• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

1) El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2) Maverick, Cedar Point
3) Skyrush, Hersheypark
4) Eejanaika, Fuji-Q
5) Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
6) Raptor, Cedar Point
7) Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City
8) Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
9) Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
10) Afterburn, Carowinds

Also, worth an honorable mention;
The Matterhorn Bobsleds, so much fun and long.
Karnan because it's just so weird, half trick track half Skyrush.
X2, it's like a mini Eejanaika.

1. Taron, Phantasialand
2. Wodan, Europa Park
3. Shambhala, PortAventura
4. Helix, Liseberg
5. Montu, Busch Gardens Africa
6. Manta, SeaWorld Orlando
7. Expedition Everest, Disney's Animal Kingdom
8. Icon, BPB
9. Blue Fire, Europa Park
10. The Smiler, Alton Towers
11. Big Thunder Mountain, DLP
12. Megafobia, Oakwood
13. Cú Chulainn, Tayto Park
14. Wild Mouse, Defunct (Formerly BPB)
15. Olympia Looping
16. Kumba, Busch Gardens Africa
17. Incredible Hulk, IoA
18. The Ultimate, Lightwater Valley
19. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
20. Revenge of the Mummy, Universal Studios Orlando

Last edited:
A bit of an update to my top ten:

1. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
3. Helix, Liseberg
4. Apollo's Charriot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
5. Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
6. Wodan, Europa-Park
7. Taron, Phantasialand
8. Shambhala, PortAventura
9. Alpengiest, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
10. Oz'Iris, Parc Asterix

Taron comes in at number seven which forces Nemesis out. Of the coasters I re-rode in Florida last year it would be Kumba and Montu that come closest to making their way into my top ten.

:)

Having just come pack from a trip to the UAE, Hong Kong and Japan (a trip report will be coming soon), I've had to update my top ten quite extensively:

1) Eejanaika (Fuji-Q Highland) - my biggest regret from my holiday to California in 2004 was missing out on riding X at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I feel I've redeemed that mistake somewhat by going on my first 4D coaster a few days ago. Eejanaika is simply incredible, and unlike any coaster I've ever experienced. It's very intense, and that first drop is sensational.

2) Formula Rossa (Ferrari World) - I'll admit, I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. The launch is what makes it, and it goes on for so long!

3) Dodonpa (Fuji-Q Highland) - another launch coaster, one that's so fast that by the time you realise you're moving, you're already halfway down the track. It was my first coaster at Fuji-Q, and one I'll never forget.

4) Wodan (Europa-Park) - I know quite a few people that are surprised I rate it so highly. But after riding it past midnight in 2014 is one of my favourite coaster experiences.

5) Flying Aces (Ferrari World) - you actually get airtime going over the lift hill if you're sitting on the back row. It's an awful lot of fun!

6) Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando) - this one is so high for nostalgic reasons. I'm sure that it'll drop a few places when I come to re-ride it. But this was my first real 'big' coaster, and it always left an impression on me.

7) Takabisha (Fuji-Q Highland) - my highest rated Gerstlauer. It's constantly interesting from start to finish.

8) Troy (Toverland) - seriously, who doesn't love this?

9) Hair Raiser (Ocean Park) - after giving it some thought, I've decided this deserves a place on my top ten. It's right next to the sea, so you get some amazing views.

10) Silver Star (Europa-Park)

Last edited:
Hair Raiser? Really? Better than rides like Nemesis?

Otherwise, certainly looks like a trip to the Far East is in order.

Just got back from Florida so my list has changed a bit.

1) Shambhala - Port Aventura
2) Taron - Phantasialand
3) Nemesis - Alton Towers
4) Mako - Sea World Orlando
5) Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa
6) Black Mamba - Phantasialand
7) The Swarm - Thorpe Park
8) The Hulk - Universal IOA
9) Sheikra - Busch Gardens Tampa
10) The Smiler - Alton Towers

84 Credits

Been nearly 4 years since I updated this, so it has changed quite a bit - top 3 aside. It's really hard to break it down to 10 and if I tried to do it again I'd probably come up with a different order, and there were some I really wanted to include but just couldn't fit in. I'm gonna go with;

1. El Toro (SFGAdv)
2. Maverick (Cedar Point)
3. Skyrush (Hershey Park)
4. Outlaw Run (Silver Dollar City)
5. Twisted Colossus (SFMM)
6. Formula Rossa (Ferrari World)
7. iSpeed (Miribilandia)
8. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
9. Raptor (Cedar Point)
10. X2 (SFMM)

Honourable mentions also to Helix, Fury 325 and Boulder Dash, all of which could easily slot in.

Here is my updated Top 10. Last time I forgot to include Iron Rattler which just beats Outlaw Run for me

1) El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2) Maverick, Cedar Point
3) Skyrush, Hersheypark
4) Iron Rattler, Six Flags Fiesta Texas
5) Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City
6) Formula Rossa, Ferrari World
7) Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
8) Eejanaika, Fuji-Q
9) Raptor, Cedar Point
10) Twisted Colossus, Six Flags Magic Mountain

Honourable mentions to Boulder Dash, Montu, Wildfire, X2, EGF, Tatsu, Griffon, iSpeed, Helix & Fury 325

Reactions: Rob
A more up to date list as a few opinions of mine have changed since I last top 10 and visiting Portaventura last week for the first time has seen new additions.

1) Helix
2) Wodan
3) Nemesis
4) Shambhala
5) Troy
6) Dragon Khan
7) Joris en de Draak (George and the Dragon)
8) Red Force
9) Baron 1898
10) Balder

Just missing out on the list are Black Mamba and Olympia Looping. Shambhala the first ride didn't do much for me however on re-rides I found it made me feel as if I was flying, with buckets on air time, it wasn't a forceful ride but it had a very magical flying feel to it. Dragon Khan had sections that reminded me of Nemesis with some sharp inversions particularly the zero G roll, a long and varied layout this was a superb coaster.

Now to Red Force I didn't really know where to put this as loved the ride but it is very short, the launch although not as sharp or as quick
acceleration as the older Intamin hydrolic launches like Stealth and Baco once it gets up to speed it is mean! I can't even begin imagine how TTD or KK feel as Red Force felt crazy quick at the end of the launch with a bit of a rattle (to be fair it could of just been me). The lap bars and seats are some of the best (if not the best) I hve been on. We set second from front row and the front row get given goggles to wear on the ride, funny thing is where all my height is in my long body I could see over the front row seat my eyes watered loads which was quite funny as I was wiping away the tears from my eyes to try to get a view at the top!

Last edited:
Kingda Ka I found poorer than TTD because it rattles and the restraints aren't as good.

:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will be interested to hear your opinion of it Dan once you do ride it especially having the different type of launch, although your probably tell me it's the poor mans version of both :p I haven't been on taron yet but the restraints are some of the best I have ridden up along with Macks launch/mega trains.

Updated following my trip to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Japan!

1: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
Wild. Airtime is insane. It is simply an epic, epic rollercoaster which gets almost universal praise from all who ride it.

2: Skyrush, Hersheypark
The airtime on this coaster is almost too much. It makes you scream and shriek. It is like no other coaster experience. The lift hill alone is just madness. The first drop is incredible.

3: Maverick, Cedar Point
Awesome. The airtime, the twists, the launch, the crazy banked bits. This is one of the best coasters in the world.

4: Raptor, Cedar Point / Monster, Walygator Parc
Raptor and Monster represents a kick ass layout on an awesome ride model. Genuinely, this is a top, top class inverted coaster and classic from B&M. Intense or what!

5. Eejanaika, Fuji-Q Highland
This ride is actually quite vicious. But it's like nothing else I have done. I certainly couldn't ride again in quick succession but this is a thrill and intensity like no other ride.

6: iSpeed, Mirabilandia
Crazy pacing and relentless twists. The first 30 seconds are sensational

7. Schwur des Karnan, Hansa-Park
This is a rarely found in Europe "Balls to the wall" type coaster experience. If the stress of the indoor drop doesn't get you, the ridiculous layout will. I love this so much.

8: Fury325, Carowinds
In the evening, with the darkness falling, this is a beast of a coaster offering speed, airtime and comfort in one. Wow!

9: Helix, Lisberg
Wonderful coaster. There isn't much else to say about it. Especially at night on row 1.

10: The Smiler, Alton Towers
Sorry. But I bloody well love it. Gerstlauer make some crazy coasters and this is one of them.

Special Mentions that may well have made my Top 10 if I re-did it again:
Nemesis, Top Thrill Dragster, Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom), Wodan

I am looking forward to re-riding Helix, El Toro, Maverick, Skyrush and iSpeed again in the next few years to see if they will maintain their ride quality!

Last edited:
Some of these are very close to one another and could change, but here goes:
1) Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
2) Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa)
3) SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa)
4) The Swarm (Thorpe Park)
5) Nemesis (Alton Towers)
6) The Smiler (Alton Towers)
7) The Incredible Hulk (re-tracked) (Islands of Adventure)
8) Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando)
9) Megafobia (Oakwood)
10) Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa)

1) Olympia Looping (Travelling)
2) Nemesis (Alton Towers)
3) Megafobia (Oakwood)
4) Wild Mouse (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
5) Ultimate (Lightwater Valley)
6) Big One (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
7) The Swarm (Thorpe Park)
8) The Smiler (Alton Towers)
9) Saw: The Ride (Thorpe Park)
10) Grand National (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)

I only record my top 5 as having 10 would move around too much. Please bare in mind I am no where near as well travelled as a lot of people on this forum.

1. Helix (Liseberg)
  2. Wodan (Europa-Park)
  3. Taron (Phantasialand)
  4. Black Mamba (Phantasialand)
  5. Nemesis (Alton Towers)

I only record my top 5 as having 10 would move around too much. Please bare in mind I am no where near as well travelled as a lot of people on this forum.

1. Helix (Liseberg)
  2. Wodan (Europa-Park)
  3. Taron (Phantasialand)

You get a partial hug, why you ask? Well, because Taron is my number 1 and Wodan my number 2. It's acceptable Tom that they both feature. You of all people know that unless you conform you will never be one of us, them, those, that, a factor of, connected to, malleable with, independent of...... SKYNET!!!!!!!

1. Helix (Liseberg)
  2. Wodan (Europa-Park)
  3. Taron (Phantasialand)
@Burbs, if you have more than 39 credits, then you're more well travelled than me!

Updated list after a trip to Europa Park

1) Shambhala - Port Aventura
2) Taron - Phantasialand
3) Nemesis - Alton Towers
4) Wodan - Europa Park
5) Mako - Sea World Orlando
6) Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa
7) Blue Fire - Europa Park
8) Black Mamba - Phantasialand
9) Silver Star - Europa Park
10) The Hulk - Universal IOA

108 Credits

That’s interesting. I’m only recently back from Europa (totally down to this forum btw; I hope you guys are on commission) but nothing there even touches my top 10.

On a whole it’s an awesome place, it really is, but for me at least, nothing stands out as ‘awesome.’