• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013 park map

It's fantastic as a souvenir to hang on a wall. But to navigate around the park, this is terrible. It's incredibly cluttered and you can barely see Enterprise. The Smiler does look great on its own but the whole map definitely doesn't. Just look how small the farm looks!

And also, what are these Hotel Habbo maps everyone is talking about? Are they the isometric ones?

Looks like oblivion is part of The Smiler, if the gave oblivion actual b&m track or a highlight of orange the would look like separate rides.

Fredward said:
Looks like oblivion is part of The Smiler, if the gave oblivion actual b&m track or a highlight of orange the would look like separate rides.

I think you're onto something! The Smiler must be the worlds first coaster to join up with another coaster of a different make to form two coasters in one! The map certainly implies as such, it must be!!!

;)

All I've got to say it seems the maps are getting bigger but more cramped up, but it's basically just pretty pictures not just a map like 2008. But on a whole I like it :)

BowMan said:
And also, what are these Hotel Habbo maps everyone is talking about? Are they the isometric ones?

Basically they looked like this:

2005map.jpg

Very basic indeed, however the most practical map we've had for a long time in my opinion :)

*Image courtesy of TowersTimes

The trouble that Alton has is that unlike some other parks its map needs to be practical. Not only is the park on a massive scale but there are no central/obvious mid-ways for guests to naturally walk along.

Places like Thorpe Park can get away without a practical (or even tasteful ;) ) map because it has neither of these problems.

I do agree with Tim, towers is a place where a practical map is needed, every visit I take I always see a group of people looking very lost wondering into the gardens or some off route path with a map in their hands. If you have never been to towers before the current map, and the past few really wouldnt help you at all!

I also think the hotels need removing off the map completely, put it on the back or something! It takes up far too much room and 99% of the visitors dont care!

In other news, the new pirate show is called "The kidnap of Lady Victoria Sponge", could this mean we are seeing some changes to the pirate show cast?

I always loved those maps. They can be use for navigation, look good and actually have a sense of scale. I've never understood why some people don't like them to be honest.

The 2008-2010 map was the best one. You had the best of both worlds, a visually busy map that makes a very nice poster - and a useful map that clearly defines each area and the basic paths you can use to navigate around the park.

The current monstrosity of a map just doesn't provide what it is meant to.

In terms of ease of navigating the park, the Habbo-style maps were good and clear - they also showed the scale of the park relatively well. In graphic terms, they seem a bit basic to me. The current one's got good graphics, but there's too much going on, the scale of the park is poor, it's difficult to navigate, and the hotels are TOO BIG! Move the hotels to another section of the map for a start, ensure that the paths make it easier to see what's connected to what, make sure that scale's better represented (for example, Thirteen and Air are NOT a couple of minutes' walk from each other - not even with the Skyride!), put Oblivion the right way around...I hope that these are things that Towers will think about when the next redesign comes (hopefully) next year.

One issue no-one seems to have mentioned yet is that the entrance to Smiler is not clearly marked on the map. Also the smilers station is right next to the farm. Many people will not think twice as to weather the smiler is in X-Sector or the farm, as often people don't consider theming.

You watch, start of the season therewill be a group of people stood in the dung heap playground asking where the smiler is! The park really need to consider making sure the park maps differentiate between each area.

;)

I just love how Oblivion's drop has shrunk and Sonic Spinball has managed to lose half its track according to previous years!

Feeling sorry for the first timers who will be trying to get from th13teen to air, wondering what submission and enterprise are, and getting lost due tp the poor layout.

LiamC said:
BowMan said:

Basically they looked like this:

2005map.jpg

Very basic indeed, however the most practical map we've had for a long time in my opinion :)

*Image courtesy of TowersTimes
Couldn't agree more its simple but practical, what a map should be like

The problem with the Habbo style maps, they are easy to understand, but make the park look very boring, and if anything very empty, with hardly any rides! They need to find the right balance.

As a lot of people have said, they could have reduced the amount of space taken up by the hotel complex drastically, and used that space to spread out the other attractions a bit more which would make it a lot clearer for visitors, as well as allowing them to still keep the new-fangled graphics of the rides. I suppose the 'Resort' image has to come first though ;)

Simply, there's way too much going on in that map for the average guest.

At a casual glance this map looks good....but in every other respect it is DREADFUL.

What they don't seem to realise is having a crappy map is inevitably going to cause a dip in guest satisfaction levels, which is hardly surprising if first timers spend an hour navigating the gardens before they find Rita because they thought it was next to Air.