• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

Thomas said:
Was Thirteen added to the line up this year or am I going mad?

TH13TEEN replaced Rita when it had the technical difficulties last year, so I think they have just kept TH13TEEN on the list to allow Rita more time for testing :)

Bemused by the ERT lineup this year, it's nice that Th13teen's finally on it officially, but I'm very surprised Spinball hasn't retained its place... Hoping that changes :)

Scanning the promo image on the app is awesome though!

Spinball hasn't been on ERT for years, it apparently has a lot of trouble being ready in time for 9:00, and on numerous occasions back in the day it had to be replaced by Rita because it wasn't ready in time.

I'm not happy that Oblivion won't be open for ERT, as that was what I wanted to go on first this year :(

They should put another coaster on that list, if technical difficulties are not an issue thy should put Smiler on ERT...

Will make MAP holders and hotel guests feel more appreciated.

Rita was removed last summer when its launch cable snapped.

I find it likely that reducing its time in operation each day was a factor in the remedial work post incident.

Dave said:
They should put another coaster on that list, if technical difficulties are not an issue thy should put Smiler on ERT...

Will make MAP holders and hotel guests feel more appreciated.

This! If there aren't problems getting it open for 9am, then they should put it on ERT a few weeks after it's opened (to give it a little time to settle in). It really would make AP holders feel special which is something they have been asking about in the latest MAP survey.

:)

The extra hour every morning could also make up for it opening 2 months late! :p

Dear sirs.

I wasnt sure where to put this and i know that posting this on here would be in the wrong place but it is a question that i know will start something.

In the early 90's (possible 94) our kid he went to AT with school. As i was young i used to stare at the map that he brought back and wonder how XYZ where at the park. Now i could have dreamed this, i could be confusing this with another park but im 99% sure it was Alton Towers. It concerns the film Jurrasic Park. Im sure that at some point AT themed the river rapids around the film. Or at least some other part of the park around the film (if my memeory is currect the land rover around the track was done like the fords in JP). Please someone tell me its a dream or tell where the hell this themeing actually was.

Thank You

You are probably thinking of The Flume there :)

For a period dinosaurs inhabited the area now X-Sector (This is long before Oblivion!). I think it was when it was Fantasy World. I believe they were just a few theming props which guests used to walk around, similar to the one Drayton Manor has in its zoo.

However, after the area was redeveloped Alton moved some of the dinosaurs into the woodland area The Flume runs through, where they stayed for a couple of seasons. There's a bit about it on our guide to The Flume :)

Ian said:

For a period dinosaurs inhabited the area now X-Sector (This is long before Oblivion!). I think it was when it was Fantasy World. I believe they were just a few theming props which guests used to walk around, similar to the one Drayton Manor has in its zoo.

However, after the area was redeveloped Alton moved some of the dinosaurs into the woodland area The Flume runs through, where they stayed for a couple of seasons. There's a bit about it on our guide to The Flume :)

Maybe it was that area. But did they at any point use the Jurrasic Park. Even just for a month?

The jeep that is half in the lake as you enter the Rapids queue was stylised in a similar way to the Jurassic Park jeeps. I remember thinking it was like that myself in the mid 90s.

Josh said:
The extra hour every morning could also make up for it opening 2 months late! :p

You'll be lucky if it actually works during the main season for atleast half a day, let alone ERT aswell!

Slugjc said:
Ian said:

Maybe it was that area. But did they at any point use the Jurrasic Park. Even just for a month?

I don't think so, but we do know that Jurassic Park was a heavy inspiration for Alton Towers during the 1990's. See Nemesis for example...

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Slugjc said:
Ian said:

I don't think so, but we do know that Jurassic Park was a heavy inspiration for Alton Towers during the 1990's. See Nemesis for example...

And the wire fencing in X-Sector (with the flashing lights) is straight outta Jurassic Park...

And the wire fencing in X-Sector (with the flashing lights) is straight outta Jurassic Park...
[/quote]
[/quote]

itwas too early for x-sector but it could have been. Im positive it was there though.

I remember going to see the Oblivion construction site when it was being built, and thinking this has got to have something to do with Jurassic Park, sadly I was wrong, but we still got one of the most intimidating rides in the world.

Ian

Slugjc said:

itwas too early for x-sector but it could have been. Im positive it was there though.
The wire fences surrounding Oblivion, X Sector and th drop zone were all built when Oblivion and X Sector arrived in the park. Whilst the area before this did have some large dinosaur props, they were not surrounded by metal fencing or any kind of theming that is there today.

The area with dinosaurs had nothing to do with X Sector.