• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure

I'm not saying there won't be any new rides, I'm just saying any rides that are installed will have a small budget.

Don't take the LTD plan as gospel, if it was a plan of exactly what's going to happen we would now be in the middle of significant car parking changes. Clearly that's not happening.

I'm expecting a large investment in 2016, however I'm far from convinced it will be SW8. Unless they decide to class a non coaster as an SW. Then 2015 is guaranteed to be a small investment year; unless something's gone wrong we will see something new I think.

:)

While there is no evidence that Merlin have moved Alton into a 4 year cycle for major investments, they have done for a lot of their parks-

Thorpe next major investment will be 2016 at the earliest (4 years after the swarm)

Garda land- dive coaster in 2015 4 years after raptor

Legoland- major investment next year in Ghost, 4 years after the last major investment in Atlantis

What is clear though Merlin no longer seem to follow the major investment followed by a low investment then a medium investment cycle. Merlin seem to treat each parks investments more individually now rather than the same investment cycle for all parks. parks like Gardaland, Heide park and thorpe park only seem to get low investment between major rides. Where Alton still get years with medium sized investments.

Last edited:
Plans change all the time so you can never really rely on what's happened in the past, or what rumours are going around. Especially at Towers, plans can change overnight there.

The theme park is just fine with roller coasters for now I think. The Smiler has rounded off the variety of rides available quite well. A dark ride seems the next logical step for a big investment. 2015 will almost certainly be a low to medium investment year for the theme park. The lodges will not affect the park investments at all.

Alton Towers is a weird one as they don't follow patterns like other parks do. Towers is a big park and has a big draw of guests. So it's the only park that Merlin really do pump in millions year on year. It really wouldn't surprise me if we saw two big investment years, a dark ride in 2016, SW8 in 2017. But then as I say plans can change overnight with them so god-knows what we will see in reality over the coming years.

You've got to give it to Merlin, despite their flaws, in terms of investments they have spoiled Towers since 2008.

I think next year will be something small and minor, as much as I would love a new dark ride or some flats I just can't see it happening.

It would make sense to put a cheap flat ride where Submission was and even a small coaster in CBeebies Land, both of which wouldn't really cost much, Submissions queue line is still there, so that can save some money :p You could then market the park at thrill guests with the flat ride and also kids with CBeebies Land.

We haven't seen any planning documents yet, but it depends where and what the new rides are, if they are in some areas of the park they won't need permission anyway. We will just have to keep an eye out on the planning website, and also at towers for any sign of construction anywhere. But if its a minor ride construction could take place late in the season, or even during the winter only.

Most haunted the ride...............

Based in hex, start off gallery with film equipment scattered around, next. Yvette herself talking to you about the chained oak legend and the earl of Shrewsbury blah blah blah.

Octagon room. Yvette and team get excited by catching some dust I mean orbs in this area. Yvette is drawn to a secret compartment that nobody has ever seen before, lights flash, people scream. Yvette kicks a cupboard and yells........................

Next they discover the branch and Derek Achora gets poessesd by the ghost of the earl, room spins.

At the end add a parapsychologists to disprove everything that has just happen.

Exit threw her ladyships garden (Giggerty)

Alton can still handle another big coaster. And need it.

On those busier days particularly, The Smiler skewed the queues a bit but The Smiler was the first proper Towers style thrill coaster investment since Oblivion! Rita is a great ride but we all know it's not really Towers material, air is hardly thrill, SW6 despite the marketing was a family ride - so whilst it does have lots of track and cars on site, I still firmly believe Towers needs another big thrill machine that returns to the days of innovation and creativity.

As much as I genuinely love The Smiler, that's not it.

Went to Alton for the first time in five months yesterday, was nice to return on such a quiet day! Anyway, to the poit of my post...

As we were being dispatched for our third go in a row on Spinball, the one female operative was speaking to another and said "They are having another baby ride there next year, they are knocking down the playground as well and putting it there" "Where the beastie used to be?" "Yeah!"

You can believe me, you can disbelieve me... But that's what I heard and I've no reason to lie! Would make massive sense to me to give another reason to return to the "land" for kids next year.

That sounds about right to me. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a new kids coaster there next year; it's badly needed and will bring back families.

:)

Probably a Zamperla kids coaster, cheapest option possible. Will come with their vile, shiny, PVC theming too. Ah well, a credit is a credit!

Are we talking tiny coaster Beastie/Caterpillar style do you reckon? Or slightly bigger?

You actually count those as credits? If you do, I am counting the travellater at my local Asda as it goes sufficiently quicker, has a track, and moves.

Are we talking tiny coaster Beastie/Caterpillar style do you reckon? Or slightly bigger?

You actually count those as credits? If you do, I am counting the travellater at my local Asda as it goes sufficiently quicker, has a track, and moves.

Personally I'm holding out for something like Stampbanan at Liseberg. Definitely a credit, well within Towers budget so they could afford at least ten of them, and there's the thrill of debating whether or not you'll stall it on the lift...

130515_vagn_2_35.jpg

That's quite cute by all accounts! IF they theme those horrible supports.

Also, why on the bottom right of the picture does it look like the track just stops? Seems a bit extreme for a kiddie coaster?

To be honest, its a long shot but I would love new rides themed around the minstry of joy. I went to AT yesterday and really loved the entire theming of X-sector. The smiler is a great ride and I loved queueing for it (Dont say that often!)

To be honest, its a long shot but I would love new rides themed around the minstry of joy. I went to AT yesterday and really loved the entire theming of X-sector. The smiler is a great ride and I loved queueing for it (Dont say that often!)
You're the first person I know who's enjoyed queueing for The Smiler with the length of the queues we were experiencing yesterday. I assume you were using the main queue as oppose to fastrack/single rider/disabled?

People in my group ended up queueing 2+ hours for it, which I believe was the queue length all day. They said that they were going mad by near the end of the wait, and felt well and truly hypnotised.