• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2012/3 Closed Season Updates (pictures inside!)

Re: A Little Look at the Closed Season

When asked on their Twitter, Towers replied that The Sanctuary was still in place, for a conference held in March.
This could allow it to be open for Half Term - I can't see it myself as February half term
is advertised as a family event, but you never know!

Sorry for any mistakes - on my phone.

As someone already mentioned before why bother taking it down? 99.9% certain it will return for Scarefest as it was brand new this year. All they need to do if they are taking it down is move all the dispatching bit into the room that public can not access.

I did also hear that it was being left up for a conference too, but again that is not official as its off another theme park forum. It would be nice to have it as a all year round attraction for the 2013 season at least.

Sam said:
Is there a chance that The Sanctuary could be a full-time attraction next season, to compliment SW7's first year? :)

I'm praying for this as it could just built up the hype for the ride itself and could easily be marketed as a "new attraction" and so two attractions sound better than one right? Some of the SW7 budget can be spent improving its few flaws.

Could the conference be debating it's actors return and existence overall? Why would one want a conference in the middle of a dead Scaremaze?

All in all, this seems like a win win as it doesn't cost storage or workforce to take it away and can even attract the demographic that just come to Scarefest to maybe pop in another visit for the return of The Sanctuary. Whoever has Kelman on Facebook, he could be dropping subtle hints closer to the date.

But if Heritage was the case for ToTT in 2011, that changes my glimmer of hope. If it were to reopen, I'd think it would only reopen it'd for a few months, or the whole season at a maximum to boost promotion for SW7, most guests pass the Towers when they arrive so it'd be easy to access before X-Sector. Please Towers, please!

Unless the conference is a Ministry of Joy conference to unveil SW7 as the follow up to The Sanctuary?

It wouldnt surprise me if during the media event and ride launch the Sanctuary isnt used in someway, they will probably send all the media through there first, then out in X sector to see the brand new ride.

Oooh, the sanctuary is still up......*literally kneels on the floor and prays* PLEASE GOD! Seriously it would be really good marketing and if it is a free attraction then i will collapse in delight. I never got a go on it (I prefer nemmy so i did that instead) and would love it if i could. However it may drag attention from hex which is not so good and actually upsetting. Hmmmmmmm...... ::)

Open in march for a conference? Could this be for an event similar to the Th13teen dinner? It could be an add on part of the package, same could be for things like news and reviewers, would make outstanding advertising.

Zak said:
As someone already mentioned before why bother taking it down? 99.9% certain it will return for Scarefest as it was brand new this year. All they need to do if they are taking it down is move all the dispatching bit into the room that public can not access.

Alton Towers are obligated to keep certain parts of the ruins open for the majority of the season. Sanctuary uses 3 big public parts of the Towers (Conservatory, Music Room and Library) so those parts will need to come down.

Is it just me who visualises the old BK in Cloud Cuckoo Land becoming a lot like the style of the current decor in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

I hate this colour yellow they've chosen. But I hope to see a lot more Cloud Cuckoo Land quirkiness within the restaurant like the odd scattering of pipes and mushrooms. Plus get that Cloud Cuckoo Land theme playing in there, the full track isn't given enough justice played on speakers in those few pipes outside.

By the looks of things they are just testing the colour on that one section of the front, and with the little detailing it does look alot like Cloud Cuckoo Land. I certainly think it will be themed to fit in with that area and the skyride station next to it. Bright and colourful and quite fun.

The inside is currently empty of all the tables and chairs, but the counter, dividers, etc are still all there.

ryanlovesaltontowers said:
Is it just me who visualises the old BK in Cloud Cuckoo Land becoming a lot like the style of the current decor in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

I hate this colour yellow they've chosen. But I hope to see a lot more Cloud Cuckoo Land quirkiness within the restaurant like the odd scattering of pipes and mushrooms. Plus get that Cloud Cuckoo Land theme playing in there, the full track isn't given enough justice played on speakers in those few pipes outside.

As much as I would love the CCL Theme playing on loop I think it would annoy the staff a hell of alot.

Zak said:
ryanlovesaltontowers said:

As much as I would love the CCL Theme playing on loop I think it would annoy the staff a hell of alot.

Ride staff have to listen to the CCL Theme, I'm sure Food and Beverage will be able to manage it :p

The theme plays on a few rides in the area, it's just that the driving school music and the ice age videos seem to drown it out a bit these days.

Dave said:
Zak said:
Any idea what kind of maintenance they were doing on The Flume?

They seemed to be working on the turntable floor, we wondered if its getting a new surface similar to Rapids recent re-do.

Baha, you'll be surprised!

DannyJames said:
Dave said:
Zak said:
Any idea what kind of maintenance they were doing on The Flume?

They seemed to be working on the turntable floor, we wondered if its getting a new surface similar to Rapids recent re-do.

Baha, you'll be surprised!

What does that mean, do you know something we don't? ;)

From TS news

With the closed season now well under way it’s that time of the year when the park performs maintenance on many of its rides, in preparation for next year. Here we take a look at what has been happening around the park over the last few weeks.

Submission
Rumours were recently circulating to suggest that Enterprise, one of the flat rides located in the X-Sector area of the park, was due to receive essential maintenance and a major overhaul, presumably to prolong the life of the attraction. TowersStreet sources previously confirmed these rumours, and now also informed us that Submission, X-Sectors other flat ride, is joining Enterprise as part of this program of maintenance.

Submission first opened in 2001, produced by Chance Rides. The attraction originally used two arms on either side to invert riders and flip them head over heels. In recent years though the ride has suffered from various problems, resulting in only one side of the ride running at once, while the second lies dormant. There have been many theories over the years as to why this is, though it is believed to be down to wear and ageing of the ride.

However, TowersStreet sources have now confirmed that the ride is currently undergoing an extensive restoration operation, with the intention of having both arms running in unison once more for the 2013 season When the park is busy. Assuming the work is successful this will mean that Submissions throughput shall increase significantly, hopefully resulting in shorter queues for riders.

In 2013 Alton Towers shall open its new roller coaster, Secret Weapon 7, in X-Sector which is expected to bring many more guests to the area. In order to ensure that the new ride is able to cope with demand it is therefore important that the other attractions in the area are able to handle more guests than usual. This move by the park to improve the older attractions looks set to have a positive impact on the area, both aesthetically and in terms of operation.

To discuss X-Sector and the new improvements being made why not visit our X-Sector developments topic on our TowersStreet Talk forums?

Skyride
Skyride manufacturer Poma are currently on site, and have removed the running wheels from the ride, presumably to replace and update them. In 2008 the company were on site, replacing the original gondolas with the new colourful ones we see today. It seems they are now back again to give the rest of the system some attention behind the scenes. In the image here you can see a rather bare looking support which has had its running wheels removed.

Hex
Hex, which will be celebrating its 13th year of operation next season, has been experiencing issues throughout 2012, including loud banging and groaning sounds, and also issues with the audio visual systems within the vault and the cinema. The ride manufacturer, Vekoma, are believed to be at the park, and are performing extensive work to try and rectify the problems. This shall include replacing some major components, which it is hoped will correct the unusual sounds and jerking felt during the ride. This fix is not intended to solve the parking issues at the end of the ride, though it may have some effect on it.

Alton Towers technicians are also working on the AV systems, in an attempt to improve the quality of the audio and video throughout the attraction. This should mean that the volume issues in the vault, where the audio has on occasions been incredibly quiet, should be back to normal. Also, the video projector in the cinema should also be replaced, to improve the video quality after many months of issues.

Rita
In other news, Rita is in the process of receiving an upgrade from Intamin. This involves installing a new catch tray beneath the track. It was decided the modification was required following the incident earlier this year, where one of the cables used to catapult the train forwards snapped, falling onto the pathway underneath it. This improvement has allowed the scaffold tunnels under the launch to be removed, improving the appearance of Dark Forest, and also speeding up the throughput of Rita.

It's so pleasing to hear that Hex is being given the TLC it requires by Vekoma! It's been too long.

It seems like the park are finally taking a step in the right direction ;D Hopefully this is the beginning of great thing for the park, finally appreciating their old attractions. Hex was long overdue if you ask me.

Now just to paint and clean the coasters, fix up Duel, and clean the other theming :p

It's great that there is TLC to report on, but like Ian says - these smaller jobs won't be so noticeable against a backdrop of faded coasters and theming. However, if this is the start of something bigger then long may it continue!

It's good that they are working on the essentials. All of these needed fixing so I hope they are working fine come opening.

Of course I'd like it if they'd paint Oblivion and work on lots of little minor details around the park, but at least the priority's are being sorted.