• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

I think the general rule is that rough with an OTSR is painful, while rough with lap bars is acceptable.

Now, I personally find Baco to be the worst abomination ever created by man. But if someone likes it, let 'em like it. It's no different to those of us who love The Ultimate. ;)

Recently I have slightly adjusted my top 10:

1: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
Wild. Airtime is insane. It is simply an epic, epic rollercoaster which gets almost universal praise from all who ride it.

2: Skyrush, Hersheypark
The airtime on this coaster is almost too much. It makes you scream and shriek. It is like no other coaster experience. The lift hill alone is just madness. The first drop is incredible.

3: Maverick, Cedar Point
Awesome. The airtime, the twists, the launch, the crazy banked bits. This is one of the best coasters in the world.

4: Nemesis, Alton Towers
The legacy of this ride given its age is something very special. It keeps up a storming pace all the way round and when it's warm it's a match for anyone, even seasoned riders.

5: iSpeed, Mirabilandia
Crazy pacing and relentless twists. The first 30 seconds are sensational

6: Montu, Busch Gardens Africa
Massive and beautiful. The Batwing element is something else. I do have concerns I have overrated this ride though, so will be watching it closely when I visit Orlando again in 2015.

7: Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Astérix
Back to its absolute, mindblowing best. A beast of a wooden coaster.

8: Raptor, Cedar Point / Monster, Walygator Parc
Raptor and Monster represents a kick ass layout on an awesome ride model. Genuinely, this is a top, top class inverted coaster and classic from B&M. Intense or what!

9: Kumba, Busch Gardens Africa
Forceful and old-skool B&M. Absolutely brilliant the whole ride with a massive ROAR.

10: Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
Best Intamin Accelerator I have been on. Amazing launch, similar to Kingda Ka, but with lap bar restraints and far better operations. Wow!

Following a visit to PortAventura in late October 2013, I can confirm that Shambhala is nowhere near the top 10, in spite of being a fun ride. It is probably somewhere between 20 and 30.

I thought Raptor was probably the worst B&M Invert I've been on...

Yes, even worse than Silver Bullet, which bless it's heart does get an unfair share of abuse...

Wow...

I've done 14 B&M Inverts and Raptor/Monster is pretty much top of the pile!

Talon, Dragon Challenge, Inferno, Black Mamba, Batman, Katun, Oz'Iris, Alpengeist and Great Bear all rank lower for me!

Raptor had such ferocity and intensity compared to the likes of bland Talon or dire Great Bear!

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with Dan, Raptor is probably my favourite B&M invert. Nemesis has dropped slightly in my rankings since August due to being so much shorter (in length, not height) than other top coasters.

I've made some other slight changes since I last posted too;

1) El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2) Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
3) Ultimate, Lightwater Valley
4) Green Lantern, Six Flags Great Adventure
5) Raptor, Cedar Point
6) Nemesis, Alton Towers
7) Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Asterix
8) Bizarro, SFGAd (yep, that's the B&M, Intamin's Bizarro is outside my top 20)
9) Phoenix, Knoebels
10) Skyrush, Hersheypark

I also visited PortAventura in October, but none of their coasters made my top 20.

AstroDan said:
Wow...

I've done 14 B&M Inverts and Raptor/Monster is pretty much top of the pile!

Talon, Dragon Challenge, Inferno, Black Mamba, Batman, Katun, Oz'Iris, Alpengeist and Great Bear all rank lower for me!

Raptor had such ferocity and intensity compared to the likes of bland Talon or dire Great Bear!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Great Bear is definitely dire, but I did Raptor shortly afterwards and came off it with a similar feeling of "what the hell happened?"...

I feel like most American B&Ms are just poor (in relation to OTHER B&Ms, they are still often the best ride on park)... It's certainly a trend that Katun surprisingly bucks quite outrageously...

Still, at least it isn't Flight Deck...

Katun is a good B&M Inverted, but I felt it was more about the 'speed' than actual intensity, so to speak. As you said though, at least it isn't X, Y or Z - and the bottom line is the vast majority of B&M coasters, no matter how small, are at least half decent.

Not sure that would extend to Hydra, though.

:p

1) Nemmy (front row in the dark <3)
2) Stealth
3) Smiler (front row in the dark)
4) Oblivion
5) Nemmy Inferior
6) SAW - The Ride
7) The Swarm
8) TH13TEEN
9) Colossus
10) Air

jackandylan123 said:
2) Stealth
4) Oblivion
5) Nemmy Inferior
6) SAW - The Ride
7) The Swarm
8) TH13TEEN
9) Colossus
10) Air

You know there are different theme parks in the world, right?

Nick said:
jackandylan123 said:
2) Stealth
4) Oblivion
5) Nemmy Inferior
6) SAW - The Ride
7) The Swarm
8) TH13TEEN
9) Colossus
10) Air

You know there are different theme parks in the world, right?

yes, I just haven't visited ;) planning to get to somewhere like PA next year as well as doing BPB for the first time, so that should change things :D

EDIT: If you want my wish list then:

1) Maverick
2) Outlaw Run
3) Tatsu
4) El Toro
5) Expedition GeForce
6) ISpeed
7) Shambhala
8) Goliath (new for 2014, otherwise it would leave you working that out ;))
9) Katun
10) Intimidator 305

AstroDan said:
Katun is a good B&M Inverted, but I felt it was more about the 'speed' than actual intensity, so to speak. As you said though, at least it isn't X, Y or Z - and the bottom line is the vast majority of B&M coasters, no matter how small, are at least half decent.

Katun's first drop is easily the best one on any B&M Invert though...

Dat kick <3

Benzin said:
AstroDan said:

Katun's first drop is easily the best one on any B&M Invert though...

OzIris? Or how about Banshee, when it opens of course.

It's all about front row on Alpengeist's epic first drop! Back row on Oz'Iris is also pretty awesome.

Alpengeist and OzIris both have great first drops and are very good rides overall, but there are better B&M inverts out there.

My top 10 coasters have changed somewhat since I last posted in this topic, and even since my Mitch Hawker submission!

1. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
This is just a wow coaster. The airtime is insane! If I ever ride a better coaster than this then my god I'll be a happy chappy!

2. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
I rode this for the first time just over a week ago and it's another coaster that fits into the wow category. The first drop is incredible and it's followed by some awesome airtime.

3. Apollo's Charriot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
My favourite B&M Mega Coaster. A great first drop, brilliant airtime, a forceful turn and some nice transitions. Perfect!

4. Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
Crazy crazy coaster! The intensity in unreal. There's some great pops of airtime and the transitions are mental. If only it has lap bars. However if this ever gets rough, which it could, it will be horrendous!

5. Shambhala, PortAventura
A coaster full of lots of lovely airtime! First drop is great to. Brilliant fun to ride!

6. Alpengiest, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
As I've said many a time I'm a sucker for a big B&M Invert, and this is the biggest of the lot. The first drop is amazing and I just love what follows. A very intense cobra roll on this too.

7. Oz'Iris, Parc Asterix
B&M back to their very best. Delighted to hear that it was running well last week too. I rode on opening weekend as it had everything you could want from an invert. An immense first drop (especially on the back row), insensity and some more floaty sensations. Brilliant!

8. Nemesis, Alton Towers
You cannot deny that Nemesis is a top class coaster. It delivers time and time again. When running well it is definitely one of the best in the world.

9. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
Another B&M Invert. I have to admit my memories of this coaster are not as clear as I'd like them to be but it is another beast. Looking forward to riding again next year and seeing how it compares to the memories I do have.

10. Blue Fire, Europa Park
In my Mitch Hawker I had Nitro ranked behind Montu. However having ridden Blue Fire again last week it has to be in my top 10. It's just so much fun to ride and makes you smile and laugh regardless of how you are feeling.

I think I'm pretty happy with that top 10. All being well I shall be visiting Liseberg later this year which will no doubt throw two more spanners into the works (Helix and Balder).

This changed this weekend, due to The Smiler running well......

1. Nemesis, Alton Towers
Need I explain, really?

2. Wild Mouse, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Being an adrenaline junkie, I like feeling like I'm going to die. Quickly. After a flight across BPB.

3. The Smiler, Alton Towers
Has been quite smooth recently, so has gained a place. I love the mental layout.

4. Oblivion, Alton Towers
Recently relegated, the world's first vertical drop rollercoaster sits in 4th, for it is good but incredibly short. So Richard Hammond basically.

5. Revolution, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Really enjoy this ride. The queue? Enjoyed slightly less so.

6. Grand National, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Who doesn't love a good racing woodie? More fun with people you know on t'other train.

7. Rita, Alton Towers
Speeeeeeeeeeeed, with the slight smell of lingering Intamin death. Car + Rollercoaster = Me happy :)

8. Runaway Mine Train, Alton Towers
#ChooChoo, the Original Queen Of Speed enters the list at number 8 because who doesn't like Roland's clearance test?

9. Dragon's Fury, Chessington World Of Adventures
Wobbly lift ahoy! I enjoy Maurer Sohne spinners like this.......

10. Sonic Spinball, Alton Towers
......and this :)

And before you ask, no there is no mistake. No Thorpe Park rides are allowed here. And no, I do not have the money to go to Europe. Yet. So don't tell me I should.

Mine since the Junket:

1. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
2. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa)
3. Shambhala (PortAventura)
4. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
5. Wodan (Europa Park)
6. Hulk (Universal's Islands of Adventure)
7. Blue Fire (Europa Park)
8. Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando)
9. Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa)
10. Dragon Khan (PortAventura)

Can't wait until Liseberg and possibly California parks later this year!

A slight alteration from my present Top 10 and submission from 2013's Mitch Hawker:

Manta - SeaWorld Orlando
Nemesis - Alton Towers
Blue Fire - Europa Park
Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa
The Smiler - Alton Towers
Expedition Everest - Disney Animal Kingdom
Wodan Timburcoaster - Europa Park
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios
Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa
Kraken - SeaWorld Orlando

1. Manta - SeaWorld Orlando
2. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa