• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure

Wasn't Spinball only ever temporary anyway? I'd hate to see it moved somewhere else, should definitely be scrapped to make way for the new, even if that is just some sort of pathway to stop CBL becoming a dead end!

I don't think Spinball has ever been a 'problem' from a legal or planning perspective in the past, it was always Oblivion that got mentioned in Court so it may not carry much weight in that regard - though it's not secret management hate the ride so I do agree it's days are certainly numbered.

Plus, I really wouldn't want Towers to set a precedent for a 'one in, one out' policy with the council by removing a significant attraction just to get permission to build something new. There are much better compromises that could be made, ones which would benefit the council, locals and the park which I'd guess the council are more likely to look more favourable upon. Things like improvements to local road infrastructure, a commitment to revisit the bypass plans, investment in public transport links that could benefit the community all year around, etc.

I don't think the park would be setting a precedent by using Spinball as a SW8 bargaining tool. Obviously I'd like more coasters than less but since Spinball was specifically mentioned for removal in the Long Term Dev Plan it would be an ideal tool for bargaining.

You could argue that keeping it up would damage relations with the council since the ride has been earmarked to them for removal.

It was never earmarked for removal. The long term plan referred to relocation only. The long term plan is also noncommittal, it's simply a framework to pre-notifiy the council of the intended scale and level of development across the site.

There really is no need for bargaining tools. Whilst some developments are controversial and the locals are not always happy, the council are very much aware of the importance of a successful Alton Towers to a successful local economy - and unless there is some significant detrimental impact on either the environment or skyline - they really have no grounds for rejecting an application - hence why small token gestures like restoring the orangery and replacing a bit of historic fencing here and there works.

I agree with what you're saying but the LTDP was quite specific with Spinball. Stating its relocation/removal along with lowering the maximum height in that area once it is gone.

Obviously they are under no ruling to go through with what they've said in the plan as things will change. However, it was a more specific point than many other things mentioned and I would hazard a guess that the lowering of the GDO height in that area is specifically mentioned to sweet-talk the council into letting them build a bigger project elsewhere on park.

b6f73852161e716416cdfe8101d1a75e.jpg

I imagine this is official, hopefully what is built is similar to what is described, but I doubt it

If the train is themed like that it will look very nice!

Going back to Spinball for a moment. I suspect if they did use the removal of it as a bargaining chip for SW8 that will purely be because SW8 is something that is pushing the limits of what Towers can and cannot build with ease. Wooden coaster, anyone? There have been some light rumours that a woodie could be a likely possibility so if that is going to be in a tricky location it would be wise to use the removal of Spinball (and lowering the GDO height in that area) as a way to allow them to build a woodie. Which we have seen in the past is a tricky type of ride to apply planning permission for (given the specific areas of the park Towers have looked at).

Even if it's not a woodie the point still stands that Alton Towers may be developing something that will be huge in 2017. I highly doubt we will see a 'one in one out' policy follow that. When it comes to Spinball its days are numbered and Towers have an interest in lowering the GDO height limit in that area. They may as well use the removal of it to their advantage to build something a little more daring than what we've seen for a long time.

Obviously its much what we knew thanks to the above post but It's confirmed that this is "Octonaughts Roller Coaster Adventure" as Youth Fun Days site seems to have released the press release a little early

Full Description:

Dive into CBeebies Land in 2015 and join Captain Barnacles and crew as The Octonauts head to Alton Towers Resort with a brand new attraction. The Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure opens on Saturday 21stMarch and will see little thrill seekers ride on My First Coaster as they board the convoy of GUPs for a rescue mission with some of their favourite characters.

Through interactive elements children will be able to discover some fascinating sea creatures and learn about some of the Octonauts most exciting missions as they take a tour of the Octopod. Learn about the Octonauts mission to explore new underwater worlds, rescue amazing sea creatures and protect the ocean before heading to the launch bay to join the GUP convoy with Captain Barnacles in the driving seat. On your roller coaster adventure help Peso rescue a baby whale, give Dashi a wave as you pass her camera and look out for some cool creatures hidden on the sea floor!

Last edited:
give Dashi a wave as you pass her camera and look out for some cool creatures hidden on the sea floor!

Does this mean this could be the first ride in CBeebies Land to have an on ride photo?

This has been the worse kept secret for a new ride at towers it has to be said. Yet with just over a month until it opens they still aren't advertising it ANYWHERE!

I would hope there's some in-park advertising this weekend onwards for Feb half term. Cannot see much external advertising, in March there will probably just be a reply of the CBeebies Land advert from last year with a voiceover talking about the new ride.

Do you think we could see a small aquarium to enhance the expirience, I know they already have a pritty large one but with it being an ocean based experience it would be a shame not having actual fish.

Or they could retheme one of the tanks in Sharkbait Reef, a bit like the Th13teen themed tanked in 2010?

I was thinking a small aquarium on site, perhaps part of the queue. Something along the lines of Manta at Seaworld, obviously totally different scale.

TowersStreet have posted images on Facebook showing a complete track layout, alongside the trains:

10991258_826462660757513_8585101838234588765_n.jpg

10452354_826462237424222_7659791901199775938_n.jpg

I have to say, the layout looks a little more substantial than I expected and the train matches the concept art. It looks pretty funky :)

It looks superb! I can't wait to ride it as it looks like a fun little addition :)

Do we still not know who the manufacturer is?

Zamperla - but it's a far more solid looking track and an improved layout.

Reactions: Ted