• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

They will no doubt be flexible with times if need be.

Oooo, something very interesting I got told today. In terms of street entertainment there will apparently be a (very random) thing that looks like construction toilet. If what I'm told is correct it makes some weird sounds and moves around the areas (down by TowersStreet and Mutiny Bay).

I cannot 100% guarantee that the above is correct as I'm just going off what I've been informed, but if it's true, well, how weird! But funny at the same time.

Opening hours are limiting to say the least, although I suppose I ought to be grateful for small mercies like the opulence of a 5.00pm ride close.

If 2013 is anything like as busy as 2010, they'll need to be a lot more liberal than this. We had 7.00pm's in June 2010!

The fact barely ANY weekend days are 6.00pm is worrying. I hope they extend, but worry they will not.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

So The Sanctuary is going to be free then? Seems like a bit of a double edged sword to me. I'm certainly not complaining about it, but how are they then going to justify charging for the mazes again come October?

Tom said:
The 4pm closures remained during term time weekdays in September and October last year. Those periods have not been revealed this year as of yet, so it's possible they will be 4pm closures also.
There were no 4pm closes whatsoever last year. Absolutely none. May have said it on website, but there wasn't any.

Sanctuary is free, as they're using it essentially as a replacement for Smiler. Winning.

I was about to say.

I've just checked with park staff who confirm the 4pm closes were entirely abolished.

Ogoid - there will be a longer queue, and it is effectively compensation for the Smiler delay, in part. A good move.

Oh, sure, I get that. But when Scarefest comes around and they charge for it, a lot of people will think "why should I pay when it was free a few months ago?"

Maybe The Sanctuary will be this years free maze, with a charge for Terror of the Towers instead. Or perhaps TOT may actually be replaced this year with a new maze, which will have a charge.

DiogoJ42 said:
Oh, sure, I get that. But when Scarefest comes around and they charge for it, a lot of people will think "why should I pay when it was free a few months ago?"

Most people will be unaware.

Well, would you pay £6 a pop (or whatever it is) for something that used to be free?

Don't get me wrong, by the way, I'm very happy that it is now free. It's just that I can see this coming back to bite them if they want to charge again.

Regarding the come back for £1 offer. Does this offer stand for hotel guests as well? I'm visiting during easter and have booked theme park tickets along with the hotel. The website doesn't seem to state if the come back for £1 offer for The Smiler qualifies for hotel guests too.

Thanks and sorry, I was just going off the website. The ones for September and October remained on there all year. I knew the ones in March-May were retracted to 5pm but assumed the later season ones had remained. Talk about bad PR and marketing if they cannot be bothered to update the opening times page.

I'm sure The Sanctuary will not be at this year's Scarefest. It is effectively being brought back at the start of the season to mitigate against The Smiler's delay. I know it was revealed that it would return before the coaster's delay was announced, but it still seems obvious to me.

James said:
Oooo, something very interesting I got told today. In terms of street entertainment there will apparently be a (very random) thing that looks like construction toilet. If what I'm told is correct it makes some weird sounds and moves around the areas (down by TowersStreet and Mutiny Bay).

I cannot 100% guarantee that the above is correct as I'm just going off what I've been informed, but if it's true, well, how weird! But funny at the same time.

I genuinely hope this is true. I remember a bin doing something similar in Tomorrow Land over at MK in Orlando and I thought it was fantastic! If they install a microphone and have someone talk through that inside the toilet, then they would be onto a winner and it would be far from a crap idea!

Sorry if this has already been covered but I'm a bit confussed (yes it doesn't take much lol) but is the Sanctury open all year or only until the Smiler opens?

Ash

Do you think the Sanctuary will be of same quality? Or will it be lesser so due to it being free and a last minute filler option?

So if it is to close after intime for June, that will give quite a long time for it to 'disapear' before returning as a chargable attraction for Scarefest, which makes sense.

I have to say its really good of Alton to open this up as a replacment for a coaster that isn't open yet! Its the first time I've even known this happen. I have seen parks close a ride for whatever reasons, then when something else breaks down they open the ride they closed until such time as the problem is fixed, but I've never before seen it done like this.

Ash