the ride (bearing in mind that this was well over 10 years ago) but I don't find B&M sit downs as enjoyable as the inverts hence why Montu and Nemesis are placed higher. And Troy is my number one woodie but compared to the other 8 rides in my top 10, it is just beaten by them. I am biased as a B&M fangirl so I will always place them highly against other rides but that's just me aha!

I would challenge you to ride half the Intamin's in the USA and still remain a B&M Fangirl.

;)

[tt]1. - Expedition GeForce
2. - Silver Star
3. - Tonnerre De Zeus
4. - Nemesis
5. - Troy
6. - Blue Fire
7. - Colorado Adventure
8. - Black Mamba
9. - Oblivion
10. - Oz Iris[/tt]

Without the Wood in there, Steel wise my #9 #10 Are;
Space Mountain -Mission 2 (9)
Stealth (10)

I've amended my list:

1. Nemesis
2. Montu
3. Shambhala
4. Hulk
5. Kraken
6. Kumba
7. Dragon Khan
8. Manta
9. Sheikra
10. Revenge of the Mummy

Probably need to ride more decent Intamin's!

Revised yet again.

1. Shambhala, PortAventura
Smooth, bags of airtime, several good photo opportunities, and great views from the top of the lift hill...what's not to love? Plus the front row is genuinely amazing. :D

2. Blue Fire, Europa-Park
There have been several launched coasters before, mostly made by Intamin. Inverting coasters are pretty common as well. The inverting launched coaster seems to be a concept that's only taken off since the installation of Maverick at Cedar Point in 2007 (and even then, Intamin had to change the layout at the last minute). Then Mack come along in 2009 with their first launched inverting coaster - Blue Fire. And my goodness, they've done a very good job of it. The last inversion was apparently a mistake, but it's an excellent mistake. The launch keeps on going, it's so smooth, and the trains? No other coaster train that I've been on comes close to Blue Fire's.

3. Nemesis, Alton Towers
It goes without saying that Nemmy is in a class of its own. The white monster in Forbidden Valley is genuinely one of the best coaster experiences I have ever had, with the front row at night being the pinnacle. And that roar. To quote George Takei... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4# ;)

4. Silver Star, Europa-Park
I do love Silvia, I really do. It was my first coaster at EP, and the first ride to genuinely leave me speechless after getting off it. (The second was Shambhala.) However, it was a bit too rough for my liking back in July, although I suspect that the heat may have had something to do with it. It's a brilliant ride, although they could do with turning the station audio up a bit.

5. Wodan, Europa-Park
The best woodie I've ever been on. Completely crazy, it doesn't stop until the end, and the interaction with Blue Fire and Atlantica SuperSplash adds to the ride as well. Plus the trains are excellent.

6. Oblivion, Alton Towers
For a while, this ride was my favourite at Towers, but it's now the second. That doesn't mean it's not a good ride - far from it! It may be a one-trick pony, but it performs that one trick so well every single time. And it looks brilliant now it's been repainted.

7. EuroSat, Europa-Park
I used to dislike this coaster because of the roughness, but that's one of the reasons why I like it now. It's mad and out of control, and that's why I think it's worthy of being in my top 10. Just remember to brace right at the end. :p

8. Euro-Mir, Europa-Park
Slightly rough, and the spinning around the towers at height can feel a bit scary, but it's still a solid coaster. Oh, and there's the lift hill music as well. :D

9. The Smiler, Alton Towers
Now, I can probably guess what you're thinking. This in my top 10? Well, for starters, I don't think it's as rough as people make it out to be. It's very good to watch, and the views of the Towers themselves from the tops of the lift hills are nice, albeit brief. Also, when I was on it, I found it to be so insane that after the first lift hill, I only had chance to breathe properly before the vertical lift and on the brake run before the station. It's a bit painful coming off the 12th inversion, but I'm happy to let that slide, provided that Towers do something about it over the closed season.

10. Air, Alton Towers
Air offers a different experience. It's not supposed to be an out-and-out thrill coaster - it's a lot more elegant and smooth than you'd expect it to be. And at night, it's truly astounding.

5 coasters from EP, 4 from Towers and one from PA. I really need to get to the States... :p