• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013 park map

electricBlll said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Lazy, lazy, LAZY.
It's not really Alton Towers being lazy, since they don't even make the map; they commission professional graphics firms to do it and are probably on a three-year contract. Obviously they would brief the designer on what they want, so they exaggerated style is down to Alton Towers, but the overall look of the map is determined by the company. They have still had to contact the graphics company to update their old design, so they aren't being lazy by not bothering to do anything.

And they've done a great job. Previous maps have had so little detail or characteristic representation that you wonder if the artist had ever been to Alton Towers. Whereas now you are constantly noticing little details they have hidden and it feels less sterile. This is definitely one of my favourite maps, although I liked the trilogy from 2008-2010 slightly better because of the variation of colours each year.

It seems most people on here dislike it because they expect others to be confused, not because they are confused themselves. Empathy is good but I think the guests complain enough themselves! I just enjoy the brilliant artwork.

Fair enough....but have have you seen what they have done to Oblivion on the map?

For that sole reason alone the designer should be shot and the map condemned.

Also, functionality is far more important than artsy fartsy flair when it comes to an Alton Towers map. The place is just far to big for it not to have at least something which gives a half good indication of scale.

Reading this thread is like reading back on Towerstimes a year ago.

I started yawning on the first post.

:p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Here is the full version of the 2013 Towers' Map:

TowersMap2013_zpsf4d92290.jpg

As expected there are several changes from the version seen in The Sun. The Burger Kitchen in CCL has indeed had its colours changed on the map. And there are noticeable changes to the paths around Fountain Square. It makes the Towers look slightly less imposing but does make the paths there much clearer which is good. There are also modifications the the size and angle of the gardens and the valley which is again better than previous versions. Air doesn't look quite so close to Thirteen.

EDIT: After comparing the 2012 and 2013 maps, they have done their best to make paths clearer on this years version. It's still not great but it is an improvement.

:)

It looks like it is in a different aspect ratio to the previous years, hence the adjustments of the ride positions. This suggests a new map shape/size perhaps? Oops, no it isn't, my hardcopy map just looked a lot wider.

Also most of the trees have changed or removed to make paths clearer.

And look at that starry sky! Magic... :twirly:

Excellent. A big improvement on the sun's version. Paths clear, and as Rob says, Air isn't too close to Th13teen.

I like the forest between FV & DF too. the towers look great, granted, less imposing, but better I think.

I think the map is going to be the same shape, but I guess we'll find that out for sure tomorrow. One thing they have done is reduce the space taken up by the hotels and golf etc. So they've certainly tried to address some of the previous issues.

I like the name, it's different. Better than "Air Shop", "Thirteen Shop" or "Rita Shop" at least.

Toggling between 2012 and 2013, you can see that every path is now bigger, and the area just above the Gardens has been totally redrawn. The hotels are much smaller, Forbidden Valley has been shifted, Dark Forest is higher and anything near The Smiler has been squashed. Also it may have been posted elsewhere but the Mutiny Bay show is now "Kidnap of Lady Victoria Sponge".

2013 is perhaps my favourite map of recent years, the crazier the better. Because I love being lost in Alton Towers anyway.

Posted this in the construction topic also, but the smiler has otsr's in the map... I genuinely thought this would have significance until I noticed that Rita has no restraints at all!!

Smiler shop name would make a lot of sense given what we've seen so far: Play The Smiler, Ride The Smiler, Buy The Smiler... Makes a lot of sense to me, and yeah, beats all the other ride shop names :)

(and obviously I love the map - the park's impossible to navigate for a newbie at the best of time, why not make it pretty?! :))

It actually has at least a tinge of navigational sense to it this time - the paths are all visible and they've finally reduced the size of the resort stuff at the top.

GAGrathea said:
Smiler shop name would make a lot of sense given what we've seen so far: Play The Smiler, Ride The Smiler, Buy The Smiler... Makes a lot of sense to me, and yeah, beats all the other ride shop names :)

True! Still not a patch on X-Cell, Katanga Cargo, Towers Trading or Spooks-R-Us though. But definitely better than "The Smiler Shop" would have been.

I like they've made the paths more well defined in some way, good work by Alton Towers. :)

I can't provide a link (on a mobile device) however Shawn Sanbrooke has uploaded a picture on Facebook of some The Smiler merch, also some maps. The maps in his picture advertise The Smiler opening in May. This confirms that Alton Towers have created a different version of the map to be used up to May.

James said:
I like they've made the paths more well defined in some way, good work by Alton Towers. :)

I can't provide a link (on a mobile device) however Shawn Sanbrooke has uploaded a picture on Facebook of some The Smiler merch, also some maps. The maps in his picture advertise The Smiler opening in May. This confirms that Alton Towers have created a different version of the map to be used up to May.

Not necessarily, I can still be the map they use all year. In my opinion if they were to change the map, The Sanctuary would have been on the current one

Well I'm glad this has changed. Massive improvement of the paths, gardens and that it looks less cluttered. :) Also, is The Sanctuary going to be on the map or just be sigposted on park?