• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

As I expect changes this summer, here is my current top 10

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Zadra - Energylandia
3 Baldur - Liseberg
4 Helix - Liseberg
5 Maverick - Cedar Point
6 Taron - Phantasialand
7 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
8 Hyperion - Energylandia
9 Untamed - Walibi Holland
10 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
Surprisingly After Texas and a bunch of middle America parks only one new addition to the top 10. Maybe if Wonder Woman was open that would've changed things

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 The Voyage - Holiday World
3 Zadra - Energylandia
4 Baldur - Liseberg
5 Helix - Liseberg
6 Maverick - Cedar Point
7 Taron - Phantasialand
8 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
9 Hyperion - Energylandia
10 Untamed - Walibi Holland

So The Voyage goes into the top 10, any thoughts it could be a Vengeance killer ended 3 days later with a front row ride on that. Sadly Top Thrill Dragster begin down for the year meant it couldn't respond.

I haven't ridden enough coasters to be able to compile a list and it would change with my mood anyway. But riding Black Mamba for the first time a few weeks ago, I really was toying with whether a prefer it to Nemesis or not. My son, who thinks Nemesis is the best he's ever ridden, got straight off BM, declared it wasn't as good and didn't bother doing it again. He frequently kept running back round the queue lines of FLY and Taron like he does the end of the day with Nemesis however.

But stood in the queue line, I just adored the theming, the setting and the dark underground station thing they have going on with it. On all rows the pull up into the loop after the first drop has some great sustained intensity. It's also longer and although the last few bits of it can be considered filler material, it was still pulling some g's around everyone corner, particularly at the back and with some great leg chopper with the terrain at the front as it's so close to the ground and surrounding embankments.

Nemesis let's up less, but I suppose it pays the price with the shorter ride length. BM's inversions are more new style smooth transitions rather than the enjoyable snap overs you get on Nemesis. I would prefer the terrain of Nemesis but with the pit overgrown full of weeds and red water now long gone, I'm not so sure as BM is so well themed and uses its terrain well. The roar was also something BM lacked which certainly took much of presence of the ride away, it's really disappointingly quiet. But again, that will be gone on Nemesis soon as well and I don't think it simply being in a pit and therefore echoing will make it sound anything like it does now.

I suppose it might be that I took in the consensus that Nemesis was better so went into Mamba with lower expectations than I should have and was therefore pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Then again, the first time I ride Nemesis every season I remember how good it is, so maybe another few blasts on it in a few weeks time will sort me out.

I haven't ridden enough coasters to be able to compile a list and it would change with my mood anyway. But riding Black Mamba for the first time a few weeks ago, I really was toying with whether a prefer it to Nemesis or not. My son, who thinks Nemesis is the best he's ever ridden, got straight off BM, declared it wasn't as good and didn't bother doing it again. He frequently kept running back round the queue lines of FLY and Taron like he does the end of the day with Nemesis however.

But stood in the queue line, I just adored the theming, the setting and the dark underground station thing they have going on with it. On all rows the pull up into the loop after the first drop has some great sustained intensity. It's also longer and although the last few bits of it can be considered filler material, it was still pulling some g's around everyone corner, particularly at the back and with some great leg chopper with the terrain at the front as it's so close to the ground and surrounding embankments.

Nemesis let's up less, but I suppose it pays the price with the shorter ride length. BM's inversions are more new style smooth transitions rather than the enjoyable snap overs you get on Nemesis. I would prefer the terrain of Nemesis but with the pit overgrown full of weeds and red water now long gone, I'm not so sure as BM is so well themed and uses its terrain well. The roar was also something BM lacked which certainly took much of presence of the ride away, it's really disappointingly quiet. But again, that will be gone on Nemesis soon as well and I don't think it simply being in a pit and therefore echoing will make it sound anything like it does now.

I suppose it might be that I took in the consensus that Nemesis was better so went into Mamba with lower expectations than I should have and was therefore pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Then again, the first time I ride Nemesis every season I remember how good it is, so maybe another few blasts on it in a few weeks time will sort me out.
That's an interesting one. I haven't done Black Mamba myself, but I've always thought it looked quite similar to Nemesis in many ways. Whether I'd like it more than Nemesis, I'm not sure... although I'm one of those who rates Nemesis Inferno higher than Nemesis (of the 5 B&M inverts I've done, Nemesis sits in 3rd place), so the odds are possibly stacked in Mamba's favour for me. I did always love the look of that Deep in Africa theming!

In terms of ranking; low coaster count is no object when compiling a top coasters list! If anything, a low coaster count makes it easier because you have less coasters to sort through! And I bet your coaster count isn't as low as you think it is; from having read your posts and seen the parks you've talked about over the years, I bet you've been to at least as many parks as I have, and I've done 91 coasters in total (only 9 away from triple figures now!). I haven't done that many coasters, and apart from the top few and the bottom few, my list changes with the wind, yet that never stopped me making a list!

If you do face indecision, then my suggestion would be to start with the most simple question of all; what is your favourite coaster? Or perhaps sort your count into tiers of rides that you'd rate similarly to one another (for instance, even if you don't rank, I'd imagine that there are some ride vs ride comparisons where you can say you rate one higher than the other without hesitation) and then go from there.

But of course, ranking isn't for everyone, and that's fine!

1. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2. Maverick - Cedar Point
3. Lech - Legendia
4. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
5. Skyrush - Hershey Park
6. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
7. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
8. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
9. Ride to Happiness - Plopsaland de Panne
10. Untamed - Walibi Holland

1. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2. Maverick - Cedar Point
3. Lech - Legendia
4. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
5. Skyrush - Hershey Park
6. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
7. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
8. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
9. Ride to Happiness - Plopsaland de Panne
10. Untamed - Walibi Holland
I could be imagining this, but wasn't Helix previously pretty high up in your list? If I'm correct; what happened to that to make it drop so drastically, if you don't mind me asking?

I could be imagining this, but wasn't Helix previously pretty high up in your list? If I'm correct; what happened to that to make it drop so drastically, if you don't mind me asking?
It was, and I've also moved Skyrush higher. Minor shuffles.

It was how I reflected on where I'd put RTH. I would easily take it over Helix, yet wouldn't ride the rest of my top 10 ahead of RTH. Not only that, as much as I love Helix, each of the respective visits I've had to Liseberg were not as enjoyable as when riding Helix (the opposite of Balder, which grew in my fondness over the years).

It's a brilliant coaster, but on reflection it just doesn't feel like it's a top ten coaster for me anymore. Ride to Happiness is quite like Helix in a number of ways, but dialled up to create something utterly bonkers. It's just a shame it's at Plopsaland really.

Due an update, new entries in bold.

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Skyrush
3. Untamed
4. Taron
5. Time Traveller
6. Phoenix
7. Twisted Colossus
8. Magnum XL200
9. Karnan
10. Lightning Rod

11. Hyperion
12. Zadra
13. Phantoms Revenge
14. Storm Chaser
15. Ride To Happiness
16. The Voyage

17. Expedition GeForce
18. Helix
19. Mako
20. El Toro

Last edited:
Due an update, new entries in bold.

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Skyrush
3. Untamed
4. Taron
5. Time Traveller
6. Phoenix
7. Twisted Colossus
8. Magnum XL200
9. Karnan
10. Lightning Rod

11. Hyperion
12. Zadra
13. Phantoms Revenge
14. Storm Chaser
15. Ride To Happiness
16. The Voyage

17. El Toro
18. Helix
19. Mako
20. El Toro
Out of interest, was El Toro being put twice intentional? Or do both El Toro at SFGAdv and El Toro at Freizeitpark Plohn make your list?

I apologise, as I didn’t mean that to sound pedantic; I was just interested to know!

I was born in Hong Kong so I might have some East Asian credits y'all might not have

1. Hair Raiser - Ocean Park Hong Kong (This is superior)
2. The Smiler - Alton Towers (Inversions)
3. Oblivion - Alton Towers (Forceful Drop)
4. Mine Train - Ocean Park Hong Kong (Insane airtime and views for a family coaster)
5. Nemesis - Alton Towers (Landscaping, Intensity)
6. THE SWARM - Thorpe Park (Theming, Intensity once again)
7. Stealth - Thorpe Park (Short but sweet)
8. TRON Lightcycle Power Run - Shanghai Disneyland (Decent Launch + seemingly better theming than AAFF in DLP)
9. Wicker Man - Alton Towers (Theming)
10. SAW - The Ride - Thorpe Park (I just love the indoor section)

Still got a lot of theme parks in Europe and the UK to go to though, will be starting off with DLP in a few days time.

So, after a recent trip taking in a dozen parks and a smattering of new rides - have Kondaa or the Ride to Happiness broken in to my top 10?

1: Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point (last rode 2018)
Believe the hype. It will live up to your expectations. This ride spits out every other and eats it for breakfast the next day. Endless airtime. Intense transitions. Long duration. This is quite simply a masterclass of thrill engineering and the most incredible ride in the world. That doesn't mean you could sit on it for an hour - you would probably die.

2: Maverick, Cedar Point (last rode 2018)
If anything, Maverick has grown on me since my 2013 trip. Unlike most of my top coasters. Maverick is re-rideable, smooth, comfortable - but also wildly creative in its layout - a brilliant launch and fantastic first drop and intense corners. Probably the most perfect coaster ever built. Taron? Say what? As with all Intamins - let this ride warm up and check it out later in the day for the best!

3: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure (last rode 2018)
Wild. Airtime is insane. It is simply an epic, epic rollercoaster which gets almost universal praise from all who ride it. That said, since my 2013 trip the ride has become a little rougher, and that is why it is no longer higher than Maverick.

4: Skyrush, Hersheypark (last rode 2018)
The airtime on this coaster is almost too much. It makes you scream and shriek. It is like no other coaster experience. The lift hill alone is just madness. The first drop is incredible. As with all Intamins - let this ride warm up and check it out later in the day for the best!

5. Eejanaika, Fuji-Q Highland (last rode 2017)
This ride is actually quite vicious. But it's like nothing else I have done. I certainly couldn't ride again in quick succession but this is a thrill and intensity like no other ride. Significantly better than X2 which, although still a crazy ride, I found less comfortable.

6. Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City (last rode 2018)
A fantastic ride in a fantastic park. It no doubt helps that my first experience of this coaster was at night - and the entire layout is shrouded in complete blackness. I couldn't recall the layout and as such, it was one of the best experiences I had ever had on a coaster. Check it out after dark for the best experience!

7. Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion (last rode 2018)
Millennium what? This ride is everything Millennium Force wishes it was - combining the speed of the Cedar Point icon with the tight twists of Maverick and the intensity of... well no other ride. The sustained G forces during the helix on this coaster will have your eyesight going blurry. It's something else. As with all Intamins - let this ride warm up and check it out later in the day for the best!

8. The Ride to Happiness, Plopsaland (last rode 2022)
When I first reflected on this ride, I wasn't sure it would make my top 10. Or even top 20. But having reflected more in the weeks following, and looking at the other rides on this top 10 list - I think it's fair to say that this is my favourite Mack coaster and I would take it over the two rides below on this list. Mack have smashed it with this attraction. It's way better than Time Traveler and offers some intense moments but is, at the same time, incredibly fun. The build quality on these Xtreme spinning coasters is first rate and it really is one of the best ride systems ever devised.

9: Ghostrider, Knott's Berry Farm (last rode 2019)
Incredible! Was so surprised by this coaster - but it was an absolute dream. Fantastic!

10: Raptor, Cedar Point (last rode 2018)
Raptor represents a kick ass layout on an awesome ride model. Genuinely, this is a top, top class inverted coaster and classic from B&M. Intense or what! Note that Raptor is actually better than Monster, as unlike the latter, Raptor runs 3 trains, warms up properly during the day and is far better taken care of.

Dropping out of the list is RailBlazer. Kondaa would be top 20-30 somewhere. It is excellent.

My current coaster count is around 720 but it is not precise.

This is a tough one, I haven't been on nearly as many coasters as many of you, and most of the coasters I've been on were 10+ years ago, but I'm going to give it a shot!

10. Batman, Magic Mountain

9. Montezooma's Revenge, Knott's Berry Farm
Nostalgia value, probably went on this one 12 times in a row once as a child

8. Raging Spirits, Tokyo Disneysea
The vertical loop through the mist is a great moment

7. Arthur, Europa Park
The 'big reveal' where you fly out over the big indoor area is one of the better moments on any coaster I can remember

6. Colossus, Magic Mountain (the original version, haven't been on the new one yet)

5. Big Thunder Railroad, Disneyland Paris
The best version of this ride by far

4. Hyperspace Mountain, Disneyland Paris
Wish I'd been on the previous version, but even with the overlay it's a lot of fun

3. X/X2, Magic Mountain
If you're looking for the "I'm about to die" feeling this is a great ride

2. Wodan, Europa Park
See entry above

1. Matterhorn Bobsleds, Disneyland
Something about this ride just does it for me. A historic classic, my favorite ride at Disneyland and one of my favorites of all time

I'm generally more of a dark ride fan, so I'll also do my list of ten rides of all kinds, not just coasters

10. Rise of the Resistance, Disneyland
A technical marvel, sadly themed to a set of movies that I don't care much for

9. Aquatopia, Tokyo Disneysea
A very, very silly, fun ride. Nearly as much fun to watch from the side as to actually ride

8. Splash Mountain, Tokyo Disneyland
I couldn't understand half of the dialogue on this one but it's the best maintained of the Splash Mountains

7. Alice in Wonderland, Disneyland
Maybe the best straightforward dark ride ever

6. Sindbad's Voyage, Disneysea
The best "slow boat ride with songs" ride on the planet

5. Tower of Terror, California Adventure/Tokyo Disneysea
I preferred the CA version for the Twilight Zone theme (and because I can understand the dialogue) but in its absense the Tokyo version is nearly as good

4. Peoplemover, Disneyland/Magic Kingdom
Dearly miss the original version but without it the Florida one is a pretty good substitute

3. Indiana Jones Adventure, Disneyland
Needs a bit of upkeep now but still one of the best combinations of thrills and story ever built. Number one queue line of all time as well

2. Matterhorn Bobsleds, Disneyland

1. Radiator Springs Racers, California Adventure
Absolutely bored by the Cars films but the ride is out of this world, especially at night

1. Shambhala (PortAventura)
2. The Smiler (Alton Towers)
3. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
4. Red Force (PortAventura)
5. Wickerman (Alton Towers)
6. Dragon Khan (PortAventura)
7. Oblivion (Towers)
8. Storm Chaser (Paulton’s Park)
9. Rita (Towers)
10. Thirteen (Towers)

Been to Chessington and Thorpe since making this post so thought I’d update.

1. Shambhala (PortAventura)
2. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
3. The Smiler (Alton Towers)
4. Red Force (PortAventura)
5. Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park)
6. Wickerman (Alton Towers)
7. The Swarm (Thorpe Park)
8. Dragon Khan (PortAventura)
9. Oblivion (Towers)
10. Vampire (Chessington)

I don't think I've updated my top 10 since 2018, but now the time has come. So here we go:

1. Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
2. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
3. Maverick, Cedar Point
4. Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
5. Skyrush, Hersheypark
6. Ride to Happiness, Plopsaland De Panne
7. Storm Chaser, Kentucky Kingdom
8. Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City
9. Twisted Colossus, Six Flags Magic Mountain
10. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park

I've been to Plopsaland twice this year and across those two visits I've ridden Ride to Happiness countless times, including in the dark. Each ride has been just as exhilarating as the first ride I had on it, which is why it ranks so highly for me. My top 5 are in a league of their own, but RtH is not far behind, it is utterly relentless.

It was good to get on EGF again the other week, and it remains a top coaster with some very powerful airtime. It was very interesting comparing it with Kondaa at Walibi Belgium actually, they both share similarities in that they start and end superbly but the middle third of the rides are bit wishy washy. EGF just feels more of a powerful beast than Kondaa, hence why it retains a spot in my top 10 (despite falling slightly) and Kondaa does not.

Helix has dropped out of my top 10 for no reason other than I have not ridden in since 2014 and I think I prefer the RMCs at 7, 8 and 9 over it. Voyage also sadly drops out, but damn I love that coaster.

I'll be riding Untamed later in the year so looking forward to seeing how that compares with the other RMCs that I have done.

Update after trips to Scandinavia and the UAE.

1. Zadra, Energylandia
2. Taiga, Linnenmaki *
3. Helix, Liseberg
4. Lech Coaster, Legendia
5. Shambhala, PortAventura
6. Taron, Phantasialand
7. Wodan, Europa Park
8. Oz'Iris, Parc Asterix
9. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
10. Stunt Fall, Parque Warner Madrid*

Taiga is absolutely insane, combining the best elements of both Taron and Helix.

Taron has suffered a bit of a double blow. It pales in direct comparison to Taiga and also failed to blow me away in quite the same way when I returned this year. Still great though!

Expedition Everest drops out, sadly just too stop start to make my top 10 against vastly more thrilling rides. Although, in fairness, it doesn't help that I haven't ridden it in 12 years now.

Stunt Fall is the other new entry, after reflection, replacing Manta. I thought it was brilliant. Such an insane ride that really took me by surprise. Manta is another one that is hard to judge fairly having not ridden in so long but I got on Fly this year, a flying coaster which has received rave reviews, and found the flying position uncomfortable and the ride unenjoyable as I have with Galactica in recent years. I suspect that in my old age I would now consider the riding position on Manta to also be too uncomfortable for it to threaten my top 10 anymore. Tastes change!

Last edited:
Still Fairly untraveled but here’s my list:

1-Zadra

2-shambhala

3-Hyperion

4-Lech Coaster

5-Red Force

6-Nemesis

7-Abyssus

8-Wicker Man

9-Icon

10-Furius Baco

Stunt Fall is the other new entry, after reflection, replacing Manta. I thought it was brilliant. Such an insane ride that really took me by surprise.

A coaster built by Vekoma, at the time it made SLCs en masse and a technically uninspiring layout but wow it is so good. The reverse lift on the front middle seats is brilliant, then intense, then staring at the sky on the second lift. It really shouldn't be good, but that makes it even better.

I find these really difficult to do, especially when trying g to co wider coasters which I’ve only been on once or twice, compared to coasters I’ve been repeatedly riding for years, but let’s give it a go:

1. Kondaa (Walibi Belgium)
2. Monster (Walygator)
3. Ghost Rider (Knotts Berry Farm)
4. Furius Baco (PortAventura) (don’t hate!)
5. Taron (Phantasialand)
6. Helix (Liseberg)
7. Formula Rossa (Ferrari World)
8. Superman Escape from Krypton (Six Flags Magic Mountain)
9. Piraten (Djurs Sommerland)
10. Fireball (Happy Valley Shanghai)

Doing this has made me realise how much I enjoy launch coasters.

I find these really difficult to do, especially when trying g to co wider coasters which I’ve only been on once or twice, compared to coasters I’ve been repeatedly riding for years, but let’s give it a go:

1. Kondaa (Walibi Belgium)
2. Monster (Walygator)
3. Ghost Rider (Knotts Berry Farm)
4. Furius Baco (PortAventura) (don’t hate!)
5. Taron (Phantasialand)
6. Helix (Liseberg)
7. Formula Rossa (Ferrari World)
8. Superman Escape from Krypton (Six Flags Magic Mountain)
9. Piraten (Djurs Sommerland)
10. Fireball (Happy Valley Shanghai)

Doing this has made me realise how much I enjoy launch coasters.
Not hating, just means I will take every post of yours from this day forward with a huge pinch of salt! ;)