• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

Don't mean to be a spoilsport but AT are obliged to open parts of the ruins for X number of weeks a year, these parts are occupied by The Sanctuary.

I also think that if it were to remain all season and then come Scarefest they wanted people to pay for it again, that'd be a huge joke.

However it it leaves in May and returns as a paid maze at Scarefest, that'd still be a joke - just slightly less of one...

If they have any sense, they'll be thinking up ideas of a new maze right now.

The Sanctuary's almost entirely based in the usually closed-off West Wing, and all the areas of the Towers not used for the maze have been cleared and had the maze areas fenced off in them... Just for some reason they're still not letting guests in!

Vik said:
Noticed the last couple of visits that as well as all guests being allowed to enter the park at 9, as per last year, there are no longer staff at ride entrances checking guests have valid tickets for ERT or annual passes. I can only assume ERT is available to everyone who gets there early now? Or am I missing something obvious as per norm.

Wonder if not checking for ERT is everyday now... It's annoying if it is. Think someone mentioned it on the smiler topic too.

Dave said:
Vik said:
Noticed the last couple of visits that as well as all guests being allowed to enter the park at 9, as per last year, there are no longer staff at ride entrances checking guests have valid tickets for ERT or annual passes. I can only assume ERT is available to everyone who gets there early now? Or am I missing something obvious as per norm.

Wonder if not checking for ERT is everyday now... It's annoying if it is. Think someone mentioned it on the smiler topic too.

Well if ERT is also on pre-booked tickets now too there will be more people with ERT than without.

Being on pre-booked tickets is not a recent thing.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of guests use 2 for 1 vouchers, it has to be quite a lot still.

A few observations, comments and views of mine from my three day visit:

Theme Park
- Smiler Staff: May be I just visited at the wrong time. But the two staff members standing around the area seemed to be more interested in talking to each other and running around outside X Sector. They looked too occupied messing about with each other rather than doing what I assume their job is, to promote The Smiler.

- Sub Terra staff: Rode Sub-Terra 2.0 for the first time, I'm very impressed with the whole experience - it's improved greatly. However like many others I still don't like the way staff act towards guests. It just doesn't suit the theme. If I am being welcomed to this facility, why am I being shouted at and insulted? I feel like I'm being sent down to be locked up, not to observe something! I found it rather unpleasant at the start and a few people didn't look impressed either. Staff need to be careful too as some comments I heard could upset some people.

- Th13teen's shutter: Oh Th13teen, you only failed at one thing, and that was closing your shutter. For me I loved it, as I've always wanted to admire the theming in the light and see the drop in that kind of way. However from another perspective it really dampens the experience. The drop does not feel as long (as the dark will make you feel like you've dropped twice the distance), and it's not as dramatic either. I understand there's not a lot that can be done if it broke on the day. However I would expect these things to be working. For a first timer, this ruins the effect.

- Hex's projector and pre-shows: Yay, the projector is fixed! Well done to whoever sorted that out. I've also noticed in the Octagon room there's a lot of smoke pumping out and there have been some lighting fixes. Hex is looking better than ever and I'm very happy my favourite ride on park has had some TLC.

- Hex's vault: This is a positive and negative note. On the positive side the music is far louder, which really adds to the dramatic effect of the ride. On the negative side, the creaking is pretty bad, myself and my brother noted that it bangs a lot too. This is quite noticeable in the middle of the seats, and even worse on the edge! Parking takes forever too. Although from what I understand the cause of these issues has not been found. So I cannot fault the park too much for these issues.

- The Smiler faces: These are still scattered around the park, and very faded! I hope these get removed soon as they aren't looking too pretty. Either that or paint over them.

- Upselling toned down: Well done Alton, Towers Street no longer feels like a local market! Upselling is still there, and you get jumped on by a few members of staff at the start of the day. But on the whole it's been toned down a bit, which I'm glad of.

- TowersStreet music: What's happening here? It is SO quiet! I didn't even think the music was on until I was standing next to a speaker. Turn up the volume! The music should be booming through the area, it welcomes you to the fun day ahead and makes the atmosphere 10x better.

- Staff: As always the staff have been brilliant. Can't fault them at all. Came across a bit of a grumpy staff member on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but other than that Alton Towers still has some of the best staff you can find in the theme park world.

Resort:
- Disappearing drinks menus: This has confused me somewhat, and if anyone has an answer to this I'd love to know what it is... in the Alton Towers Hotel there are drinks menus on every single table, very nicely done and easily found in the daytime. Yet at night time when it is the busiest the menus cannot be found anywhere, they are all gone, taken off the tables, not a single menu in sight. My question: why?

We (me and my parents) took a guess that due to the main entertainment being in the Stateroom (conference centre) during Easter the staff move all the menus there at night, since it's anticipated to be the busiest venue. Although we went into the Stateroom and there were no menus to be seen. In the Alton Towers Hotel, the morning after the disappearance of the drinks menus, they had appeared back on the tables again. Then it came to night again and they disappeared!

To me this defeats the object of having drinks menus. There's been no problem with menus around on every table at night before, so what exactly is going on now? Answers on a post card please.

- Darwin and Ringo footprints to the Monorail: If you're a hotel guest as you exit the hotel there will be a sign telling you to follow the foot steps to take you to the Monorail. Only problem is, the footprints are completely faded. They are in real need of a repaint. Just a small pot of green and yellow paint needed, probably a 20-30 minute job by one person. Simple!

- Waterpark hell: The Waterpark is just too packed these days for my liking. It's horrendous in there. It was never designed for day guests, just hotel guests. Guest numbers need to be reviewed for the waterpark I think.

Another two points with the Waterpark. There's still Cariba Creek logos around the place, and it annoys me that it's been 5 years now since the resort rebrand yet still the waterpark has a mish-mash of logos scattered around the place. The other point, you no longer pay to use your locker, although each locker still states you pay a pound for it. These stickers need to be removed ideally, as I saw a lot of confused guests, wondering why it's given them their £2 back, or wondering why there's no box to collect the extra £1.

- Staff: Again, no fault with the staff. The bar staff have improved too, well, they seemed to have been working quicker and not slowly making drinks.

I know a lot I've written is negative, although I live in hope that Alton Towers will catch out a few things I have highlighted. I know some comments are non-issues or simply informative points of my particular visit. Although I've tried to keep an open mind and look from the perspective of how general guests view the place.

James said:
- Smiler Staff: May be I just visited at the wrong time. But the two staff members standing around the area seemed to be more interested in talking to each other and running around outside X Sector. They looked too occupied messing about with each other rather than doing what I assume their job is, to promote The Smiler.

When I have seen them they seem to talk to one lot of guests for a good while (whether they are talking about the ride or not I don't know) or either chatting to themselves. They could also approach people more as when I was in X-Sector several times last visit (once for quiet a while) they were just stood talking to each other and not approaching people as they come in to X-Sector which I believe they should be.

James said:
- Th13teen's shutter: Oh Th13teen, you only failed at one thing, and that was closing your shutter. For me I loved it, as I've always wanted to admire the theming in the light and see the drop in that kind of way. However from another perspective it really dampens the experience. The drop does not feel as long (as the dark will make you feel like you've dropped twice the distance), and it's not as dramatic either. I understand there's not a lot that can be done if it broke on the day. However I would expect these things to be working. For a first timer, this ruins the effect.

The roller wasn't working/being used when I last visited on the 30th March although it was used on the opening day of the season, the 16th March. To see it with a good light source made a very interesting view like you said. I'm not sure whether it is broke, or just not being used for some reason or other - anyone have a better idea on what is going on with the roller?

This year the park has seen a great number of improvements, the staff also seem a lot more cheerful and less 'sell sell sell'.

Regarding the speakers on Towers Street, it appeared the other day that one of the 4 speaker stacks was switched off meaning the was a noticeable sound loss, they really need to revamp the Bose system on Towers Street and the entrance plaza, these days the music is barely audible. A few Bose 802s attached to the buildings would create a good even level of audio, at the moment the 4 stacks (2 at the top, 2 at the bottom) don't really send the music that far and the few speakers that are still attached to the buildings are pointlessly quiet.

Poison Tom 96 said:
Don't mean to be a spoilsport but AT are obliged to open parts of the ruins for X number of weeks a year, these parts are occupied by The Sanctuary.

Oh yeah they have to open it. Dont forget its only the conservatories and music room which is currently occupied. I think it would be a great idea for Alton to keep it open until The Smiler has the all clear to open don't you agree?

Rollercoasters4Life said:
James said:

The roller wasn't working/being used when I last visited on the 30th March although it was used on the opening day of the season, the 16th March. To see it with a good light source made a very interesting view like you said. I'm not sure whether it is broke, or just not being used for some reason or other - anyone have a better idea on what is going on with the roller?

Th13teens shutter works on a sensor and sometimes doesn't close if the sun is shining on it so that is why it doesn't close sometimes.

I actually think the roller-shutter is broken on Th13teen as it hasn't worked every time i have ridden it this season. Either that or its just a fluke.

Dave said:
I actually think the roller-shutter is broken on Th13teen as it hasn't worked every time i have ridden it this season. Either that or its just a fluke.
It's definitely not broken, as it was working on Good Friday, each and every time I rode that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A few changes and improvements I noticed while on-park today:

- The scare maze on Nemesis: Sub-Terra now features multi coloured lights as found in the cave.

- TH13TEEN's queue line shop has been re-painted as it was very scratched and faded, a very good re-paint, you'd think it has always been like that.

- The Runaway Mine Train now has black pads fitted to the air gates. (I don't know why)

RMT's modified gates have been there all season - it's a safety feature as apparently the gap between the gates was too large. Why this (as with so many RMT changes) has only become a problem after 21 years is a mystery to me.

Was in Oblivion's station today and noticed it's reduced throughput has a HUGE effect. Weather it is down to who was on or not, my god it was sloooow

Went on Oblivion and I said to the dipatcher I needed a double buckle seat, I find its easier to say before getting on to speed up the process for everyone. They replied with "just sit at any and then tell them you need to change"

Great team work

I had a moan, so now need to praise....

The team on Nemmy yesterday were fantastic, really helped when the queue got slightly bigger and I never waited more than 5 mins ;D

To be fair to the park, even EP have added little bits of metal to Windjammer's airgates as they were much too wide.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2