• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

So what exactly was the point of this so called 'soundtrack' they've had made if they can't play it anywhere?

Along with the lighting issue, this Enchanted Village literally has nothing going for it. I can't understand why they chose to build lodges instead of the long overdue 3rd hotel.

So what exactly was the point of this so called 'soundtrack' they've had made if they can't play it anywhere?

Along with the lighting issue, this Enchanted Village literally has nothing going for it. I can't understand why they chose to build lodges instead of the long overdue 3rd hotel.
They still play it inside the Crooked Spoon restaurant, albeit fairly quietly. I've only been in there at lunch time during the day, when there's hardly anyone in there due to everyone being on park, but when it gets busier in the evening, especially with the inevitable screaming kids, I don't know how easy it is to hear it. :)

I dont understand how the planning application can say it will cause noise pollution.
Only when everthing has been built and then sound messurments taken in the neighbouring properties can a sound polution assesment be made.

I dont understand how the planning application can say it will cause noise pollution.
Only when everthing has been built and then sound messurments taken in the neighbouring properties can a sound polution assesment be made.

I'm afraid that is not how it works, especially at such a sensitive location such as Alton Towers. A Noise Assessment was formed as part of the planning application and this would have been used when making the decision and setting this condition.

It's frustrating as auido would add a lot to the village but when you consider where it was built then it is also totally understandable.

:)

Have you stayed in a hotel with a young family? :banghead:

I would have thought a 3rd hotel would have been easier to get past planning too, and fit in more with ATH being central with hotels either side (now that's ruined with the lodges plonked beside ATH).
___

The lodges development should have been shelved imo. They should have pushed forward the third hotel and left the lodges as a development later down the line with more careful thought put into it.

However much people say the village is great, it is another Merlin 'that'll do' job and that's evident throughout the whole village, and even more evident when you see how scaled down this is from the original and dropped plans a few years ago.

Ah well, if/when we get a phase two for the lodges I hope they add something more, like a bar, ents venue for big production shows (like trialed in the conference centre in the past), an arcade, bowling alley or just anything that provides more evening entertainment and eases the strain from the hotels during peak periods.

With a phase two I would like to see some other form of accommodation too, maybe something slighter bigger and 'higher up' than the current lodges. Or something like the hobbit holes we saw in those old plans.

I would have thought a 3rd hotel would have been easier to get past planning too, and fit in more with ATH being central with hotels either side (now that's ruined with the lodges plonked beside ATH).
It's not about what will be easier to get passed in terms of planning, it's about the filling the gap that has been identified with a suitable product. Also, despite the big differences between the two hotels, they still provide a hotel stay whereas the village provides a different product for a different audience.

I'd really like to see Alton introduce a camping option in the future, but that somehow feels unlikely.

I never said it was about it being easier to pass planning. Although that is something to be noted considering the lodges have been a bit of a pain in terms of planning.

I don't think the lodges offer anything that different, apart from atmosphere, but each to their own.

When you have Children, you will appreciate the benefit of been able to have a separate bedroom for them to sleep in.

That being said, the Moon Voyager rooms do a good job as well, with the way the walls separate the bunk beds and double beds.

I think being able to sit on the porch in the lodges and drink a beer/glass of wine after a day on park is appealing, although if the weather is not nice, I think the hotels would be better.

Its nice to have an extra choice, its just a shame that the price of the hotel does not justify what you are getting.

Ian

^ Absolutely. There's nothing stopping village guests heading over the the hotels in the evening, is there? I think it's an absolute slam dunk for families. Parents can have a beer or two out on the front within earshot of the kids. Also, when you're in a hotel it's very much silo syndrome, if you had the (mis)fortune to go to a holiday camp as a child, you may recall a real sense of temporary community came to be sometimes, in the few nights you spent there.

I'm not sure what occupancy rates are like in the hotels these days, but I assume that was factored in to the decision to do something a little different.

All good stuff, a nice addition. If they had built a third hotel, there would be people complaining that they wanted something different. Just the way it goes.

If anyone's not seen it, here's the new Enchanted Village advert...

If only the village looked more like that depiction. :(

If anyone's not seen it, here's the new Enchanted Village advert...

If only the village looked more like that depiction. :(
if only
t2307.gif

but who is the naughty boy in the next vid taking on ride videos...
eusa_naughty.gif

Well the advert is nice, and no mention or shot of the theme park! I guess this advert has been created since the smiler crash, as they could have just used the advert from earlier this season.

It's a nice advert, just a shame the village doesn't look white like that, but give it a few years and it might.

Also seems odd they can't have music outside, as there isn't anyone living near there is there?

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. I stayed at TEV a couple of nights back and thought that it was an excellent addition to the resort. The atmosphere to me was very continental with numerous things for the kids to do. I've never stayed at the resort before so I haven't experienced just the hotels but I was impressed with what was on offer. There was archery, treasure hunts and circus skills to keep the kids entertained as well as the little play areas dotted around and the mushroom hunt.

The rooms were brilliantly quirky with fantastic little touches like the pixie doorway with the light in the window and the ornate rustic light fittings. I was even impressed with the hotel TV system which I've never seen in any hotel before (I've stayed at quite a few with work).

Of course it doesn't look like the advert on the telly, crikey I think AT would have to go to some lengths to create a purple sunset every night; perhaps a Truman Show-esque dome would do the trick ;) I noticed many new trees had been planted so when they grow through the feeling of being hidden away will be there.

We ate in The Crooked Spoon restaurant, despite being noisy due to the number of people and kids it was a pleasant dining experience with good food. Ordering at the bar was a bit annoying as there isn't much room there. I've been to numerous bar ordering restaurants that allow you to order from a phone app which would be ideal for TCS as its so busy.

However I am very impressed with The Enchanted Village and will definitely go back.

It's the one thing that annoys me about the crooked spoon. You have to book to get a table, the staff sit you down. Yet you then have to go to the bar and order your food. It just doesn't seem right for a premium product. It's like it's trying to be a bit like a wetherspoons, just not with the prices! It's also annoying if it's busy in there as you have to wait a while to get served.