• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
James said:
The speakers may be there for Alton Towers Live.

I'm willing to bet that this is the case. Surely with this just around the corner, it's more likely to be due to an event that would need sound-testing anyway?

I don't understand why we're presuming that this is because of 2014 changes. I can't see Merlin planning sound-tests this far ahead.

I think people have perhaps missed what I quoted from the picture:

Sound tests have been taking place around Storybook Land over the past 2 days ahead of the 2014 family development for the area. Various speakers can be seen around Squirrel Nutty and the old ice arena

The Squirrel Nutty is outside where the arena for AT Live is going to be and the Ice Arena is nowhere near it. I'm not saying they are for the 2014 developments, the above is just what has been stipulated by the original poster of the picture, however these don't seem to be in or near where the arena will be.

I see your point, but if they're close to this house by the main gates then surely they'll just be checking the park perimeter anyway?

Does anyone have any ideas yet on which IP they are going with ?(if they are actually going with an IP or if the area hasn't been pushed back to 2015). I think they will go with an area that will appeal to parents to bring younger kids like Thomas land has done for Drayton and one that has massive merchandise potential. They could go with an IP that's not yet appeared at any park around the world, or the below two options have yet to appear at a UK park that have done well in other countries

Sesame Street: Currently features at Port Aventura, Bush Gardens parks and Universal parks outside America- Would be very easy to retheme current attractions (port Aventura has arial monorail ride and tractor ride) plus they seem be themed to fit in with style of park ie Busch Gardens tampa has a safari theme. Plus massive merchandise opportunity

DreamWorks Animation: Features at Universal parks (single rides in American parks) and new area recently opened at DreamWorks in Aus, plus agreements have been signed for other areas at new parks set to be built around the world. Loads of options with the different movies, plus Merlin already have some agreements with DreamWorks. Could be an area based on one movie or better option would be like the dream world version with different small areas based on different films.

Loony Toons: As featured at six flags parks is another possibility, but somehow cant see that fitting in at Alton as well as two areas above.

As well as re-theming current attractions as minimum I think they need to add a new kids coaster, a new show and one or two more themed kids/family flat rides.

The speakers will have nothing at all to do with Alton Towers Live. They could be to do with next year, although it seems a strange time to be testing/planning for next year. You'd like to think that everything is set in stone by now!

:)

I can see Alton Towers going for a television IP. They already have a book IP (Charlie), a game IP (Sonic) and a film IP (Ice Age) so I think a television IP will be Alton's next aim. It would round off better for completeness - and for a whole themed area, a TV IP will have more flexibility in terms of how they can change and adapt to new series and episodes as the park seasons go on.

Thomas Land was a massive success for Drayton and W&G seems to be working equally as well at Blackpool (as well as Nickelodeon Land) - so it wouldn't surprise me if Alton Towers have looked at parks like that so they can decide what type of IP to go for. Depending on the TV show they go for it can allow for a wide range of attractions and shows.

With that in mind, I'm not up-to-date on what's popular with kids these days. :p There's a lot out there so it's not like Alton Towers will be stuck with choices.

Rob said:
The speakers will have nothing at all to do with Alton Towers Live. They could be to do with next year, although it seems a strange time to be testing/planning for next year. You'd like to think that everything is set in stone by now!

They might have everything already set in stone. I would assume sound testing is not that much of a worry. Especially as it is flexible to be changed last minute if need be.

Although saying that, we all remember how Shrek/Dreamworks went down the pan in 2011 - lets hope the same doesn't happen in 2014! I would hope though Alton Towers have got the IP for next year all secured.

I hope they will go with a very British IP :)

As for the noise tests, the ice show PA system was one of the issues put forward by the Ropers as part of their noise complaint. I reckon they are looking at how any show type audio will affect noise outside the park.

I'm sure we will see 2014 movement soon, but its obviously not going to be a project aimed at our demographic.

^ Very, but Universal have it tightly under their control.

I have no idea what IP they'd choose, but it wouldn't surprise me if they returned to the Shrek idea, despite it being a dying franchise.

josht said:
How popular is this Despicable Me with kids

Pretty popular, but remember there's a Despicable Me ride at Universal Studios.

I'm pretty sure that the IP will be one that's quintessentially British. It's just hard to think of one that would be relevant to kids of today. I could see a Beatrix Potter theme working - Squirrel Nutty would become Squirrel Nutkin, and the farm could be Mr McGregors farm, for example. But I don't know whether kids even care about Beatrix Potter anymore.

Beatrix Potter's works are still extremely popular all over the world and an immersive area dedicated to the stories would probably do very well. Not much would need to be done to what's currently in Storybook Land and the Farmyard either, but there'd be the opportunity for some much-needed refurbishment and the possibility of the return of an Ice Show (I can only dream of it being Peter Rabbit :p ). A Beastie sized coaster where the Dung Heap is would be the only new ride they'd need to buy to really finish that area of the park off if this happened.

Plastic Person said:
Surely Doctor Who would be perfect?

I'm an absolute Doctor Who fan and love the show to bits. Although personally I would not want any theme park to create or re-theme an area around it. I doubt even a park such as Alton would be capable in pulling it off to a high standard. It's got such a rich history and has such vastness I don't think any theme park could capture this beautifully enough.

Besides, there's The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff and attraction wise personally that's as far as I ever want to see the brand go. I want theme parks to stay away from it.

I can see the IP for 2014 being based around a British kids TV show aimed at young children.

Doctor Who wouldn't work. By 'family developments', I read 'children's area'. Whatever the theme is, it'll be focused on something relevant to smaller children. Doctor Who is for a far older age bracket

BigAl said:
Beatrix Potter's works are still extremely popular all over the world and an immersive area dedicated to the stories would probably do very well. Not much would need to be done to what's currently in Storybook Land and the Farmyard either, but there'd be the opportunity for some much-needed refurbishment and the possibility of the return of an Ice Show (I can only dream of it being Peter Rabbit :p ). A Beastie sized coaster where the Dung Heap is would be the only new ride they'd need to buy to really finish that area of the park off if this happened.

Whilst I think it would make lots of sense, and it would certainly be the cheapest to pull off that I can think of (and it's also relevant to Alton's past), it seems like it would be the kind of IP that parents would take kids to as opposed to one where the kids will beg to be taken to (if that makes sense). For example, if Thomas Land at Drayton Manor was open when I was 4/5, I would be begging my mum and dad to take me. I'd pester them to no end. As much as I enjoyed Beatrix Potter when I was little (Peter Rabbit and Jemima Puddleduck were my favourites), it wouldn't be the kind of IP that would make me pester to go to. And that was around 20 years ago.

Maybe so, but that might not be the case for much longer as Nickelodeon have been creating a new Peter Rabbit animated series since the end of last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/arts/television/peter-rabbit-on-nickelodeon-for-christmas-then-as-series.html?_r=0

The new look is much more appealing to kids used to shows on Cartoon Network, CBBC and Disney, etc... Just look at how great these look:

06RABBIT-articleLarge.jpg

jprabbit2-popup.jpg

It's not something that appeals just to kids as generations have grown-up with these stories and characters. I posted not long ago about the fact that over two million Beatrix Potter books are sold each year, and there's a lot of opportunities for merchandise with it all too. Nickelodeon are already used to working in theme parks and have already worked with Alton Towers once before.

But I've just remembered that staff from Alton Towers asked someone on here for their peter Rabbit on Ice footage not long ago. I wonder what that was for?

*crosses fingers* :p

I agree with the BP ip idea from all the posts I have read it seems to be the best idea for the farm and storybook land as little work would need to be done. Plus has the lasting appeal like Thomas its a brand passed down through the family. Maybe if AT need to do something with moshi monsters use adventure land and keep it separate so it will be easy to re theme when popularity dies of.

Though Alton have had a good track record of creating good themes they just seem to be unable to maintain them to a high standard and exploit commercially. Their other problem is they seem to manage to ruin an area by adding a ride that don't really fit excluding the re theme of blade into FV but then they add air which sticks out like a sore thumb. X sector which worked well but The Smiler now makes it look disjointed. As for the dark Forest that just fails on many levels. Then you have the headache of the log flume Mutiny brilliant Re theme but doesn't tie it in entrance in the wrong place for KC then you have the Haunted hollow next to it just makes it hard to theme when replaced or refurbished with being so close to all 3.

Sorry second bit was slightly of topic but examples of how AT seem to ruin a Good theme but at the same time shows how well they can get them right to start of with without having to buy someone else brand.

BigAl said:
Maybe so, but that might not be the case for much longer as Nickelodeon have been creating a new Peter Rabbit animated series since the end of last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/arts/television/peter-rabbit-on-nickelodeon-for-christmas-then-as-series.html?_r=0

The new look is much more appealing to kids used to shows on Cartoon Network, CBBC and Disney, etc... Just look at how great these look:

06RABBIT-articleLarge.jpg

jprabbit2-popup.jpg

It's not something that appeals just to kids as generations have grown-up with these stories and characters. I posted not long ago about the fact that over two million Beatrix Potter books are sold each year, and there's a lot of opportunities for merchandise with it all too. Nickelodeon are already used to working in theme parks and have already worked with Alton Towers once before.

But I've just remembered that staff from Alton Towers asked someone on here for their peter Rabbit on Ice footage not long ago. I wonder what that was for?

*crosses fingers* :p

No! A thousand times no! Why would anyone do that? Is there nothing that they won't reboot with a pointless CG animated version now? The whole appeal of Beatrix Potter's work and the brand associated with her is its classic, authentic feel. The stories and illustrations are timeless and don't require a tacky reinvention such as this.

It's taking classic children's literature and turning it into another expendable franchise that maybe has a shelf life of a decade or so. I would hate for Alton to use this sort of IP.

In fact, the top image reminds me of this:

watchmen-babies-in-v-for-vacation-large-high-res-comic-cover-updated.png

I think IF they go for a IP, it will be more likely to be a large IP such as a TV channel or a big brand, just like Nickelodeon which has no end of shows/films that can easierly be turned into rides or shows, and can always be added to and changed over time, and Thomas Land, which has no end of characters, scenes, etc, which once again can be turned into rides/shows.

If you pick one IP e.g Wallace and Gromit, you would struggle to have a whole area to that one IP, but like at Blackpool it works fine on one ride.

Finally the area/rides have got to appear to young and older children, like Nick Land does.

So I'm thinking we will see a big and famous Kids TV channel such as CBBC or CITV (I would say Cartoon Network, but Drayton also have that!), both of which have no end of TV shows, that appeal to young and old children.

djtruefitt said:
I think IF they go for a IP, it will be more likely to be a large IP such as a TV channel or a big brand, just like Nickelodeon which has no end of shows/films that can easierly be turned into rides or shows, and can always be added to and changed over time, and Thomas Land, which has no end of characters, scenes, etc, which once again can be turned into rides/shows.

If you pick one IP e.g Wallace and Gromit, you would struggle to have a whole area to that one IP, but like at Blackpool it works fine on one ride.

Finally the area/rides have got to appear to young and older children, like Nick Land does.

So I'm thinking we will see a big and famous Kids TV channel such as CBBC or CITV (I would say Cartoon Network, but Drayton also have that!), both of which have no end of TV shows, that appeal to young and old children.

Whilst CBBC is a great idea, I really cant see the BBC allowing it......what with them having to be impartial to everything

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.