• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

My current combined top ten is;

1- Nemesis (AT)
2- Icon (BPB)
3- Wicker Man (AT)
4- Thirteen (AT)
5- Oblivion (AT)
6- Revolution (BPB)
7- Rage (AA)
8- Cobra (P'tn's)
9- Millennium (FA)
10- Runaway Mine Train (AT)

That will probably look very different after my Thorpe trip on Saturday, and likewise if I finally get on Smiler and Spinball at Towers this year. Will be interesting to see where all those rank. :)

To be honest, I can’t disagree with any of this!

I won’t deny that Icon is not an overly intense coaster in terms of positive g-forces, which absolutely won’t be for everyone, but I think it’s thrilling enough, myself. It provides awesome airtime, some really good fun twists and turns, phenomenally comfortable restraints, a wonderfully smooth ride experience, and on the whole, I just love it to bits and think it provides a wonderfully smooth ride experience!

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your top coaster (if it’s not Icon, that is)?

My top coaster is Nemesis, which of course definitely has some forcefulness to it! Swarm is number 2 for me, with Icon in 3rd. But I’ve also got The Big One (7th) in there which I love for it’s epic feel, long ride time, and most of all the spectacular view from the top of the lift hill and Storm Chaser (6th) which for me is a superb family coaster with outstanding theming. For me it’s all about the overall package of what a coaster offers, not necessarily comparing directly it against other similar rides but how much I enjoy the experience it offers with fun being a big factor.

So currently my top 10 is like this…

1) Nemesis
2) The Swarm
3) Icon
4) Wicker Man
5) Nemesis Inferno
6) Storm Chaser
7) The Big One
8) Oblivion
9) Stealth
10) Galactica/Air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I suppose blue fire might've had a level of intensity if it didn't lose all its speed immediately after the launch.

Great inversion at the very end though.

I wouldn’t put blue fire in my top 10 but it hardly loses all its speed after the launch. The loop has hang-tine for sure and it’s not the airtimiest ride in the world but it keeps it’s pace.

If anything I would say it does what Matt wants out of a coaster, I just don’t agree that icon does anything at all 😂

I guess I’ll see for myself in 9 days’ time! (Provided it’s not shut, of course…)

My current combined top ten is;

1- Nemesis (AT)
2- Icon (BPB)
3- Wicker Man (AT)
4- Thirteen (AT)
5- Oblivion (AT)
6- Revolution (BPB)
7- Rage (AA)
8- Cobra (P'tn's)
9- Millennium (FA)
10- Runaway Mine Train (AT)

That will probably look very different after my Thorpe trip on Saturday, and likewise if I finally get on Smiler and Spinball at Towers this year. Will be interesting to see where all those rank. :)
I’ll be surprised if Spinball gets in your top ten 😂it’s rough as old nails

Have you done Rita yet @Skyscraper? I remember you saying at one time you hadn’t done that, but I wasn’t sure whether that had changed.

If you do Stealth at Thorpe next week, I certainly think you’d have no issue with Rita. For me at least, I find Rita smoother and having a less forceful launch than Stealth (if it’s the launch that’s scaring you).

Have you done Rita yet @Skyscraper? I remember you saying at one time you hadn’t done that, but I wasn’t sure whether that had changed.

If you do Stealth at Thorpe next week, I certainly think you’d have no issue with Rita. For me at least, I find Rita smoother and having a less forceful launch than Stealth (if it’s the launch that’s scaring you).
No, I have not done Rita yet, and yes it is mainly the launch that I'm nervous about. However with Rita it's also the turns and sudden directional changes that worry me. That's why I'm thinking about giving Stealth a go, because it's a different layout. If I sit up straight, keep my head back and brace, I'll be fine. I'll make a final decision on the day though.

I’ll be surprised if Spinball gets in your top ten 😂it’s rough as old nails
I'm aware that Spinball is rough, but I rode Spinning Racer last year and thought it was pretty good. Spinball looks like it has a better layout though.

No, I have not done Rita yet, and yes it is mainly the launch that I'm nervous about. However with Rita it's also the turns and sudden directional changes that worry me. That's why I'm thinking about giving Stealth a go, because it's a different layout. If I sit up straight, keep my head back and brace, I'll be fine. I'll make a final decision on the day though.
If you can do Stealth, then you’ll have no issue with Rita launch-wise. I think the launch on Rita is noticeably less forceful than the launch on Stealth.

In terms of directional changes; I don’t personally think Rita’s turns are as sudden as they look. No transition on Rita is whippier or more sudden than anything on Nemesis, in my view, and you’ve ridden that (seemingly with no issues, seeing as it’s your #1!).

It is of course up to you, though; there’s never any pressure to do a ride if you don’t feel up to it! Certainly not from me, anyway.

If you can do Stealth, then you’ll have no issue with Rita launch-wise. I think the launch on Rita is noticeably less forceful than the launch on Stealth.

In terms of directional changes; I don’t personally think Rita’s turns are as sudden as they look, personally. No transition on Rita is whippier or more sudden than anything on Nemesis, in my view, and you’ve ridden that (seemingly with no issues, seeing as it’s your #1!).

It is of course up to you, though; there’s never any pressure to do a ride if you don’t feel up to it! Certainly not from me, anyway.
If I do Stealth and like it, I'll definitely consider doing Rita next time I'm at Towers.

I'm aware that Spinball is rough, but I rode Spinning Racer last year and thought it was pretty good. Spinball looks like it has a better layout though.

I don’t think Rita even has any sudden directional changes to be honest, once you launch it’s pretty much just a figure 8 layout. My wife is nervous on coasters and she was fine with Rita, I think the kick of the launch took her by surprise as it does speed off. As I’m sure people have already told you just keep your head back against the headrest and you’ll be absolutely fine. It’s a fairly short coaster in terms of the length of the experience, it’s not as if you are slowly ascending a very big lift hill, you just sit there and blast off down the track and before you know it you are slowing down on the brake run. It’s a good fun coaster and the layout is quite tame, it’s just a speedy start.

4 - Salvation - 6flags MM This is the smooth fast style of Woodie AT should be looking at. And fire effects on a WOODEN coaster? Yes please.

Just thought I'd look back at what I've ever posted on here to see if it was still relevant to my current thoughts, and found this nugget from 2012. So close with the style, manufacture and theme, I should be on commission!

Just a shame they didn't go for a full size one rather than the lacklustre little one we've ended up eith. In fact, a straight up clone would have been a vast improvement over what we've got. I wonder if could have been made to fit?

The rest of my top 10 is pretty out of date, I'll have a think...

Just thought I'd look back at what I've ever posted on here to see if it was still relevant to my current thoughts, and found this nugget from 2012. So close with the style, manufacture and theme, I should be on commission!

Just a shame they couldn't go for a full size one rather than the lacklustre little one we've ended up with. In fact, a straight up clone would have been a vast improvement over what we've got. I wonder if could have been made to fit?

The rest of my top 10 is pretty out of date, I'll have a think...
Fixed it for you. 😉
It certainly could've been bigger... If it wasn't for the planning restrictions. Personally I think what we got is a good, solid ride, made better with the fantastic theming and effects.

Fixed it for you. 😉
It certainly could've been bigger... If it wasn't for the planning restrictions. Personally I think what we got is a good, solid ride, made better with the fantastic theming and effects.

Don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that was the best they could possibly do. Their planning restrictions don't stipulate any particular level of mediocrity, they choose that all by themselves!

Well, I guess I should stick in my two cents.

1. Untamed (Walibi Holland)
2. Wodan (Europa)
3. Helix (Liseberg)
4. Kärnan (Hansa)
5. Tonnere De Zeus (Asterix - Pre Refurb)
6. Taron (Phantasialand)
7. Monster (Walygator)
8. Nemesis
9. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
10. OsIris (Asterix)

I would say they generally do vary slightly, but it is currently always these 10 coasters, with the top 4 remaining the same. I’ve based this list trying to look objectively just at the coasters themselves, otherwise the likes of Taron may rank differently!

As I expect changes this summer, here is my current top 10

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Zadra - Energylandia
3 Baldur - Liseberg
4 Helix - Liseberg
5 Maverick - Cedar Point
6 Taron - Phantasialand
7 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
8 Hyperion - Energylandia
9 Untamed - Walibi Holland
10 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point

Having visited Europa, I now have an updated list… feast your eyes upon my updated top 30 (new additions in bold):
  1. Silver Star - Europa Park (10/10)
  2. Mako - SeaWorld Orlando (10/10)
  3. Wodan Timbur Coaster - Europa Park (10/10)
  4. Icon - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (10/10)
  5. Wicker Man - Alton Towers (10/10)
  6. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee (9/10)
  7. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  8. SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  9. Oblivion - Alton Towers (9/10)
  10. Blue Fire - Europa Park (9/10)
  11. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park (9/10)
  12. Nemesis - Alton Towers (9/10)
  13. The Swarm - Thorpe Park (9/10)
  14. Kraken - SeaWorld Orlando (8/10)
  15. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  16. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  17. Rita - Alton Towers (8/10)
  18. Incredible Hulk - Islands of Adventure (8/10)
  19. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa (8/10)
  20. Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa (8/10)
  21. Cancan Coaster - Europa Park (8/10)
  22. Thirteen - Alton Towers (8/10)
  23. Rock’n’Rollercoaster - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  24. Slinky Dog Dash - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  25. Megafobia - Oakwood (7/10)
  26. Arthur - Europa Park (7/10)
  27. Pegasus - Europa Park (7/10)
  28. Avalanche - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (7/10)
  29. Storm Chaser - Paultons Park (7/10)
  30. Flight of the Pterosaur - Paultons Park (7/10)

After visiting Southport Pleasureland last weekend, here is my current top 10;

1 - Nemesis
2 - Kumba
3 - California Screamin
4 - Hulk
5 - Tonnere De Zeus
6 - Smiler
7 - Montu
8 - Space Mountain (Orlando)
9 - Stealth
10 - Wicker Man

Quite a variety really, and Southport had no relevance. And I'm basing the majority of these riding drunk so vague rankings really.