• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

The Rita tunnel looks hideous.

The other improvements I've seen/heard online I'm impressed with. However that tunnel I just have no words for. What were they thinking!? I really hope something gets done about it. If they want a tunnel get something themed in place!

So back from the resort and just going to briefly mention the good and the bad.

The Good

+ towers street buildings have been painted (same colours just looks fresher)
+ new tv's in monorail
+ blivvy repaint
+ blivvy station
+ x-sector looks fresh
+ new more open space in front of x-sector toilets
+ submission seems smoother and clean
+ Sanctuary even better than Scarefest
+ burger Kichen building looks nice
+ staff are all very friendly
+ new pirate show is better than previous years
+ street entertainers around park
+ food improved in Secret Garden
+ ATH singers very good
+ Sir Algenon meeting diners in Secret Garden
+ Sub-Terra exit lifts fixed

The Bad

- Nemesis is in a right state (running great though)
- Burger kitchen food is average but portions small and price too high
- some areas seem to have lacked a good lean (dark forest, Flume)
- Health and Safety seems to have vomited over the park
- Rita scaffold tunnel is back (apparently last minute)

Best I have seen the park on opening day in many years

A very quick post. On the whole the park was looking really good this weekend. I think Dave had summed up what was good and bad really well. The good outweighs the bad massively. As I said to a few people, lots on park has been improved compared to previous years yet nothing has got much worse that it already was. So things might not be perfect but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

:)

Might as well put my own two pence into the positives and negatives so far:

Positives

The Sanctuary - So much better than Scarefest considering it is now a free attraction. It was fantastic to see all the actors giving it their best, despite not that many people realising it was there on the Saturday. I feel that all the actors who were carried over from the Scarefest version had improved greatly, and it was also great to see some faces from CoS and TotT doing a brilliant job in there also. I managed seven run throughs in total this weekend, and I enjoyed every single one.

The new street entertainers - I was a bit skeptical with regards to these three when I saw them roaming around the park on Saturday. However, after seeing much more of them today, I feel they're a great little addition to the park! The show they performed for us all was lovely, and I also particularly liked how they were in the queue line for The Sanctuary, interacting with the staff and also covering the rocks that had messages on them with tape, pretending that nothing was out of place with The Sanctuary. They reminded me of the street cleaners/builders who entertained guests at Sea World Orlando in 2010 who I thought were fantastic.

X Sector - I've loved the smell of fresh paint this weekend. Whilst the obvious flaw with the toilet block roof is apparent and The Smiler's support footers near the toilet block are hideous, I love how Towers have invested some care into X Sector this closed season, which despite it needing to happen, they didn't have to do. With regards to Bliv's station, whilst I'm over the moon they've hidden the atrocious previous station facade, I feel that the new panels are a bit too bright and standing out. I'd have preferred them to be white instead of the creamy colour they are.

The Burger Kitchen CCL Interior - I adore this interior. It looks smart, clean, and a place where anybody would want to eat.

Staff - I think the majority of staff in the shops and ride hosts have been an absolute credit to the resort this weekend. I could give so many mentions to all the staff who have helped up my mood this weekend, from the monorail driver who took us up to the hotel carparks this evening, down to the various shop staff and even the actors on The Sanctuary. Myself and Ben. had a really great conversation with one of the actors in the queueline with regards to the future of the maze and inquiring if they knew anything about being able to access the Towers. He was genuinely helpful and such an all round nice chap.

The paths - Not sure which parts are actually new and which are old, but many various areas of the paths around the park looked refreshed compared to last season, be it brand new brick patterns entirely or just a general jet wash. One part on the path from Katanga to MB stood out for me, although I'm not too sure if it was like that last season.

Negatives

Ride Ops - I know there is a large quantity of new ride ops this season, but they ruined many of the rides for me. Be it stacking and slacking, or trying to destroy various parts of my body with the restraints, I've not fully enjoyed various ride experiences this weekend down to the ride ops. However, I assume they will get better as time progresses, and I'm not willing to fully give them slack yet.

The Towers - I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that despite The Sanctuary being open, the Towers would be also. I was pretty gutted when asking the actors in The Sanctuary queue line if there was any safe way to gain access to the Towers only to be told no. I was genuinely looking forward to having a mini exploration of them at some point this weekend.

Rita's Tunnel - For obvious reasons.

The Burger Kitchen Food - I didn't have much from there this weekend, but from what I did have and from seeing what others had, I'm not impressed. The cheese on some of the burgers was shocking.

Attendance Figures - Whilst I was thrilled to get a decent ride count and enjoy an empty park considering it was opening weekend, I also felt that the overall lack of guests dampened the usual atmosphere. So a positive and a negative in a way.

Dave has covered a large quantity of other points I could have mentioned, but personally they didn't mean that much to me. So overall, a great personal start to the 2013 season and not a bad start to the season for Towers. A wide range of improvements can still be made, but overall, I'm very happy with the work done over closed season and the various additions added throughout the resort.

I was far from impressed with Burger Kitchen also.

The portions are pathetic, and nothing short of disgusting considering the price. I'd feel ripped off if I payed £3.99 for that, let alone the £6 odd the quarter pounder meal was. The drinks are tiny, but I think the big issue is that there doesn't appear to be any choice in size. At least give guests to option to upgrade to a larger drink for say 40p or something.

What made we laugh too was that in a meal the fries (Which too seem to be a standard size too) are minimal. The box is barely to the top. However, if fries are purchased as an extra or a side the box is crammed full of them, in-spite of it appearing to be the same product, given there is no defined portion size.

Now the burgers... Well the buns are very nice. Really soft and fresh tasting. The burger itself is also nice. By no means the finest beef I've had, but decent for fast food. The salad too is fresh, though a little more wouldn't go amiss. Now the cheese is very thin, and there's no real flavour to it.

But the big downfall for these burgers is the sauce, or rather, lack of. What sauce there was in mine and Joel's burgers (I have quarter pounder, he had chicken) was incredibly watery. It almost felt like they watered it down to make it go further! There's no taste to it whatsoever, and I think this is the big thing which lets the overall burger down. There's no interesting tastes or flavours which it should add. Instead you just get the taste of bread and a bit of beef. The result is a very bland taste. It's a shame really, as if the could get a decent sauce on them the burgers would be really nice in my opinion.

But for heavens sake they need to sort the portions out. For the £5+ they charge for a meal it's pitiful how small the amount of food you're given. Fill the fries boxes full even if you don't use bigger boxes, and at the very least offer a larger drinks cup.

I won't dwell on the service too much. After all it was the first day of the season, so hiccups are to be expected. However, I will say that the service issue certainly appear to be front of house. Food was coming out of the kitchen non-stop and there was a good quantity of all products waiting to go out. The kitchen staff were clearly doing a great job. However, the time taken for a meal to get from under the heat lamps to a guests hands is too long, considering when you look at it everything but the drink is good to go. Hopefully this will improve over the coming days though, just as it does with ride staff. They need time to settle.

It's a disappointing start for the new chain, but they can easily turn it around over the coming weeks if you ask me. If they increase the quality and portions, and perhaps lower the prices a little or add a large option at a reasonable rate it'll be a stable food option for the park though.

I thought the burger kitchen was ok - the fries were gorgeous as was the BBQ dip, my only complaint was the size of the burger, it was very thin. Even the quarter pounders were thin. Otherwise it was all very tasty - however......MaccyD's was still the best place to eat in Cred Street!!!

Hopefully it will improve, Fried chicken co during Feb half term was horrible, but now I would happily eat there on a visit.

It might also depend where you went, I used the Mutiny Bay Burger Kitchen and got loads of chips with my meal. The burger however was very average, far too small and just didnt have any taste, no where near as good as the old Burger king flamed grilled burgers.

I thought opening day went really well - the Sanctuary was excellent, great to meet Dr Kelman again! A lot better than Scarefest.

My only complaint of the entire day was Duel. It was shocking. Loads broken and effects not working...... oh, and Oblivion smoke not on! Shocking!

Apart from that it was a top day!

I'm pleased the park is quiet at the start of the season, and I hope it remains so.

I'd have for a precedent to be set for mid-season openings of major rides as per Flamingo Land. I want them to realise that the delay with The Smiler can't happen again with future projects.

Im pleased to here they have given the park a good spring clean and that people are happy with the days that they went. I didnt go last year but it was all moan moan moan and reading this has cheered my up. I love AT and hate not being able to go as much as i'd like, cant wait to get there in october after all the reviews. Lets see how poeple are when the smiler opens. and the riff raff emerge in there thousands

The negative reviews just stem on rita h&s tunnel and the new burger place. If they are the only major floors them Merlin look to have invested in the park well. Lets hope they keep it up?

Oblivion smoke probably was off due to the construction work...

Nemesis seems to be running better and better each time I go, kudos to whoever is incharge of it.

Hex volume seemed to be up a notch which is improving it more and more!

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

GaryH said:
... no red blood on Nemesis though!

Unfortunately, until the surrounding area's water table drops, I don't think Nemesis will have it's red dye in the surrounding water for a while :/

LiamC said:
GaryH said:
... no red blood on Nemesis though!

Unfortunately, until the surrounding area's water table drops, I don't think Nemesis will have it's red dye in the surrounding water for a while :/

It's good to know there's a proper reason! It's nice to have the red water, but it's only really annoying if it's not there due to a lack of effort or budget cuts.

The water will have been left clear because of the high level of rain we're getting at the moment. When it rains too hard the pools overflow, and Towers have to pay to pump the excess water out, or close the ride. However, if the water's been dyed apparently it costs Towers extra to have the waste water disposed of as it's "contaminated". They can't just pour it down a drain so to speak :p

Hopefully once the rain finally dries up (The sooner the better!) we'll see the pink rivers returning :D

Does anyone else think sonic spin ball has reached its end? I went on it yesterday and it seemed so rough and uncomfortable, I went on it last in September and it didn't seem anywhere near as bad.

It's certainly got a limited life-span as it is ear-marked for removal in the parks long-term-development-plan. That said it will probably last until the next Secret Weapon as the will use its removal to negotiate for other planning applications.