• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Zak said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but I think the franchise is pretty much dead now. I haven't heard or seen Crash around for ages!
Would agree crash has kind of been forgot about, it was big but not now.

Whatever Towers go for with an IP it needs to be current, relevant to kids of today, but not too garish as to ruin the authenticity of the farm (I can but hope on that last point at any rate!).

I can't see anything re: Crash Bandicoot... looks like the last main game (according to Wikipedia - known for its facts!!) was released in 2008.

As much as I love the Crash Bandicoot franchise, it would simply not work as an IP. Alton Towers need something a bit more current and popular, that's not to say Crash Bandicoot is unpopular, but they can find something more known in today's market.

It's a shame that most of the good IPs are already taken. Although hopefully if this is being planned in advance (which I would assume they are) they should be able to bag a decent enough IP. I can't really say I'm that up to date with kids TV shows these days!

I feel like the park should take a look at this, and realising they're missing a trick. Why pay for rights to an IP, when they can create their own storyline, and pay for this character to be developed into an IP. It's what Efteling have done with Raveleijn and Pardoes.

What Alton needs is a pro-active character with attitude, one that gets bu-say, figuratively and literally.

Poochie.gif

Quetzal said:
I feel like the park should take a look at this, and realising they're missing a trick. Why pay for rights to an IP, when they can create their own storyline, and pay for this character to be developed into an IP. It's what Efteling have done with Raveleijn and Pardoes.

Because Efteling is a Mecca to the people of Holland. That place is adored over there and if Aquanura gets such publicity on TV etc. the characters can clearly be endorsed publicly. It just wouldn't stand up nowadays to create a character and then try and flog it as a TV programme, I don't think.

Don't stray from the original Storybook theme too far; just use British kids' literature and add favourite book characters around the area. Squirrel Nutty would be perfect for so many books... Enid Blyton characters such as Noddy are still very popular and I think that the Famous Five is read by many youngsters.

The Psychoaster said:
Not any of the Enid Blyton characters please - this will be 2014 not 1954!

Completly agree with you there! :D

I think IP's have to be used wisely. CATCF and Ice Age are both good examples of this (my feelings of CATCF non withstanding) as they tie in very well with the type of rides they're used on.

I wish Beatrix Potter were more recent - my love affair with the Peter Rabbit series was borderline obsessional as a child! Such magic... *wistful gazing into the distance*

BUT YES. Towers must absolutely hit upon a contemporary, mass appealing IP that has the potential to relate to almost every family in the UK. Quite what that is, I don't know! I'd be tempted to say there's not a single character, show or series that would be able to cover such a huge area (that hasn't already been nabbed elsewhere).

Something like Nickland at Blackpool & Movie Park Germany would be ideal; an overall IP that covers an absolute multitude of programs, able to attract girls and boys of a wide age by using lots of different brands within the umbrella IP.

Sazzle said:
I wish Beatrix Potter were more recent - my love affair with the Peter Rabbit series was borderline obsessional as a child! Such magic... *wistful gazing into the distance*

BUT YES. Towers must absolutely hit upon a contemporary, mass appealing IP that has the potential to relate to almost every family in the UK. Quite what that is, I don't know! I'd be tempted to say there's not a single character, show or series that would be able to cover such a huge area (that hasn't already been nabbed elsewhere).

Something like Nickland at Blackpool & Movie Park Germany would be ideal; an overall IP that covers an absolute multitude of programs, able to attract girls and boys of a wide age by using lots of different brands within the umbrella IP.
Ohhh I miss petter rabbit on ice at towers, I loved it as a child :)

Now I feel required to dig out my complete collection of Peter Rabbit books :p

It's such a shame it would probably go over most children's heads these days, along with Wind In The Willows stories. They'd be the perfect IP for Towers, with endless potential. Heck, they already have one ride done for them! I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to change the signage of Squirrel Nutty to Squirrel Nupkin!

I think a Beatrix Potter themed area would still work. Going for something that's in fashion now may be risky in the long run, whereas using the works of Beatrix Potter would appeal to people for much longer. Many generations adore her tales and introducing younger generations to them would be fantastic in my opinion.

People from all over the world come to the Lake District to see where she lived and what inspired her stories, so creating a themed land to allow people to experience the stories first hand would be amazing!

A quote from the Peter Rabbit/Beatrix Potter website:

They have never lost their popularity. Today more than two million Beatrix Potter books are sold every year worldwide – which is four books every minute!
I think that speaks for itself! :)

Also, there is so much that they can do with merchandise too. They can sell the books, plush toys, clothing, the film based on the life of Beatrix Potter, any DVDs of her stories brought to life in animated form, audio books, etc... They could even have a tea room! :D

Plus I would give anything to see Peter Rabbit on Ice again! :(

Edit: I decided to have a look at some of the tales again and see how they could fit in with the current attractions in the two areas:

• Old MacDonald's Farm can become Mr Piperson’s Farm and Adventure Land can become the village where Mr. McGregor lives.
  • The Squirrel Nutty ride can be renamed to Squirrel Nutkin. Some of the cars can also be painted to look like Timmy and Goody Tiptoes as well.
  • The old tent can be replaced with a new one to make way for the return of Peter Rabbit on Ice.
  • The old store reopens, stocked with a vast range of Beatrix Potter related merchandise.
  • Sonic Spinball becomes Roly-poly Pudding Coaster, themed to the tale of Samuel Whiskers trying to turn Tom Kitten and his freinds (the riders) into dinner! :p
  • Spinball Noodles can become the bakery that Peter Rabbit's mother visits.
  • Reopen the story telling area and allow children to sit and hear the many stories that beatrix Potter created, as well as give them a chance to meet some of the characters from the Ice Show.
  • Berry Bish Bash can become the tale of Hunca Munca and Tomb Thumb running riot inside a Doll's House.
  • River Bank Eye Spy can be turned into the story of Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny and Mr Tod coming together to find Benjamin's children who've been kidnapped by Tommy Brock the badger.
  • The outdoor cafe can be turned into Mrs Tiggy Winkle's Teas.
  • The Dung Heap maze can be themed as the hunt for Jemima Puddle-Duck's eggs.
  • Doodle Doo Derby can be refreshed but remain more or less the same as it's still within a farm area.
  • The Singing Barn could be given new characters or be replaced with more Furry Friends? :p
  • Beastie and the Space Adventures play ground can be replaced with a new Peter Rabbit themed roller coaster. It could be based around Peter's escape from Mr McGregor’s garden (I won't plug my No Limits coaster based on this story which I designed for the area last year ;) ). Something like a compact custom Gerstlauer or Vekoma Junior coaster would work well.

It's only hit me today that potentially 2014 Themed area if IP based could be themed around Moshi Monsters!

They're all the trend at the minute and look asif they're here to stay too! And with Alton signing a contract well Merlin using them at tower sites too It seems a plausible idea to have them. Also it would be a first Moshi Monster themed land.

Good point, maybe having them just far half term is trialling it to see how we'll received it is :)

That's exactly what I was thinking basically seeing it as a trial. But yeah I know Merlin signed a contract with them and previously are or going to have them at Chessington too but some thing tells me they had them last season? Also the IP has bought 6 costume characters too I think!

Yeah they will have all 6 characters there, the first time ever as well so they're expecting children from all over the country to want to come and meet them :)

I was also thinking along the same lines.

There will also be 'Moshi rooms' in the hotels over half term. Would fit in well if they are testing how well received it is. Quite a good IP if they did go for it. It's current, very popular and would last a good few years at Alton Towers.

If I'm honest, I'd love to see more of a push on Alton's own IPs. Algenon now being really pushed in ATH is just a start of what could even be a whole family of characters. Algenon, Lucy, Snorlix, Ma Garitta, The Paradise Plumbers to name a few.

If they developed a "representative" for each place it could make them have a really successful range.

So:

-Algenon and his powers of adventure and exploration. (Primarily based in ATH)

-Ma Garitta/Paradise Plumbers and their powers of water, whackiness and fun. (Primarily based in Splash)

- Some form of pixie/goblin/dwarf or sprite with the powers of mystical discovery and magic. (Primarily based in the lodges area)

Then we have a host of characters from the park...

-Dr Nicholas Rudgens, Hex hag, TH13teen girl, The Lord of Darkness, The Smiler crew and Captain black. Who resemble the villains.

- Squirrel Nutty, Snorlix, Clarissa, Darryl, Fin the shark, Lucy, Reginald, Katanga Explorers and Lollipop lady. They resemble the park's "goodies". Also, bring back Bunbury but a younger version of the wizard.

With ALL of these own characters created for Alton, they could really push their own IP. With characters crossing over to resort side and vice versa.

A show could even be put on with these characters at the bottom of TS and could involve many of them (this idea is off the top off my head as an example) "As lucy and the gang prepare for the biggest surprise celebration for Sir A on his return from his later adventure the resort is alive with festivity. However, Captain Black and Dr Nick are ready to use every force of evil to turn the celebration into a trap to make Alton Towers a nightmare to never be forgotten. With the help of Ma Garrita, Fin and all Lucy's friends, can they save the party?"

<censored> I know but it's an example of how they can push the IPs. They have so much potential with focus on the villains for Halloween, certain characters with a christmas twist, summer time focus etc. It would work if they just took risks and hopefully with the introduction of themed rooms around Sir A, the X-Sector re-boot and the new lodges, their IP and time to act is at it's strongest.

So, back on topic, I'd love the 2014 theme of the lodges to be their own IP and story. Some forest sprites on folklore or something. Maybe characters like the whisps from brave? Friendly, mystical, fun and full of personality?

I really hope they don't go for an IP as tacky and uninspiring as Moshi Monsters for the replacement of one or more of the three kids areas at the front of the park! I think I'd cry if an area as magical and original as Storybook Land or Old MacDonald's Farmyard was replaced with something like that!

Why spend so much retheming an area or two to a kids fad that will undoubtedly be replaced in a year or so with yet another fad? At least replace it all with something that won't be forgotten easily that also appeals to the whole family.

Storybook Land will be in its 16th season this year and the Farmyard in it's current form (though it opened in 1989, it became Old MacDonald's Farm in 1995) is in its 17th season. They need to think about how IPs fare in the long term, because something like Moshi Monsters won't. I seriously doubt kids in 16 to 17 years will still be playing it.

They probably won't even know what it is.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.