• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: General Discussion

It's difficult to be positive about repaints and shop refurbishments when the negatives are actually hitting your wallet (such as the whopping price hikes in Woodcutters). At the end of the day, the bad taste left by the latter far outweighs the positives of the former.

Sam said:
It's difficult to be positive about repaints and shop refurbishments when the negatives are actually hitting your wallet (such as the whopping price hikes in Woodcutters). At the end of the day, the bad taste left by the latter far outweighs the positives of the former.

It really winds me up that the whole of F&B have really managed to completely mess up nearly every aspect of their operation.

And negated a lot of the positives at the park in the process!

Dave said:
It really winds me up that the whole of F&B have really managed to completely mess up nearly every aspect of their operation.

It is a massive shame. Refurbs and on-street ents are great, but if F&B hit you in the wallet, then it totally overshadows any positive improvements made. Towers need to do something about F&B and very quickly, it is a pretty dreadful department (as well as Woodcutters and Mexican, the customer service at F&B is always the worst on park... staff are so slow compared to rides staff).

Sam said:
The customer service at F&B is always the worst on park... staff are so slow compared to rides staff.

Have to agree with this, not putting too much stock in certain ride team performance from opening day, but generally through a season I find this very true.

As for the earlier question re the drink thing - he explained they don't do it because they don't have a steamer, but as someone mentioned, I can make myself a Mocha at home with a kettle spoon and a couple of jars of ingredients lol!

The place just didn't have the same feel - it felt like real trouble to even ask and almost like I was stupid for not knowing. I could be wrong there, but I enjoyed Dragon Bar most of the time last season.

The other thing which was strange was that he said they didn't have any pennies, so was giving me a penny less change. Now it's a penny lol, so I'm not griping, but I was not asked if this was ok, and usually if that happens in another place, they give you more change not less so you are not left out of pocket.

To clarify, it is PENNY I am not bothered, it's more about the overall feel of the experience and product on offer.

TheMan said:
Sam said:
The customer service at F&B is always the worst on park... staff are so slow compared to rides staff.

The other thing which was strange was that he said they didn't have any pennies, so was giving me a penny less change. Now it's a penny lol, so I'm not griping, but I was not asked if this was ok, and usually if that happens in another place, they give you more change not less so you are not left out of pocket.

To clarify, it is PENNY I am not bothered, it's more about the overall feel of the experience and product on offer.

I don't like this at all. Granted it's only a penny but it's YOUR own money at the end of the day. For all they know you have paid gate entrance price to the park, top price for food/drink in the park and parking not to mention any other extras you may have gone in for. If he didn't have any pennies he should have spoken to a manager/supervisor and rectified this.

Also this would have surely left his till over come the end of the day and would have been picked up by his superiors? Perhaps not on the first occasion but should this keep occurring then it would be picked up and dealt with. Having worked on the front line in a bank and in other retail aspects I know how troublesome things like this can be.

Sam said:
Dave said:

It is a massive shame. Refurbs and on-street ents are great, but if F&B hit you in the wallet, then it totally overshadows any positive improvements made. Towers need to do something about F&B and very quickly, it is a pretty dreadful department (as well as Woodcutters and Mexican, the customer service at F&B is always the worst on park... staff are so slow compared to rides staff).

Although I have always found staff in Pizza/Pasta friendly, chatty and very welcoming. Last fireworks I thought service at Mutiny Bay Burger Kitchen was as fast as it could be given how busy they were!

Just changing the topic for a moment while I remember.

There was 1 complaint I had over opening weekend.

This was to do with the ERT system. There were no signs nothing advising people where to go, thankfully, on the Saturday morning a member of staff shouted to everyone the procedure as the gates opened, but nothing on Sunday.

Anyway, at the entrance to Mutiny Bay and to the right of the Battle Galleons are two "gates" were staff were checking for ERT, hotel and AP holders and letting them in. However, over by Spinball, was a member of staff telling people they had to head over to the left side of the park to be let in.

So, if they are putting a member of staff by Spinball to tell people this, why not just put a gate there too and check for ERT riders at this point too instead of making them walk across the front of the lake, then back across to Oblivion afterwards.

GaryH said:
So, if they are putting a member of staff by Spinball to tell people this, why not just put a gate there too and check for ERT riders at this point too instead of making them walk across the front of the lake, then back across to Oblivion afterwards.

Can only assume it's to control easier as it's a smaller area. Putting some signs up ERT ENTRANCE and a arrow would help?

GaryH said:
Just changing the topic for a moment while I remember.

There was 1 complaint I had over opening weekend.

This was to do with the ERT system. There were no signs nothing advising people where to go, thankfully, on the Saturday morning a member of staff shouted to everyone the procedure as the gates opened, but nothing on Sunday.

Anyway, at the entrance to Mutiny Bay and to the right of the Battle Galleons are two "gates" were staff were checking for ERT, hotel and AP holders and letting them in. However, over by Spinball, was a member of staff telling people they had to head over to the left side of the park to be let in.

I went today, 3 members of staff blocking off the path to x sector, then telling you to walk round by mutiny bay to get to x sector, its crazy.

Balb0wa said:
its crazy.

..and muddy if you take the shortest route back towards X Sector over the grass.

Has anyone had any luck with the Perks Machine for pass holders inside the turn styles this season ?
It's been switched off both days I've tried it and the gate staff didn't seem to know why.

I'm so with you on that one Mark. Why on earth do they direct you over the muddy grass (much of which is new turf) to get to oblivion on ERT? It truly doesn't make sense to me. There were more staff infont of the CoS entrance than the mutiny bay 'checkpoint' (by the pointless post) - why can the staff not check tickets/passes by CoS instead of MB? It's not hard.

Agree, its just bonkers. Why not have those staff checking the passes instead of telling people to go around!!!! Duuuh!

Just goes to show what a joke the ERT actually is. By the time you walk in, walk across to checkpoint charlie, walk across to Oblivion, thats about 15 minutes. Then, as no cable cars are working, to walk over to Nemmie, well, thats your ERT basically gone.

GaryH said:
Agree, its just bonkers. Why not have those staff checking the passes instead of telling people to go around!!!! Duuuh!

Just goes to show what a joke the ERT actually is. By the time you walk in, walk across to checkpoint charlie, walk across to Oblivion, thats about 15 minutes. Then, as no cable cars are working, to walk over to Nemmie, well, thats your ERT basically gone.

Enter via woodland walk, Do Nemesis, Runaway Train and work back to Oblivion & then Smiler?

Woodland walk rarely opens bang on 9, then it's a 10 min walk anyway. Last year I would say that straight to the valley is the best way to use ERT, but this year it's straight to blivvy for me, then putting us near the front for when the smiler opens.

Went on Wednesday and must say that I enjoyed it after being what seemed, a very long closed season. The park looks nice and the referbs to the shops make them look much better, especially X-Sell - the layout is much better exiting to the right rather than the left. One thing that annoyed me was that many F&B places were shut, especially the Waffles & Pancakes bit near Duel as me and the missus usually have a little snack in the afternoon.

One big upside to the whole day was that we won our meal for free in The Fried Chicken Company with the day we visited on - the 26th (also mine and the missus 7th anniversary). Can tell people don't win that often as the staff were shocked when we won and one girl even came off another till just to come over to our till and looked in awe and said well done.

All in all, a very nice and pleasant day at the resort - hopefully the first of many for this season. :D

Woodland Walk opens at 830, has done since ERT change last year.

I imagine it's to ensure consistency, that they send everyone to battle galleons. Signage would probably be good though to assist them.

Some staff near the bottom of towers street or signs would help. You see no end of people walk towards the Smiler, then get told to walk to Battle galleons. And the same on the other path towards Mutiny Bay.

Overall I think the park has done a lot this closed season, OK most of what they have done is long overdue and should be done every closed season, but it's better than most closed seasons!

Large areas of the park finally look clean and refreshed such as the entrance plaza, towers street and CCL. However Dark Forest still looks horrible.

Dunno. I follow loads of Disney things and they all class their routine maintenance as improvements and celebrate them. So we should too.