• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

Is now a bad time to say that I prefer the Big One to Nemesis? :p
Go Away GIF

Surprisingly After Texas and a bunch of middle America parks only one new addition to the top 10. Maybe if Wonder Woman was open that would've changed things

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 The Voyage - Holiday World
3 Zadra - Energylandia
4 Baldur - Liseberg
5 Helix - Liseberg
6 Maverick - Cedar Point
7 Taron - Phantasialand
8 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
9 Hyperion - Energylandia
10 Untamed - Walibi Holland

So The Voyage goes into the top 10, any thoughts it could be a Vengeance killer ended 3 days later with a front row ride on that. Sadly Top Thrill Dragster begin down for the year meant it couldn't respond.
A further update for 2022 after a jaunt round a bit of Europe.

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 The Voyage - Holiday World
3 Zadra - Energylandia
4 Maverick - Cedar Point
5 Ride To Happiness - Plopsaland De Panne
6 Baldur - Liseberg
7 Taron - Phantasialand
8 Helix - Liseberg
9 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
10 Hyperion - Energylandia

Ride To Happiness slamming into the top 5. An absolutely fantastic coaster, a true Mack masterpiece.

Taron running so well so moves back above Helix.

Maverick moves up as well as I reassessed my top coasters when trying to work out were RtH fitted in.

FLY was great as well but doesn't crack the top 10, Kondaa was good but not great so places further down.

1) Nemesis
2) The Swarm
3) Icon
4) Wicker Man
5) Nemesis Inferno
6) Storm Chaser
7) The Big One
8) Oblivion
9) Stealth
10) Galactica/Air

Time to revisit this after visiting some European parks recently (Walibi Holland, Energylandia, and Liseberg). It’s quite a different list now.

1) Nemesis
2) Untamed
3) Zadra
4 ) Helix
5) The Swarm
6) Hyperion
7) Abyssus
8) Icon
9) Goliath (WH)
10) Nemesis Inferno

I’ve got Untamed just ahead of Zadra as I slightly prefer Untamed’s fun airtime filled layout over Zadra’s raw speed and size. Hyperion would be somewhat higher but unfortunately it’s sometimes got a bit of a rattle that you really feel due to it’s sheer speed (though I’ve had a glass smooth ride on it before that was one of my all-time favourite individual coaster rides).

Valkyria just misses out, though a front row wing seat ride is a fantastic experience.

Time to revisit this after visiting some European parks recently (Walibi Holland, Energylandia, and Liseberg). It’s quite a different list now.

1) Nemesis
2) Untamed
3) Zadra
4 ) Helix
5) The Swarm
6) Hyperion
7) Abyssus
8) Icon
9) Goliath (WH)
10) Nemesis Inferno

I’ve got Untamed just ahead of Zadra as I slightly prefer Untamed’s fun airtime filled layout over Zadra’s raw speed and size. Hyperion would be somewhat higher but unfortunately it’s sometimes got a bit of a rattle that you really feel due to it’s sheer speed (though I’ve had a glass smooth ride on it before that was one of my all-time favourite individual coaster rides).

Valkyria just misses out, though a front row wing seat ride is a fantastic experience.

Back left especially on Hyperion is like riding a pogo stick. It's very odd behaviour

I do find it odd that hardly anyone puts family thrill coasters in their top 10. Some of the best themed coasters on the planet are more aimed at the family after all and not only that but they are tremendous fun.

I think I would have to include BTM in my top 10 for the two reasons above.

I do find it odd that hardly anyone puts family thrill coasters in their top 10. Some of the best themed coasters on the planet are more aimed at the family after all and not only that but they are tremendous fun.

I think I would have to include BTM in my top 10 for the two reasons above.
Depends how you rank your coasters. Personally I consider track and train only when rating how good I find a coaster. If it was experienced/theming based for me my top 50 would probably look completely different.

Depends how you rank your coasters. Personally I consider track and train only when rating how good I find a coaster. If it was experienced/theming based for me my top 50 would probably look completely different.

That's fair enough. Track and train are definitely important factors for me too but I'm a sucker for being transported to another world on a coaster.

I like coasters that interact with the landscape and / or have great theming and backstory.

Probably why I love Nemmy so much as not only does it deliver the thrills but it does so much more on my list too.

Because while they're amazing coasters they're not as good as others.

BTM currently sits at 20/247, to compare that to my top 10, which has larger, more intense coasters, then it just doesn't quite make that world class level that some of them have.

As said before, track and train is what coasters for me are ranked on.

As @Burbs and @MattyH said, it wholly depends upon how you rank your coasters and what you personally rate in a ride. I'm like them in that I mostly rank my coasters track and train; some of the rides in my top 10 are hardly themed at all, but I love the track and train ride experiences.

If you look at my top 10, I guess you could say that I have some family thrill coasters in mine:
  1. Mako
  2. Silver Star
  3. Wodan
  4. Icon
  5. Wicker Man
  6. Oblivion
  7. Montu
  8. SheiKra
  9. Blue Fire
  10. Mine Blower
Personally, the coasters I rate highest are the ones that have a good blend of thrill, fun and rerideability. I will rate a fun, rerideable coaster that's less intense more highly than a massively intense one that's too much to be fun and rerideable. There's a certain level of thrilling I like a ride to hit for it to reach my top 10 and be properly rerideable, but I wouldn't say that any of my top 10 are excessively intense by any means; as I said, I think they all strike a nice balance between thrills, fun and rerideability.

I personally value pure fun very highly in rides, and I certainly value it over out-and-out raw intensity, so any ride that I found thrilling, fun and rerideable is likely to fare pretty well even if it's not the most intense coaster ever created. I'm not anal about rides being super intense; in fact, I personally believe that too much intensity can be counterintuitive and make a ride less fun for me. If I ranked my coasters purely on intensity, my list would be very different.

For me, pure intensity is not what I personally value most in a coaster by a long way.

I think John Wardley actually ranks BTM at Disneyland as his favourite ever attraction that he hasn't worked on personally.

Haven't ridden that one but have done the Florida and Paris versions and they are definitely really good fun. I can definitely see what he means.

Think my top ten now would have a good mix. Any ride that has next to no theming or none at all is immediately binned though even if it rides well.

Expedition Everest was in my top ten some years ago, and is still probably my favourite family thrill coaster to this day.

It also depends where you draw the line between what is a family coaster and what is a thrill.

I see Wicker Man and Twisted Colossus in lots of peoples top 10s, and both of these I would class very much as family coasters with universal appeal, as opposed to high intensity thrill coasters. Both very good family rides, but not intense enough to be classed as thrill.

It also depends where you draw the line between what is a family coaster and what is a thrill.

I see Wicker Man and Twisted Colossus in lots of peoples top 10s, and both of these I would class very much as family coasters with universal appeal, as opposed to high intensity thrill coasters. Both very good family rides, but not intense enough to be classed as thrill.

Wickerman isn't really a family roller coaster though is it? I agree it's not the most intense of Wooden coasters but it's hardly the Run Away Mine Train either is it? It's definitely geared more towards thrill seekers than families.

Twisted Colossus is to Wicker Man what the Beatles are to Maroon 5. They're absolutely incomparable.

Wickerman definitely is in that grey area when it comes to rollercoasters. Hence why a lot of people refer to it as Family Thrill. It’s definitely a very fun ride for all ages and packs a good punch. The amount of first time riders I’ve heard saying things along the lines of, “it’s faster than it looks” is very high.

Wickerman definitely is in that grey area when it comes to rollercoasters. Hence why a lot of people refer to it as Family Thrill. It’s definitely a very fun ride for all ages and packs a good punch. The amount of first time riders I’ve heard saying things along the lines of, “it’s faster than it looks” is very high.
I've heard stories of people going on WM straight after eating because they think it's not that intense... then losing their lunch.

Twisted Colossus a family coaster!? Absolutely no way!

I rode Untamed just over a week ago; a great RMC, especially once it has warmed up, but it is not better than the RMCs that are in my top 10 (SteVe, Storm Chaser, Outlaw Run and Twisted Colossus). I found it to be on a similar level to Twisted Timbers at Kings Dominion.