• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Ha ha. It's great, you have to walk over hot coals barefoot to simulate the heat on your feet from the sun and they'll charge you a tenner for the privilege!!

Technically no, as if it is painted navy it is still "blue"

Inevitably you will get some yahoo who says it is not, as it is now "Royal Blue" as opposed to "Cyan" or something like that.

The one thing you have to remember though, is that these are simply different shades and vibrancies of the same colour, so yes it being navy, even though they have said that they will keep it the same colour, is entirely a possibility.

This, however, is Merlin, so honestly I do not see a full track repaint occurring, maybe slight touch up in places that look terrible, but I hope to be proved wrong. Remember though, the only reason they painted Oblivion was because the Smiler next door had made it look terrible in contrast, cut corner where corners can be cut is Merlin's Mantra!!

The only thing that made me think that we might see some repaints in closed season is because of the line in the TLC blog which specifically mentioned painting rollercoasters. Naturally this would lend itself to air rather than actually reprainting a ride which isn't receiving any other changes.

I see your thinking there. They can kill 2 birds with one stone there by claiming Air is now "New for 2016" on one hand and then categorising it under TLC work on the other by saying it's a repaint.

So Air is to get space theme then?

Why bother with themed areas at Alton Towers if they can't be bothered to be faithful to them.

An apocalyptic monster, space themed flight and a woodie in one area. No contrived storytelling is going to make that work.

The thing is... I kinda understand the cheap theming. Look at how well themed Swarm is... And the ride bombed. They (Merlin) probably just think what's the point.

The point is they're halfway there. They nailed the theming aspect of The Swarm and I will always tip my hat to them for it. The theming and marketing hit their target audience perfectly, but the ride itself is not up to the offerings of what the other coasters at Thorpe provide to guests on a specific thrill level. Had the ride lived up to its theming, it'd have been a greater success.

There's a chance to armour Air with two genuine 'wow' moments for the general public in the form of VR, and some great theming. It doesn't have to be gigantic space ships roaring off from the ground, but something bold and visionary to enforce the statement that the park are trying to get across with the VR route would be ideal.

I have a feeling it is a hidden link. and that press were emailed to invite them to the event and the link was included in that email.

A promotional video: "In space you can't hear yourself (scream because there is no air)"...

Certainly a catchy tagline there (and definitely original :rolleyes:)

Not catchy - but probably there to imply to press that Air is leaving the parks lineup in its current guise. By including air in the long-winded brackets it spells it out for the uninitiated l guess.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.