• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: General Discussion

Looks like both Chessie and Thorpe have extended their opening hours today, with Thorpe until 7pm. I think it's safe to assume that Towers remained at 5pm. You really have to question who is in charge of this at Towers as it's poor.

:)

Rob said:
Looks like both Chessie and Thorpe have extended their opening hours today, with Thorpe until 7pm. I think it's safe to assume that Towers remained at 5pm. You really have to question who is in charge of this at Towers as it's poor.

Been speaking to @Th13teenFan on Skype who was on park today. He said it closed at 5.

It's definitely (for once) not Merlin's fault, as as you said, Thorpe and Chessy keep extending closing time. It would be interesting to find out who is actually in charge.

5pm on the hottest days of the year? It's genuinely laughable - how can whoever is making these decisions justify it to themselves?

Which job role would making these decisions be included with? I'd imaging it'd be the general manager, but I could be wrong.

I believe that Park Operations are in charge of opening hours so I guess it's them. However there is currently no Head of Park Operations as they are in the middle of recruiting for one.

qysasyta.jpg

Cbeebies land has been open today for computation winners

Tom.B said:
Rob said:

Been speaking to @Th13teenFan on Skype who was on park today. He said it closed at 5.

It's definitely (for once) not Merlin's fault, as as you said, Thorpe and Chessy keep extending closing time. It would be interesting to find out who is actually in charge.

Merlin set the operating budget and the profit target, towers probably costs nearly double what Thorpe does each hour it's open, Merlin are stingy with the budget Towers have to make a choice on where it is spent.

It's a load of crap but you see it at all parks, hence why Thorpe over sell FT and run at half capacity a lot. Merlin have no vision.

Sad isnt it that such a great park is being run in such a poor manner.

And ive been thinking - the whole log cabin development, I think thats a mistake. Why? Well, just take a look around Towers and the hotels this year. The Towers, for a premium theme park, in places, are a joke. The Flume is on its last legs, Submission replaced by a lawn, cant buy ice creams on the hottest days of the year as the shops are closed, stupidly huge queues when the place is busy due to lack of rides to soak up people, hotels which are stupidly expensive and and in need of a revamp (granted, many rooms done, but still, most rooms in ATH are still the same old layout with old beds and windows which dont work properly), poor entertainment in the hotels, slow bar service, an overcrowded waterpark which needs expanding, a car park which can take up to an hour and half to exit on a peak day, early closing times of the theme park even on busy days (5pm), a crazy golf course which looks like it could do with an overhaul, need I go on.....

Yet - the UK's premium theme park, instead of spending money on improving what it has and what it offers to its customers, it instead spends money on building more accomodation, to coax more guests to stay there paying way over the odds, to visit a "resort" which is more focused on bleeding you dry than giving you an extraordinary day out.

I love Alton, always have, mainly due to its setting and memories I hold there, but it saddens me the place is just being run into the ground, with little regard for customer satisfaction and more concern for its shareholders.

I guess the trouble we have these days is that EVERYTHING is based on touchscreen KPIs.

If stuff still scores high on touchscreens they'll not bother changing anything because it's hitting it's KPI. When I left Flambo's last night (after having a lovely meal actually) the manager on the door said 'did you have a nice meal?' and upon hearing a yes immediately directed us to the touchscreen opposite. I bet if I had negative comments he wouldn't have done :p

A lot is also down to budgets. Merlin do give large budgets to new rides, £18 million for The Smiler is a good example. That's for more than say Wodan at EP cost. They're prepared to do that as spending money on new rides will get people into the park. I'd imagine CBeebies Land is probably costing at least £10 million when you take into account the cost of the IP and the marketing.

Merlin will not give large budgets for things that do not either get more people through the gates of directly generate more income. I think directly is the key word there. Sprucing up the park for example; it would cost a fair amount of money but it is something that needs to be done. Merlin won't give any form of substantial budget for it as it is not going to directly increase revenue. However chances are it may indirectly increase revenue. If the park is looking fresher and better people will generally feel better about it, therefore making them more likely to spend when in the park. I don't think that has ever crossed Merlin's minds though.

Indeed - but park maintenance is part of what makes visitors keep going back. Like you said, while it may not directly get people through the gate, I have no doubt it certainally makes them go back if they are impressed - new ride or not.

I just cant see why they need to build this new log cabin style accomodation given the current set up still isnt working properly. The restaurants in the hotels can barely cope at peak times, the waterpark gets very overcrowded and the entertainment is awful in both hotels. Merlin's answer - build another hotel and get even more people paying through the nose for a substandard product.

Accommodation is the only truly income generating part of the resort, I think their plan is for the park to act as a loss-leader for the accommodation side.

I have a horrid feeling that the reason the food outlets have been on restricted opening is because they are seeing the pre-CBeebies season as only half operations, which is just stupid.

Wouldn't surprise me if next week everything starts opening again!

Dave said:
I have a horrid feeling that the reason the food outlets have been on restricted opening is because they are seeing the pre-CBeebies season as only half operations, which is just stupid.

Which I believe to be very concerning, especially if opening anything new happens in May from now on as opposed to opening everything at the start of the season. This leaves a two month period of this atrocious system that has been developed that will repeat itself year after year.

If they kept at this system (assuming it is the case) then surly in a few years time people will have caught on and not visit in March/April/start of May, resulting in the park pretty much being a ghost town for the first part of the year. Seems pretty pointless, they may as well keep the park closed until May in future.

Having half operations and nothing new makes the start of the season a pointless time to bother visiting. Why pay the same in April for half the offerings as you could in June with the full package? I'll start visiting at the end of the season if this new way continues to be the case.

Danny said:
Dave said:

Which I believe to be very concerning, especially if opening anything new happens in May from now on as opposed to opening everything at the start of the season. This leaves a two month period of this atrocious system that has been developed that will repeat itself year after year.

Indeed. I have a feel that all future new attractions at Merlin parks will open in May rather than the start of the season; what with The Smiler, CBeebies Land and Angry Birds Land. It is not an excuse to run the first two months of the season as if no one is actually visiting.

Although saying that this coming Saturday is down as a 5pm ride close on the website. Somehow I think that wuill be extended, I'd expect the park to be somewhat rammed full of families and screaming kids!

This sort of business should be able to adapt to the weather though. Hot sunny weather = more guests = more cold drinks and more ice creams. Should also equal longer opening times if possible.

Re: 2014: General Discussion

GaryH said:
Should also equal longer opening times if possible.

Don't forget this is the same park that despite the gorgeous weather and thousands of people on park on The Smiler's opening day last year, turned down the chance to cash in on at least three hours extra of revenue, insisting on closing at half 5.

All common sense for running a theme park has literally been lost for quite an extended period of time now.

Rob said:
Danny said:
Dave said:

Indeed. I have a feel that all future new attractions at Merlin parks will open in May rather than the start of the season; what with The Smiler, CBeebies Land and Angry Birds Land. It is not an excuse to run the first two months of the season as if no one is actually visiting.

Although saying that this coming Saturday is down as a 5pm ride close on the website. Somehow I think that wuill be extended, I'd expect the park to be somewhat rammed full of families and screaming kids!

It's gonna be 6pm this weekend, but for some reason no-one thought to update the website...

Benzin said:
Rob said:
Danny said:
Dave said:

It's gonna be 6pm this weekend, but for some reason no-one thought to update the website...

How do you know? Do you work there, or do you know someone who works there? :)