• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
There's some signs in the shops that state Merlin have taken the decision to apply a charge for their carrier bags and that profits will go to charity.
I assume that means Merlin's Magic Wand... which is basically Merlin's Back Pocket when you think about it. Anyway, that's a discussion for another topic. :p

Nope it wasn't Merlin's Magic Wand. It was something else, can't remember the name, it was Merlin's something... not a charity part of Merlin I've ever heard of (although just like you say it's going into their back pockets either way ).

They do sell them material bags in the shops, they had some behind the counter in the Air shop last week.

It does seem at the moment there is very little merch. I suppose it doesn't help that all the smiler stuff is missing from towers trading as well as all the Air stuff. Plus quite a bit of nemesis and any old sub terra stuff has also been reduced.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446414382.719718.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446414533.312727.jpg

However last time I looked I couldn't find anything on their website about the charity.

I assume they class the scarefest and bags of adrenaline bags as bags for life at the moment, in terms of clothing the amount of it is shockingly limited sizes, all the medium clothing was women's neck, there was only the Orange oblivion shirts in Small and Large in Towers trading apart from the general AT 1980 stuff, and I got the last small, and large of them on Saturday. The rest of the clothing was XL and the hoodies were 3-8 and XL. Was going to go on a huge end of season merch spend but there was barely any small/large shirts and hoodies left. There was pretty much only Oblivion and Rita clothing left in Towers Trading out of all the rides as well.

I can only assume that this is Merlin's 'Force for Good' fund and there are certainly no details of how the plastic bag charge profits are going to be invested on their website. Basically the money is going to enable them to spend more in certain areas.

In terms of merchandise, I'd imagine you might be able to get some good deals in Towers Trading come the weekend. There is a lot of merchanside left that clearly won't be sold next year due to Air having some sort of re-brand/re-theme so they'll need to sell it off somehow. If the prices aren't reduced may be worth trying out some negotiating, especially on Sunday!

:)

In terms of merchandise, I'd imagine you might be able to get some good deals in Towers Trading come the weekend. There is a lot of merchanside left that clearly won't be sold next year due to Air having some sort of re-brand/re-theme so they'll need to sell it off somehow. If the prices aren't reduced may be worth trying out some negotiating, especially on Sunday!

Air merch? All that was left last monday was a couple of polo shirts in Small, vest tops and then the small tat!

Air merch? All that was left last monday was a couple of polo shirts in Small, vest tops and then the small tat!

I was referring to a lot of the generic Alton Towers merch that they have which has Air's logo (along with other major rides) on it. There's some decent stuff left that they won't be selling next year!

I was referring to a lot of the generic Alton Towers merch that they have which has Air's logo (along with other major rides) on it. There's some decent stuff left that they won't be selling next year!

Ahh, that makes more sense, your post confused me at first!

Whoever said the bag charge doesn't apply to them... It does. Any company with more than 100 employees must charge for single use carrier bags. Whether it's a clothes shop, a toy store, a supermarket or whatever. They must charge.

The law also states that the profits made must go to charity. The profits are usually around 4p per bag for most retailers as far as I can see. Again it is law that it must be donated so it will be going somewhere.

The law also states that the profits made must go to charity. The profits are usually around 4p per bag for most retailers as far as I can see. Again it is law that it must be donated so it will be going somewhere.

Pretty sure it's not actually law that retailers etc have to give profits from carrier bags to charity. Most will out of choice and for their reputation, but it's not actually in law that they have to. They would be perfectly entitled to keep all of the money if they wish to.

Yes, its not law.... taken from Government website:

How the proceeds will be used
This is not a tax and the money from the charge does not go to the government.

We expect retailers to donate the proceeds of the scheme to good causes, but it is for them to choose what to do, and which causes to support. Retailers will need to report to us about what they do with the money from the charge, and we will publish this information each year.

The charge in Wales has already generated millions of pounds for good causes.

Pretty sure it's not actually law that retailers etc have to give profits from carrier bags to charity. Most will out of choice and for their reputation, but it's not actually in law that they have to. They would be perfectly entitled to keep all of the money if they wish to.
It might not be set in stone but gov.uk heavily implies that retailers must do so:

3d7fc1aab2cf0a2a6f40d4390101a635.jpg
0132ac3d226467ca63f9fb9141839af6.jpg

Try reading the words in the thread pal. We're talking about whether the profits from the charge have to be given to charity or not, not whether there is an actual law to charge for the bags. I hope you understand this sentence that I have written.

Try reading the words in the thread pal. We're talking about whether the profits from the charge have to be given to charity or not, not whether there is an actual law to charge for the bags. I hope you understand this sentence that I have written.

I see. In which case I agree. Pretty shitty of merlin to favour their own cause rather than something better.

There is no legal requirement to donate anything to charity or 'good causes'. There is simply a policy of naming and shaming companies that don't.

What Merlin is doing is perfectly legal, and their own charity is a good way of covering their rear ends from a PR point of view - just a Merlin's Magic Wand is for refusing to donate raffle prizes etc on a regular basis.

I understand what everyone else means, but at least it is going to a charity. Obviously not the best one, but it's going to a charity. And it's good from a pr point of view, something that towers have really struggled with this season.

(And I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) but merlins magic wand is desperate to merlin entertainments, but under the same body company, merlin. So it's not like it's going straight back into towers)

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.