• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Technically, it is replacing air. Air did occupy the space, now galactic does. You can no longer ride air. It might be the same ride, but it has been replaced (if that sentence makes any sense :p)
The actual ride Air isn't being replaced, that'd be like using a similar analogy to saying that the 'Pepsi Max Big One' was replaced by 'The Big One'. In reality the only thing here that's being partially replaced is the ride experience, which if you don't wear the VR headsets isn't actually being replaced. The only thing that will be completely different is the name, arguably the station in some respects too.

I think of myself as an optimist, but I have my doubts that this is what AT needs to draw in the punters. Air was perfectly designed within AT planning restrictions to give the euphoric ability to fly and I think it did this really well. John Warley has in the past stated that he is not fond of retrofitting rides (haunted house to duel anyone).

Personally I have always thought of VR, along with 3D to be a gimmick and an irritating one at that. Here's hoping that the technology has evolved to deliver a better experience.

I can just about see the point of using this technology to enhance a sedentary experience such as sitting in a chair watching a screen, but fail to see the point of doing it the other way round (taking a real roller coaster, with real sensations, in the real world and turning it into a virtual experience glaring into a piece of plastic). I will of course be the first to come on here and admit I was wrong, if it works.

I hope that Merlins "exciting plans for Forbidden Valley" do not now mean this alone. I guess we can be thankful that it isn't the awesome Nemesis that is being butchered.

Here's hoping that after a period of stabilisation AT receives the investment that it needs to build on its long tradition of world class coasters. AT needs to be a player on the European and world stage, not just a regional one.

Let's see the ambition return.

Someone asked Alton towers"
So you have to pay extra for this???

Alton towers facebook said:
Galactica will be included in the entry price to the theme park.

Not sure if this means the ride is free (although their full post implies they were asking about the vr). Doesn't seem like something merlin would do - miss out on the chance to make more money.

Someone asked Alton towers"

Not sure if this means the ride is free (although their full post implies they were asking about the vr). Doesn't seem like something merlin would do - miss out on the chance to make more money.
Charging for it would take the biscuit a bit. They wouldn't get away with charging extra for it! You pay £50 to get in and then another £5 every time you want to ride one of the six rides you paid £50 to get on! Even Merlin aren't stupid enough to charge for it!

maybe they'll ask for a deposit (maybe £5?) for the use of a VR head set then refund it after the ride, so if Someone broke the headset, they wouldn't get their deposit back.

Last edited:
maybe they'll ask for a deposit (maybe £5?) for the use of a VR head set then refund it after the ride, so if somone broke he headset, they wouldn't get their deposit back.
Surely that would effect throughput massively with all the faff of taking everyone's payments and then there's the extra staff needed to take payments and sort out the refunds

People have some interesting ideas about how this is going to work. Realistically for it to have any throughput and be safe and clean the vr headset either needs to be given to you to fit in a batching area before getting on the ride and then secured to the restraints or part of it is given to you to fit to your head then the actual screen part attaches to it once you are in your seat. If they did it the second way then the part you put on your head would be cleaned without having to invest in loads of the expensive bit. As for charging to go on the ride with the vr option, no chance

although riders wouldn't be able to get the headsets fully on in the pre-show rooms, as they wouldn't be able to see where they were walking!

although riders wouldn't be able to get the headsets fully on in the pre-show rooms, as they wouldn't be able to see where they were walking!

Don't you think it's going to be like a visor like on the visuals. Like a clear goggle, then the screens get latched onto them when you get on the ride? Like a screen in front of the goggle? Which is attached to the shuttle which then clicks onto the goggles.

That would explain how they get cleaned after every ride as they could all be washed like 3D glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a picture of the setup a couple of pages back. I don't think they'll attach it after boarding, it seems to easy for a busy, overworked host to forget one and leave it smashing about around the ride.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.