• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Damn, I was going to say Diogo will like this, but he beat me to it.

Is there any chance the mods could install something that when TheMan & Diogo both post it automatically likes each others posts? ;)

It's because we both speak sense. We can't help it if others don't. That's your problem. Deal with it :D

Well, they do say "misery loves company" ;)

And for you "ignorance is bliss" or should I coin a new phrase "arrogance is bliss" :p

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, I am quite happy in the former thanks :D

I think you'd find me quite humble in areas I don't know about, such as the great artists etc on this site... but where this VR stuff is concerned, what I feared the industry would do, it's doing at a pace I didn't even expect and being serious I think it should be something that's not greeted with anything other than skepticism in terms of strapping it to every ride going.

AR, that I would welcome more of, and perhaps on smaller coasters - but discouraging people to ride thrilling or unique coasters as they're designed, for a fad, of sticking a phone to your head.

No one's going to convince me that's the right way to go.

Just like social media has largely taught people how to NOT communicate... this will be no different.

Really hope it's a passing fad, it will have its place on certain coasters I think and I welcome that, but a mass roll out, just no. No. Will never change my mind on that.

ACTUAL. REALITY.

(Just to counter that slightly though, having them as options to enjoy it a bit different, I don't mind that - my concerns as I say, are the fact in may encourage a lazy design & people will not just enjoy the ride itself).

I think you maybe blowing it a little out of proportion somewhat. So far it's 11 coasters out of thousands, no doubt there will be more but I can't see it flooding the market. It'll just be another staple park requirement to have one along with an invert, flawless, wingrider, launch, woodie etc. I know you both like to wear tinfoil hats but it's just a new experience, there will be plenty of coasters left to offer the realism you seek. Don't forget though, people like to escape to themeparks to get away from reality, this is just another branch of escapism. Your reality is not the general public's reality.

In theme parks I find AR far more exciting than VR.

In the case of throwing VR onto an existing coaster, well, that's a short term idea, a way to market a ride as new when you've done a cheap job of it. I'm not sure how other parks will manage it although for Towers like I've said before, it's reminding me of Sub-Terra, it will have high costs when the park faces constant cuts. In 3-5 years they will have had enough and rip it all out, then Galactica will be a generic space themed ride that makes no sense.

I'm not totally against the idea of VR. It's good to see Towers and other parks are experimenting and discovering new ways of transporting guests into other worlds, and I like to give new things a try. I can't see it being something that sticks in the industry though. As mentioned it kind of isolates you from the interaction you get from actual pieces of theming, the landscape, enjoying a ride with friends, family or just strangers. It takes away the social aspect theme parks offer and that's why I believe VR won't be long lasting. It doesn't quite 'fit' the reason we visit theme parks.

Have there ever been any examples of surprise 'soft openings' at Alton?

I don't have much experience of new attractions opening after the park reopens as, sounding like an old man, this concept of new rides opening after the park reopening is new to me (even if it is only be five days in this case.)

Anyway, I'm going on the 19th and 20th and its slightly annoying that Galactica opens four days later, I just wondered if AT have had soft openings in the past? (For example I'm aware that Universal Studios allowed people to ride The Mummy a few weeks before the official launch.) Especially as there is presumably not a great deal to be done here as obviously the actual ride and majority of infrastructure is already complete.

The Reopening of the Smiler was a nice surprise but I loved Air (I actually went for its opening in 2002 which is a worryingly long time ago) and it will be a bit disappointing if I have to wait another few months until my next visit to ride this one again.

Have there ever been any examples of surprise 'soft openings' at Alton?

I don't have much experience of new attractions opening after the park reopens as, sounding like an old man, this concept of new rides opening after the park reopening is new to me (even if it is only be five days in this case.)

Anyway, I'm going on the 19th and 20th and its slightly annoying that Galactica opens four days later, I just wondered if AT have had soft openings in the past? (For example I'm aware that Universal Studios allowed people to ride The Mummy a few weeks before the official launch.) Especially as there is presumably not a great deal to be done here as obviously the actual ride and majority of infrastructure is already complete.

The Reopening of the Smiler was a nice surprise but I loved Air (I actually went for its opening in 2002 which is a worryingly long time ago) and it will be a bit disappointing if I have to wait another few months until my next visit to ride this one again.

I Reckon that's the whole point of the Annual Pass Preview, Hopefully they think clever and think that a lot of enthusiasts will be visiting opening day so make the preview then!

I Reckon that's the whole point of the Annual Pass Preview, Hopefully they think clever and think that a lot of enthusiasts will be visiting opening day so make the preview then!

It would make sense especially given the Flume and Ripsaw will be absent, so Galactica being closed is one of 3 rides that I would have ridden now shut. I'm still holding out hope that Hex and Sub Terra won't be closed as given there has been no comment on either as yet it would be pretty irresponsible marketing on Merlin's part if they were.

I realise that 4 days out of the season is nothing in the scheme of things but it's still annoying and surely avoidable (what really is so urgent to keep the ride closed for an extra 4 days?)

I realise that 4 days out of the season is nothing in the scheme of things but it's still annoying and surely avoidable (what really is so urgent to keep the ride closed for an extra 4 days?)
it is most likely to prevent the fallout from the smiler opening effecting Galacticas PR.

it is most likely to prevent the fallout from the smiler opening effecting Galacticas PR.

In which case you'd imagine a soft opening would be the ideal situation.

It would be irritating to be there and not be allowed on the ride as I'm not a MAP holder, for example.

In which case you'd imagine a soft opening would be the ideal situation.

It would be irritating to be there and not be allowed on the ride as I'm not a MAP holder, for example.
But the cameras which are pointed at the smiler will end up pointed at galactica and then cue the opened new ride so soon, trapped riders for 20 mins at higher of summer yada yada yada.

I think a soft opening would have been a good idea if it wasn't for the smiler but it's bad enough having their last large investments name dragged through the mud never mind the name of their next medium investment.

I think a soft opening would have been a good idea if it wasn't for the smiler but it's bad enough having their last large investments name dragged through the mud never mind the name of their next medium low investment.

Corrected that for you! ;)

We'll find out on Monday but I reckon the preview may be for an hour or two one evening after the park has closed.

:)

VR is optional though.....

How dare a park give consumers a choice....if you don't want to ride it with VR because it's unsociable then DON'T!

It would make a buzz if they hid galactica tickets for a soft opening. Each ticket is a row.

I think random soft openings are probable, but the time/frequency are anyone's guess.

VR is optional though.....

How dare a park give consumers a choice....if you don't want to ride it with VR because it's unsociable then DON'T!

Going on Air is optional... going to Alton Towers is optional... going to theme parks is optional. I think you've kind of missed the point, people are challenging how something like VR can affect the core aims of the theme park experience.

People who don't want to experience VR will of course avoid it. However that doesn't mean we can't challenge new technologies being implemented in theme parks. If we kept quiet and didn't criticize anything then this forum would be a very boring place.

-

With all these for/against views on VR. This article sums up quite well the against views. @TheMan and @DiogoJ42 will like this :p http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/3/11151730/samsung-gear-vr-six-flags-virtual-reality-roller-coaster

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.