• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I didn't realise Thomas was a big thing right now, I thought it was just something that endured, or was there a film or something when Thomas Land was made?

Blaze said:
I didn't realise Thomas was a big thing right now, I thought it was just something that endured, or was there a film or something when Thomas Land was made?

Thomas & Friends is still on TV, and the toys are as popular as ever. My friend's four year old son is obsessed with Thomas, and lots of people I know have kids who love it. Thomas has remained popular thanks to being a kid's franchise done right, to the point where I don't think there's ever been a real lull in it's popularity. There's been a fairly constant TV series since the days of Ringo Starr, with constantly updated toylines, books and everything else kids love.

Beatrix Potter, on the other hand, hasn't really evolved (what with her being dead for decades) - aside from some short animated films in the 90's (which is what I really remember from Beatrix Potter in my childhood), and this new CGI show, nothing substantial has really arisen from the IP.

Whatever replaces Storybook Land and / or Old MacDonald's Farmyard, the chances of it being as good as either of them or extremely remote. I suggest to anyone that still thinks those two areas were never any good take some time to watch this clip from the 1998 Alton Towers Image Bank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHmk4PuW3vM#

Once upon a time, family areas could be enjoyed by the entire family, and IPs at theme parks weren't as feared. :p

The issue Alton Towers have with family areas is in someways they try to be too clever for their budgets. Take Charlie as an example, when Toyland Tours was installed there was NO ride hardware to be acquired. They just stripped out the old scenes and installed new ones. With Charlie Towers where so obsessed with the technology for the elevators that the whole budget was lost to those and the theming went to hell.

Oakwood 2013 is a perfect example, they acquired rides on the very cheap so the budget could go into adding some nice theming. I hope for 2014 that they have got some cute, new but cheap kiddy rides and the budget is being spent on theming. One big bonus with IP's though is the park has to meet standards set by the IP owner so i am hopeful as the IP has a reputation.

I'm not so upset about the loss of Story-book land, it always seemed an odd little anex to me (if cute) even when i was a kid. I am a little sad to be seeing the farm change though as that area is i think one of the best themed on park (if a little tatty now).

images

^That + the Moshi event + Popular IP + Towers wanting an IP may = Moshi Monsters

I hope when the IP is revealed, people will remember it's aimed at kids and not us. I can't help but feel that unless it's something we instantly identify with, it'll be passed off as 'crap'.

If a park as small as Oakwood can make a well-themed family area (that appeals to everyone in the family rather than just young children) with a timeless IP that's not in-your-face with bright colours and endless amounts of overpriced merchandise, Alton Towers shouldn't really have much of a problem. Right?

Right!?

I don't think it'll be Moshi Monsters, anyway. The franchise might be too old for a normal kids area, and would be better suited with rides for older children.

It's a shame Alton Towers never took their Cloud Cukoo Land characters further. They could have made some pretty great rides and theming based on creatures such as Snorlix and developed a new and original world for them to live in.

Instead, Alton Towers are moving their focus to another area that would have been fine, had they kept it maintained correctly and kept the ice shows going (would have required a new tent, but the shows were popular enough for further investment to be worthwhile).

Storybook Land should have been expanded, Cloud Cukoo Land should have been Cloud Cukoo Land rather than a horrible concoction of clashing themes and ideas, and the Farmyard could have been left as-is if they'd bothered to keep it presentable. Anything new should go in a new area as there are many places that the park haven't touched that are suitable for young children's areas.

People complain about other parks not celebrating their classic attractions. Alton Towers seems to escape any flack, yet they hardly ever make sure new rides work with old rides, ensure they retheme old rides properly or maintain the aesthetics of their old rides. Other parks would kill for areas like Storybook Land and Old MacDonald's Farmyard, but they try their hardest with what money they have. Instead of looking after what they have, it seems they're all to up for ripping attractions out and doing something else. The figures thrown around for the cost of attractions at Merlin's theme parks should mean that the attractions are incredibly well-themed, but they never are. Come a few seasons time, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever replaces these two areas starts to fall apart in the same way as the theming in the Dark Forest has.

I'll be extremely sad to see both of these areas go. Those attractions were my childhood (as well as Festival Park / Ug Land, Land of Makebelieve / Cred Street and Adventure Land, pre-Spinball, but those areas have all been tampered with but not actually improving) and it's why I'm so concerned about their replacement not being anywhere near as fun, immersive or lovable, no matter how old you may be. I remember all of those areas very well, so it isn't just myself and others looking at things through rose-tinted anythings. The evidence out there is more than enough to prove just how good Alton's family areas used to be; proof that they CAN (or could) make areas that appeal to a wide range of guests.

Oh, and I see that the Alton Towers Hotel still offers Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny themed rooms. The IP must still have something if those rooms have lasted all this time? :S

BigAl said:
I'll be extremely sad to see both of these areas go. Those attractions were my childhood (as well as Festival Park / Ug Land, Land of Makebelieve / Cred Street and Adventure Land, pre-Spinball,

They can't keep static areas just for sentimentality, there isn't a park i know that havn't said goodbye to old favorites when the time is right. The paddling pool and Childrens world, Talbot Street and the original Adventureland where my childhood but they had to go.

As said i wish they where not tampering with The Farm if thats the plan as i think that is a timeless area, storybook land and Adventureland however are ripe for updating.... I just hope Towers actually do a good theme that is high in quality (worry they wont). I actually have faith they will have the right IP though, i think they learned from Shrek.

Change is obviously necessary sometimes, but attractions like the Farmyard and Storybook Land are two of the most immersive and beautiful areas that the park have ever built, and getting rid of them seems like a bad idea to me. Especially taking into account the recent track record of "improvements". Storybook Land is a perfect base theme to expand upon, and throwing it out, to me, seems foolish. :/

BigAl said:
Change is obviously necessary sometimes, but attractions like the Farmyard and Storybook Land are two of the most immersive and beautiful areas that the park have ever built, and getting rid of them seems like a bad idea to me. Especially taking into account the recent track record of "improvements".

I do worry what we will get wont be as visually stunning, though i'm hoping the IP will ensure a level of quality.

We will have to wait and see.

If the IP isn't similar in thematic styling to the current land then I do worry that the park will simply rip off facades, and add new brightly coloured ones.

I only got to experience the Farmyard for the first time this half term, and it was much more atmospheric than I had been lead to believe. Surely there's a way the area could maintain it's charm with the addition of an IP? I'm doubtful that IP would be Beatrix Potter, as I really do feel that the brand is long past it's peak, but if a similar IP could be found then I'd worry less.

Poison Tom 96 said:
images

^That + the Moshi event + Popular IP + Towers wanting an IP may = Moshi Monsters
Please God no. I hate moshi monsters. Its all my sisters badger on about nowadays. I would prefer the Beatrix potter IP. Or even better just update the area like painting it to look nice again.

I don't know, but I hear they like agressive dancing to hard rock music.

alee298 said:
Please God no. I hate moshi monsters. Its all my sisters badger on about nowadays.

Exactly why it would be a popular and successful IP! ;)

Don't worry Moshi Monsters isn't going to be the IP.

Though it did great for Towers at Feb half-term

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.