• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure

I can just imagine it being a less thrilling version of RMT, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, Just not an interesting concept to me.

How many times do you need to indicate that this is not an interesting concept to you? It hardly takes a scientist. You are an adult, everyone on this forum is pretty much aged over 16 therefore you don't need to remind everyone that it is not suited to our target audience!

The ride is perfectly adequate and will fit a gap in the park coaster landscape that has been horribly barren for the past few seasons since Beastie was closed. It is actually quite embarrassing that such a scale of coaster was not built sooner.

How many times do you need to indicate that this is not an interesting concept to you? It hardly takes a scientist. You are an adult, everyone on this forum is pretty much aged over 16 therefore you don't need to remind everyone that it is not suited to our target audience!

The ride is perfectly adequate and will fit a gap in the park coaster landscape that has been horribly barren for the past few seasons since Beastie was closed. It is actually quite embarrassing that such a scale of coaster was not built sooner.
Because unless I state that it's my opinion I feel like I'll get flamed, Which has happened anyway.

But you have stated it twice. You don't need to say that it's 'not for you' - that is perfectly obvious because you are not a 5 year old.

If you don't think such a rollercoaster is a good idea at Alton Towers then just say so!

:)

My second comment was more in backup to Diogo's, I think it's a great idea that they're filling a gap that was previously barren, I love that they're constantly developing with fresh ideas! It's more than a lot of us can say about some british parks.

Indeed. Alton Towers are good at the new additions, they seem to get the lions share out of all the Merlin parks. What they aren't good at is spending the money on general improvements and/or development of events.

But hey... I guess it's one or the other.

As a ride i have no interest in experiencing it, it's just interesting to see it as part of the parks development. It's the same with CBeebies land, its got nothing for me but i still wanted it to be good, for the park as a whole.

I'll post on here what I posted on FB yesterday; on paper this should be perfect and fill the gap that Beastie's removal created. My concern is with the manufacturer. Zamperla aren't exactly known for quality attractions. What worries me is whether or not the trains and/or track will last as long as it needs to?

Regardless of how much money a park gives to a manufacturer, you can't just force quality out of a company if they aren't capable of providing it in the first place. Zamperla attractions are infamous for their faults, poor trackwork, etc... Hopefully the lower speed of this will mean you won't feel the jolts in the same way as Zamperla's larger coasters (listen to the riders on Thunderbolt in various videos).

This isn't doing any complicated manoeuvres at any great speed, I can't see how vibration or roughness could be introduced anywhere. Plus it's also on a constant downward gradient, so there's no airtime to worry about causing issues!

It doesn't have to do anything spectacular though. Check out LTC's website for ride faults that they've recorded and you'll find that most are from Zamperla's products (none of the ones listed are remotely large or complex machines compared to many other theme park attractions out there). The most common faults are cracks appearing in frames and trackwork (especially on their Disko's and Balloon rides which resulted in warnings being issued to all owners of the various ride types).

I'll add that none of Vekoma's rollerskaters do anything special either, yet every single one I've been on has rattled like hell, and upon inspection, half of the wheels on the trains are still spinning because they're not against the track. Vekoma are by no means on-par with Intamin, Mack, B&M, GCI, etc... but they're capable of better quality than Zamperla.

It would be a shame if there were only one train - it looks like there's a brake run before the turn into the station so they could easily stack two trains and double the capacity. It would preclude two consecutive laps but I think that's a small price to pay for a twice-as-high throughput, especially in such a capacity-constrained popular section of the park.

I should add though, I'm really glad they've built this, it's been really needed for a number of years.

As long as this ride achieves 20+ dispatches per hour then it will be fine.

Kids coasters almost always have low throughput because they're rarely built with airgates (usually loading and unloading are on the same side). In this case, the small train means the throughput is much lower than it could be, I'm expecting 250-300/hr

But you have stated it twice. You don't need to say that it's 'not for you' - that is perfectly obvious because you are not a 5 year old.

If you don't think such a rollercoaster is a good idea at Alton Towers then just say so!

I cant wait to go on it! Of course only cause my little lad will want to go on it ;)

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the stance Zamperla can't do quality. There's no doubt there off the shelve rides are targeted at the lower end budget, but what's to say their bespoke work is not better? After all, all/most Disney Resorts feature their rides and they're up there near the pinnacle of theme park quality.

But I guess, if it's not Mack or B&M, then it must be s**t. That's the TowersStreet way right? :p

B&M gets plenty of hate here (not least by me) but I agree with your sentiment. There is a general assumption that things can't improve, yet everyone loves MACK who have only recently hit the thrill market and their older coasters are hardly smooth.

Zamperla have every chance of boosting their product, and making it better. For a start the structural integrity of this ride looks vastly improved.